Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #16
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Could we do it in the other way?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #17
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
`Enable new home screen`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Could we do it in the other way?
It should work the other way around, but I haven't tested it at all:

Edit: Wait until you see which home screen you get, don't apply the patch if you don't need it.

`Enable new home screen` (paste into libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch)
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Enable new home screen`
patch_enable = `yes`
# HomePageController::newHomeScreenEnabled() --> True
replace_bytes = 736894, 30 46, 01 20
</Patch>

Last edited by GeoffR; 02-24-2017 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Wait until you see which home screen you get, ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
How about changing the 30 to 20? So you have 5,10,15,20,45,60:
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom Sleep/Power-off timeouts for JSWolf`
patch_enable = `yes`
#
# Value displayed on both menus
replace_string = 9D2C3E, `30 mins`, `20 mins`
# Actual value used for sleep menu
replace_int = 80A8F6, 30, 20
# Actual value used for power menu
replace_int = 80AA62, 30, 20
</Patch>
Thank you. That would do very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #19
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It should work the other way around, but I haven't tested it at all:

`Enable new home screen` (paste into libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch)
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Enable new home screen`
patch_enable = `yes`
# HomePageController::newHomeScreenEnabled() --> True
replace_bytes = 736894, 30 46, 01 20
</Patch>
Thank you very much. I think I'm going to try it this evening and I'll be back here with the results.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:42 AM   #20
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
"Enable new home screen" patch worked on my H20. After upgrading to 4.3.8842, I did not have the new home screen. Enabled it in the patch and installed it, and voila! New home screen. Thanks.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to try this tomorrow. I don't have time today to give it a go. But the patches are good to go though. So all I have to do is install the firmware, check which home screen I get and if it's the new one decide if I want to stick with it.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #22
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
GeoffR, is it possible to add these patches

Remove system fonts in Reader list
Remove non-system fonts in Reader list

thank you very much for your work
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #23
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
GeoffR, booth patches (`Enable new home screen` & `Disable new home screen`) are working fine on our H2O and Glo.

Thank you very much.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #24
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@GeoffR,

Nice work with the 'Enable/Disable new Home screen' patches
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #25
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Great work Geoff

I'm having an issue with the `Custom Header menubar - reduce height by 33%` patch, though. It applies, but doesn't seem te work; the menubar stays the default height. Same with the 50% one; I tried that one too.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #26
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I've tested Enable home screen and it works well, thank you. I think I'm going to keep it at the moment. Thank you very much for this patch and for all your work in every FW with them.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #27
imkh
Enthusiast
imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
GeoffR, as a fellow inhabitant of Zealandia I really appreciate the late hours you keep to bring us all this - by my time your last post was at nearly 3am!

Many, many thanks for your work.
imkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #28
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I'm having an issue with the `Custom Header menubar - reduce height by 33%` patch, though. It applies, but doesn't seem te work; the menubar stays the default height. Same with the 50% one; I tried that one too.
It's probably me you need to be talking to for this patch.

Let me double-check it myself on my H2O and I'll get back to you.

In the meantime, a couple of basic questions:
  1. Are GeoffR's patches the only patches you're using to patch the nickel file? i.e. you're not also using some of tshering's 'Modifications for Bad Eyes' or pipcat's alternative nickel patcher, are you? If you were using multiple patching methods then it would be quite easy for each method to be wiping out the changes from the previous method.
  2. Have you also enabled any of the other patches in GeoffR's nickel.patch file? If so are those patches working OK?
  3. When you run 4.3.8842.bat can you confirm that the end of the console log looks something like the following - specifically the 5 red lines:
    Spoiler:

Code:
    //////////////////////////////////////////////
    //                    Patching start
    Read 5608328 bytes from input file 'D:\xxxxxxxxx\4.3.8842_source\nickel'
    Ignoring disabled patch `Disable reading footer`
    Ignoring disabled patch `Custom reading footer style`
    Ignoring disabled patch `Custom synopsis/details line spacing`
    find_base_address: unique string at 0051B562
    Applied patch `Custom Header menubar - reduce height by 33%`
    Ignoring disabled patch `Custom Header menubar - reduce height by 50%`
    Ignoring disabled patch `Changing the info panel in full size screensaver (upper left corner)`
    Ignoring disabled patch `Changing the info panel in full size screensaver (lower left corner)`
    Ignoring disabled patch `Increase The Cover Size In Library`
    Ignoring disabled patch `Dictionary frame size`
    Ignoring disabled patch `Increasing The View Details Container`
    Wrote 5608328 bytes to output file 'D:\xxxxxxxxx\4.3.8842_target\usr\local\Kobo\nickel'
    //                    Patching end
    7-Zip (A) 9.20  Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov  2010-11-18
    Scanning

Creating archive KoboRoot.tar

Compressing  usr
    Compressing  usr\local
    Compressing  usr\local\Kobo
    Compressing  usr\local\Kobo\libadobe.so
    Compressing  usr\local\Kobo\libnickel.so.1.0.0
    Compressing  usr\local\Kobo\librmsdk.so.1.0.0
    Compressing  usr\local\Kobo\nickel

Everything is Ok

7-Zip (A) 9.20  Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov  2010-11-18
    Scanning

Creating archive KoboRoot.tgz

Compressing  KoboRoot.tar

Everything is Ok
    -------------------------------------------------------
    SUMMARY: Everything seems to be O.K.
    -------------------------------------------------------

ETA: The 33% reduction patch is working for me. See attached screenshots from my H20. I haven't applied GeoffR's Custom Footer patch so you can see the difference in depth of the header and footer in the 2nd image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	155257   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	155258  

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-23-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: ETA: Post results
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #29
lkstrummer
Enthusiast
lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony Daily Edition PRS-950SC
Hey GeoffR. Thanks for your work on this.

Regarding 'Custom reading footer style', I'm flashing my H2O from 3.19.5761 to 4.3.8842. I previously used the following values to shrink the footer to my preferred height:

# Example replacement footer height values: AuraHD/H2O/GloHD
replace_string = 001A, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 170;`
replace_string = 002D, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 36px;`
replace_string = 003F, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 36px;`

However, 70px and 36px output an error in the latest patch. I've tried various other combinations and they all result in an error. Currently, I'm using the default values of

# Replacement footer height values: AuraHD/H2O/GloHD
replace_string = 0076, `min-height:80px`, `min-height:52px`
replace_string = 0086, `max-height:80px`, `max-height:52px`

The patch is nearly perfect except for the larger footer than I prefer. Geoff, or anyone else, are there smaller than default values that will output a usable patch?
lkstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstrummer View Post
Hey GeoffR. Thanks for your work on this.

Regarding 'Custom reading footer style', I'm flashing my H2O from 3.19.5761 to 4.3.8842. I previously used the following values to shrink the footer to my preferred height:

# Example replacement footer height values: AuraHD/H2O/GloHD
replace_string = 001A, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 170;`
replace_string = 002D, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 36px;`
replace_string = 003F, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 36px;`

However, 70px and 36px output an error in the latest patch. I've tried various other combinations and they all result in an error. Currently, I'm using the default values of

replace_string = 0076, `min-height:80px`, `min-height:52px`
replace_string = 0086, `max-height:80px`, `max-height:52px`

The patch is nearly perfect except for the larger footer than I prefer. Geoff, or anyone else, are there smaller than default values that will output a usable patch?
I've not yet tried it, but here is my customized patch for the H2O.

Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom reading footer style`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Multi-version patch: 4.0.7523 - 4.3.8842+
# patch_group = `Reading footer alternatives`
#
## This patch customises the following properties of the reading footer:
##
##  * Footer height (the amount of the screen reserved for the footer.)
##  * Caption font size (Caption = page number or other progress indicator)
##  * Caption top margin, which changes its vertical position within the footer.
##  * Caption font family.
#
# When editing the replacement values below, BE CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE THE LENGTH
# OF THE REPLACEMENT STRING! If a replacement string is too long you will get
# an error when making the patch, but if one is too short then there will be no
# error, but strange things will happen to the reading footer.
#
find_base_address = `ReadingFooter {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 105;\n}\n`
replace_string = 0000, `ReadingFooter {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 105;\n}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDragon="true"] {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 170;\n}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDaylight="true"] {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 221;\n}\n#caption {\n  font-size: 16px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix="true"] {\n  font-size: 20px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDragon="true"] {\n  font-size: 26px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDaylight="true"] {\n  font-size: 34px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum="true"] {\n  font-size: 30px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {\n  font-family: Sans-SerifJP, sans-serif;\n  font-style: normal;\n}\n`, `ReadingFooter {qproperty-footerMargin:105;min-height:70px;max-height:70px}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDragon="true"] {min-height:80px;max-height:80px}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDaylight="true"] {min-height:90px;max-height:90px}\n#caption {font-size:16px;margin-top:+00px}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix="true"] {font-size:20px}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDragon="true"] {font-size:26px}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDaylight="true"] {font-size:34px}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum="true"] {font-size:30px}\n#caption[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {font-family:Sans-SerifJP,sans-serif;font-style:normal}\n`
#
# Replacement footer height values: Touch/Mini/Glo/Aura/Aura2E
replace_string = 002A, `min-height:70px`, `min-height:40px`
replace_string = 003A, `max-height:70px`, `max-height:40px`
replace_string = 0076, `min-height:80px`, `min-height:26px`
replace_string = 0086, `max-height:80px`, `max-height:26px`
# Replacement footer height values: AuraOne
replace_string = 00C4, `min-height:90px`, `min-height:68px`
replace_string = 00D4, `max-height:90px`, `max-height:68px`
#
#
# Replacement caption font size value for Touch/Mini:
replace_string = 00EF, `font-size:16px`, `font-size:16px`
# Replacement caption font size value for Glo/Aura/Aura2E:
replace_string = 0137, `font-size:20px`, `font-size:20px`
# Replacement caption font size value for AuraHD/H2O:
replace_string = 016D, `font-size:26px`, `font-size:22px`
# Replacement caption font size value for GloHD:
replace_string = 01DC, `font-size:30px`, `font-size:30px`
# Replacement caption font size value for AuraOne:
replace_string = 01A5, `font-size:34px`, `font-size:34px`
#
#
# Optional Replacement caption top margin value for all devices:
# (A negative top margin moves the caption text upwards,
# further from the bezel and closer to the page content.)
#
#replace_string = 00FE, `margin-top:+00px`, `margin-top:-10px`
replace_string = 00FE, `margin-top:+00px`, `margin-top:-05px`
#
#
# Uncomment the replace_string line below to use a fixed replacement caption
# font family, for all devices: You can change Georgia to another font name of
# your choice, but Avenir or Georgia are recommended because other fonts might
# not be loaded when the book is first opened and so might cause problems.
# Unlike other strings it is OK if this replacement string is a bit longer or
# shorter than the original.
#
#replace_string = 01EC, `#caption[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {font-family:Sans-SerifJP,sans-serif;font-style:normal}\n`, `#caption {font-family:Georgia}\n\0`
</Patch>