Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrew View Post
It just seems to disappear (so to speak) while I read, whereas other fonts seem to draw attention to themselves in one way or another.
I love this description, that's exactly how I feel about Palatino on my PW. Every once in a while I switch to Caecilia or Baskerville just for a change, but I end up noticing them while reading in a way I don't with Palatino.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #17
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If you like Stone, you should get a version which is actually licensed by the designer, Sumner Stone, rather than an old, bad TrueType conversion by Fontographer (which doesn't do a great job of hinting a TrueType).

You should also get the fabulous book: On Stone, The Art and Use of Typography on the Personal Computer. San Francisco: Bedford Arts, 1991. Also published as Typography on the Personal Computer, London: Lund Humphries, 1991.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
If you like Stone, you should get a version which is actually licensed by the designer, Sumner Stone, rather than an old, bad TrueType conversion by Fontographer (which doesn't do a great job of hinting a TrueType).
I've a program that does a great job at hinting TrueType fonts. I've hinted my modified CharisSIL and it looks even better then it did before.

The program is called ttfautohint.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post

You should also get the fabulous book: On Stone, The Art and Use of Typography on the Personal Computer. San Francisco: Bedford Arts, 1991. Also published as Typography on the Personal Computer, London: Lund Humphries, 1991.
Do you have a URL?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:54 AM   #20
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Here: http://www.stonetypefoundry.com/itcstoneoverview.html

The thing about the typefaces are, they are usually not sold for personal use. But, given that personal reading devices are very new, I expect this to change in time. Monotype eText for example is aimed for publishers right now, but if there were a 50$ personal licence for the whole set, I would buy it the moment it comes out.

For more information: http://www.linotype.com/6991/etextfonts.html and http://www.rhatigan.org/mt/tools/

I believe this is why Bitter HT is kind of important. It is first eText typeface for personal use that I know of.

Last edited by GERGE; 02-22-2015 at 02:58 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:23 AM   #21
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Since I have tried Ubuntu font I haven't used any other on my e-ink reader.
I tried many fonts and some of them were very nice for reading, such as Gentium, Droid, liberation sans.
http://font.ubuntu.com/

Also have a look at google fonts for a high quality fonts you do not ahve to pay for. You can download the font even if Google tries to persuade you not to - most people want to use them for their web pages and they really do not need to download, just link to them.
https://www.google.com/fonts
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:55 AM   #22
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
At the moment I'm very partial to Garamond Premier Pro. It's not very cheap but that font looks really good on my eink-devices.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:03 AM   #23
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My font of choice is my modified CharisSIL Compact Hinted. Very nice font for eInk. One of the best (IMHO).

It's free and the link is http://www.mediafire.com/download/om...L_-_Hinted.rar
Checked it, kerning is bad.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #24
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I actually like Palatino on my Kindle Paperwhite so much that I'm not at all unhappy about not being able to install extra fonts on my Kindle (I'm not very interested in jailbreaking/rooting devices).

I'm also relatively okay with Caecilia, if Palatino doesn't work or work well in some books for some reason.

On the iPad, when I must, Georgia is also okay. I've never got on with Baskerville, though.

I find that I don't like sans-serif fonts for e-reading, even though my font of choice for anything in computing is Verdana (followed by Arial if Verdana in a suitably small size cannot be used for some reason). I suppose it's to do with being used to books (as opposed to computer material) being printed, as a rule, in serif fonts.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #25
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
If you are using Roboto, you really should upgrade to the last month's release. It solves many problems the typeface has. Here: http://www.google.com/design/spec/style/typography.html
Thanks for that info!
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Checked it, kerning is bad.
Did you check it on your Kobo? To be honest, I'm not really sure if ADE respects kerning.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:55 AM   #27
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you check it on your Kobo? To be honest, I'm not really sure if ADE respects kerning.
Is there a particular reason why the lower-case g and j are cut off at the bottom?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:14 AM   #28
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Another serif font with ligatures and kerning, and a large x-height: Heuristica, an extension of Utopia.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #29
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
I personally find Georgia and Freeserif to be nice reading fonts especially when they are weighted nicely. Kobo reader and Koreader has nice weighting options however I have not found a good way of achieving nice serif weighting in Cool reader( ie similar to the way it looks in Kobo reader)
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #30
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I like Verdana or Caecilia. The Roboto looks nice. I am too lazy to convert all of my books for a particular font, but often change it on the reader.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote