Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2007, 02:12 AM   #1
Lobo59
Lobo59 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If I sell my PRS-500 can the Classic books go too?

I'm planning on selling my PRS-500 and I'm wondering if I can transfer the 100 free Classic books that came with it to the new owner? I've authorized the Reader with my Connect account, do the 100 books stay with the Reader or the account? Any ideas? (I've upgraded and now have two sets of 100 Classic books???)

Thanks... Lobo59
Lobo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They stay with the account. Make sure that you "unregister" the Reader from the account before you sell it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Lobo,

The books stay with the account. The old reader can be deauthorized if you wish it to be.

Did you purchase any books? Because those would transfer as well if you were to transfer your account to the new owner of your reader.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They stay with the account. Make sure that you "unregister" the Reader from the account before you sell it.
Are you sure the books go with the reader and not the account? I'll give Connect Support a call and find out for sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
Lobo,

The books stay with the account. The old reader can be deauthorized if you wish it to be.

Did you purchase any books? Because those would transfer as well if you were to transfer your account to the new owner of your reader.
He's not giving up the account, just the reader since he's upgraded to a 505.
Advert
Old 10-13-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you sure the books go with the reader and not the account? I'll give Connect Support a call and find out for sure.
Please read what I actually said, Jon . I said that the books go with the account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please read what I actually said, Jon . I said that the books go with the account.
Oh right. My mistake. Sorry.

Of course, what could be done is to call Sony Connect and see if they would be able to transfer the credit to the other person's account once the other account is all set up.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
He's not giving up the account, just the reader since he's upgraded to a 505.
But he could easily give up the account if all he has on it are the free books. That's why I was asking him what I was asking him.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Lobo59

Yep I've bought a few books. I'll call Sony CS and see what they have to say as far as transferring the account etc. It'd be a nice selling point if I could include the classics with the sale. Good point on de-authorizing the reader before I ship it, that would cause a problem! Thanks all!

Lobo
Old 10-15-2007, 10:55 PM   #10
Lobo59

Unhappy

Talked to Sony today and they said that the Ebooks are tied to the Reader and that once registered the Free Classic books aren't transferable.... Bummer... I was hoping that the free books were tied to someone opening a new account at the Connect Website....
Old 10-15-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
So if the books are tied to the Reader then they transfer to whoever you sell the Reader. If they were tied to the account then they stay with you and are on the Reader since they were validated when transfered to the Reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 PM   #12
Lobo59

I spoke to two people at Sony and they both said that the Free Classic Books are credited to an account when a reader is authorized and that that can happen only once per Reader as the Connect website records the serial number of the reader and that is the policy (A reader can get the credit only once). So, when I authorized the reader to my account, that "punched" that readers free classics ticket.... I didn't explain it well in my previous post, sorry abt that! So, as far as I can tell I can sell the reader and give my current Connect account to the new owner and thereby losing all the books I've bought or sell it without the freebees!