Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 AM   #61
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You can no longer join Essex library without living in the area.

They responded to my query about being able to join online but not borrow any books and said they've recently changed the criteria due to concerns from publishers. To be able to borrow books you have to convert your temporary online membership to full membership by visiting the library. From what they say, it looks like tighter controls might be put in place everywhere:

Quote:
A recent change in arrangements concerning Overdrive e-books and e-audio services means that they can no longer be made available to people who have on-line temporary membership. This restriction has been put in place by our suppliers, in response to concerns expressed by publishers about libraries providing e-book material to users who do not live, work or study within their geographic area.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #62
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
You can no longer join Essex library without living in the area.

They responded to my query about being able to join online but not borrow any books and said they've recently changed the criteria due to concerns from publishers. To be able to borrow books you have to convert your temporary online membership to full membership by visiting the library. From what they say, it looks like tighter controls might be put in place everywhere:
Thanks for posting back, I've updated the original post accordingly.

I'm sure that this is the way of the future so far as UK libraries are concerned. Best to join while you can and try and organise visits around the UK if you are traveling for holidays or to visit family.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #63
Karenesque
Karenesque began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350, Sony T1
Hello

Newport Libraries in South Wales now have an e book lending service.

http://elion.lib.overdrive.com/FFC02...en/Default.htm
Karenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenesque View Post
Hello

Thanks; and welcome to the group. Enjoy your stay.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #65
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenesque View Post
Hello

Thanks, thats well worth knowing as I have family there, they can do the running around for a change
Old 12-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #66
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
LibrariesWest launch their ebook service in January 2012.

LibrariesWest is a consortium of five library services - Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset, and South Gloucestershire.

Some information about the new service is here:

librarieswest.org.uk

Kindle readers are NOT accommodated due to DRM issues (quelle surprise!)

You have to be a member and to join you have to "...live, work or study in Bath and North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset or South Gloucestershire."
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #67
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
East Renfrewshire libraries now do ebooks

http://eastren.lib.overdrive.com/0F0...en/Default.htm

Sadly no use for me, you need to have a card for one of the East Ren libraries, and it's too out of my way.
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #68
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile Hooray...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
LibrariesWest launch their ebook service in January 2012.

LibrariesWest is a consortium of five library services - Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset, and South Gloucestershire.
AT LAST !

They've been banging on about it for quite a while....

I'm surprised it's happened at all, though, considering the recent (failed so far!) swingeing cuts.

Good for them ....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #69
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by missimpossible View Post
East Renfrewshire libraries now do ebooks

http://eastren.lib.overdrive.com/0F0...en/Default.htm

Sadly no use for me, you need to have a card for one of the East Ren libraries, and it's too out of my way.
It's getting closer to Glasgow though
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #70
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
It's getting closer to Glasgow though
That's true I live in Glasgow during the uni year, so it would be great to have this facility pretty much on my doorstep. Can see it happening, the local library facilities are otherwise brilliant.

My mum's house is in Airdrie, and I expect them to get ebook capability in about fifty years' time, if then. We're still getting used to the whole electricity and running water thing out there.
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #71
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
I asked West Sussex County Council about ebook lending in the county back in late October and got this response:

Quote:
We are currently evaluating the services available from library suppliers to provide a lending facility for downloadable e-books through our website, with a view to launching a further service this year. While some local authorities are using these products, there are concerns about compatability with some e-readers and we will be evaluating the best system to adopt. Any new service will be advertised on our website and in libraries.
I've prompted them again this week but no further update. There is a link on their website to an overdrive page but it fails on authentication...

eric
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #72
Adele Ward
Connoisseur
Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I know Swiss Cottage Library, London, has ebooks and you can join from anywhere in the UK.
Adele Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #73
feenix1363
Lost and clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele Ward View Post
I know Swiss Cottage Library, London, has ebooks and you can join from anywhere in the UK.
Thanks for the update. Just had a quick look and it requires that you call in with proof of ID following registration. So I'll be doing that next time I'm local.

Camden Libraries
Old 01-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #74
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
Bexley Possible to join on-line HERE, allows national join but only allows two books to be on your account at any time. Choose to join as an E-library member and you don't need to call into a branch.
Joined three days ago and have already borrowed (and read) a book. Fantastic. West Sussex county libraries do not yet provide a service so I'm glad that Bexley allows out of region borrowers! Two books is perfectly fine with me, especially as we're talking about an online system.

eric
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #75
MoodRing
MoodRing
MoodRing began at the beginning.

Device: none
We should do try collate a list for Ireland!
MoodRing is offline   Reply With Quote