Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
SOLVED: How to see the internal memory again

Problem: Formatting the Pocket Pro's internal memory can result in a condition where all computers can see the internal memory and read and write to it, but the device itself cannot see it's own files. Firmware update will not fix this.

Impact: User frustration, money wasted on shipping of devices, devices exchanged, etc.

Parts needed: SDHC card with firmware file on it and inserted in device.

Solution: When flashing firmware, we are taught to hold down the topmost page turn button (arrow pointing to the right) on the left side of the device when held in a vertical orientation. Instead of doing this, hold down the button immediately below it with the arrow pointing to the left and while holding it down then press the power on button.

The device states that it will clean the flash memory (yes, it actually does have a format memory functionality).

It is actually flashing in the firmware so you will need your SDHC card with a firmware file on it, but in addition to the flashing of the firmware it is also erasing the partitions right off the internal memory.

When I plugged it into a Windows 7 laptop, it offered to format the internal memory. State yes and accept the defaults, which are FAT, 8192 block size, etc. For whatever reason (maybe the device, maybe the OS, or the laptop) this took almost 10 minutes instead of a few seconds (I have never seen it take this long before). The device was flashing it's green light, then it would stop and do nothing while flashing the orange charging light, then it would do the green light again and the bar would advance.

Once process is completed, safely remove device, disconnect cable from device, then turn it off, and then back on.

Connect it to any computer, transfer a file over for testing purposes, and do the usual disconnect, reboot, etc. routine et voila!

Observation: Checking the device itself in OS X's disk utility, where it says partition map scheme it says "unformatted", which is different from before when I was trying to do it, and having it say MBR, etc. So this is a key difference compared to before. Incidentally, for OS X users, to safely remove hardware on the Mac, you need to unmount the drives in disk utility before pulling the cable, otherwise be good at timing it after you hit the eject button before they come back.

Probable cause of issue: Deleting partition and recreating it on the drive in a manner it doesn't like, rather than merely erasing the filesystem without deleting the partition.

Statement: My geek-fu is strong.

Last edited by Sunspark; 04-02-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
I'm glad you figured this out, and thanks for posting!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
We need someone to post a sticky on EVERY fix not mencioned in the Faq, it can be useful for everybody else
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
We need someone to post a sticky on EVERY fix not mencioned in the Faq, it can be useful for everybody else
Stickies are not the answer. We could end up with 100 stickies and have to scroll through them every time we want to read this forum. Better to collect them in the wiki and then point to them with a single sticky. Or put them all in a single sticky.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post

The device states that it will clean the flash memory (yes, it actually does have a format memory functionality).
I just went through this with my PP. I should have read what you wrote more thoroughly. I saw this bit and thought that after doing the reflash with clean, that the PP internal memory would be formatted ready to use.

It might be because it strikes an error - mine said invalid block number 9, but it did not format it.

Seems the real piece of luck here is that Windows 7 seems to format the drive in a way that the PP likes.

Not everyone is going to have Windows 7, so I think Astak/Jinke really need a menu option to do everything necessary (wipe/recreate/format) to restore their internal memory
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
oscarb
oscarb began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Ezreader
WOW this is worked like charm!! astak should make a compatible formatting apprication or at least inform us to re format usig only windows 7 formatting tool
oscarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarb View Post
WOW this is worked like charm!! astak should make a compatible formatting apprication or at least inform us to re format usig only windows 7 formatting tool
Windows XP (and Vista) formatting works if your computers USB is compatible
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
oscarb

Hmmm I actually tried both (XP, VISTA) and they didn't work, nothing worked until i tried Win7
Old 06-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same here - only Win7 works.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Same here - only Win7 works.
are we talking Format or Repair?

Repair has worked in XP, but not Ubuntu ???
Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #11
oscarb

repair

I meant only windows 7 formats the internal memory in such way that the PP recognizes it again, thus repairing the problem.
I've tried XP, Vista, Ubuntu and SD Card Formatting tool,with no success n_n
Old 06-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
are we talking Format or Repair?

Repair has worked in XP, but not Ubuntu ???

When it was completely unuseable, the only thing that fixed it for me was to format it in a Windows 7 machine.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I will send this to our tech and if all checks out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
When it was completely unuseable, the only thing that fixed it for me was to format it in a Windows 7 machine.
Dear All:

I will send this to our tech and have him verify. If all cjhecks out I will put this fix word for word into the FAQ sheet to help other users.

Thank you for finding a solution!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

I will send this to our tech and have him verify. If all cjhecks out I will put this fix word for word into the FAQ sheet to help other users.

Thank you for finding a solution!
Buying Windows 7 (and, maybe computer for Apple users.) does not seem to be an acceptable answer :P

Adding a "Format Storage. 1)Internal 2)SDcard " (like most Digital Cameras have) is the clear Winner.

But, Why is the storage using a format that is not a true DOS, FAT (FAT32) compatible?
Sorry to tread rough, but this is not good for a multi-platform connected device.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Buying Windows 7 (and, maybe computer for Apple users.) does not seem to be an acceptable answer :P

Adding a "Format Storage. 1)Internal 2)SDcard " (like most Digital Cameras have) is the clear Winner.

But, Why is the storage using a format that is not a true DOS, FAT (FAT32) compatible?
Sorry to tread rough, but this is not good for a multi-platform connected device.
I suspect the windows 7 has changed the default format and that window xp could also generate the same file format if the user changed the default setting. It is unlikely that Windows 7 can really do something in formatting that earlier systems cannot do. It is likely just a different default.

Forcing people to buy Windows 7 is certainly not the solution.

Note I checked the format of the internal memory and it is definitely FAT32. I believe the default for XP and perhaps Mac's is FAT (FAT16). This may be the problem.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 06-07-2010 at 02:22 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote