Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Thumbs up Dingo 1.11 Released (Pocket eDGe ONLY)

This seems to have some significant bug fixes:

Quote:
  • Youtube application [fixed]
  • Library search [fixed]
  • Music deleted if the download list is cleared [fixed]
  • Reader screen refreshes too frequently in annotator mode [fixed]
  • Docs to Go Google Docs interface [added?]
  • Epub thumbnails are now displayed completely [fixed]
See here for the full release notes.

The large enTourage eDGe apparently will get the corresponding update next week.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
HardBall
Edge User

Great news; hope for it to make to the full-sized eDGe asap, it could not come a day too soon.

Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
Dr. T
Edge User

I'm curious, though, why will it take an additional week for the full-sized eDGe? Is there that much difference in the programming? Or, is there another reason for the delay?

Old 12-16-2010, 01:45 AM   #4
jsfiller
Edge User

They have mentioned that some other things are easier on the PE than on the EE, so that may be it. Also, there may be different bugs on the different devices, which would require different fixes. I don't know anything about programming, so I'm just guessing.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
alex_edge
Edge User

I got the update, and it fixed YouTube, but my epub covers are still showing in mini.

Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_edge View Post
I got the update, and it fixed YouTube, but my epub covers are still showing in mini.
Same here. I think we'd have to remove them from the Library and add them back in for the correct cover thumbnail to be generated.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
alex_edge
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Same here. I think we'd have to remove them from the Library and add them back in for the correct cover thumbnail to be generated.
That seems to have worked. Is there some way to select all and delete from the library? For some reason I've only figured out how to do it one by one, and that's a real pain.

ETA: I figured it out. Sorry, was having a "blond" moment.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_edge View Post
That seems to have worked. Is there some way to select all and delete from the library? For some reason I've only figured out how to do it one by one, and that's a real pain.

ETA: I figured it out. Sorry, was having a "blond" moment.
That would be by tapping the checkmark icon at the top right corner of the Library screen, then tapping the checkmark by each desired book to toggle, then tapping "Delete" at the bottom of the screen

Old 12-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
liz
Edge User

does this update happen on its own..or do i have to download it?

Old 12-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
borisb
Edge User

You have to apply the update (at best you'll get a notification an update is available). Run the "Update" app to do so.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
kveroneau
Edge User

Isn't there some sort of thumbnail cache folder? say inside the .edge folder? The update should really remove all cached thumbnails and force the Library to re-generate them. This would be the ideal way the update should work.

Great for the YouTube working again! I bought the device and got a tad disappointed when videos would not play, as advertised. Not that I bought the device for playing YouTube videos.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #12
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kveroneau View Post
Isn't there some sort of thumbnail cache folder? say inside the .edge folder? The update should really remove all cached thumbnails and force the Library to re-generate them. This would be the ideal way the update should work.
A reasonable assumption. I took a quick look in .edge and subfolders and didn't immediately see anything.

The enTourage dev team is already overloaded with things like the Android 2.2 update, and other bug fixes and enhancements. A feature such as refreshing the thumbnails may be "easy" to implement, but it's a matter of finding the time (or what to sacrifice as less important). Eventually I'm sure this will get addressed, though. I've noticed various little suggestions that have been made over the months have been quietly slipping into the updates (such as larger checkmarks on the eInk menus so you can actually see them and not assume it was a speck of dust ).

Old 12-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
liz
Edge User

how do you run the update app?

Old 12-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
borisb
Edge User

Drag the "X" symbol near the bottom of the LCD screen upwards. This shows you the list of applications installed on your eDGe. Swipe your finger upwards in the middle of this list of apps until you see "Update" (they're sorted alphabetically). Then tap the "Update" application to run it. Just follow the instructions from there.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
liz
Edge User

I fiound the update app and it says i am running the latest software...so doe hat mean Dingo updated?