Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
jiembe
Zealot
jiembe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo; Kobo Libra
Calibre 4 a step back

The now limited Code inspector view in Calibre 4 is a real step back. We lost a way to figure why a particular code didn't function. Worse we are now unable to see if there is a coding error since
Quote:
The Book details panel now no longer uses a full browser engine for rendering
which present a wrong preview of a page.

I always praise Calibre but now...
jiembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no limit in the code inspector view.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
jiembe
Zealot

Well

Sorry you're right. I hadn't understand that we have to click on the left panel to see the styles in the right panel.

My humble apologies.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
jiembe
Zealot

Well 2

However I regret the image viewing from the previous versions which were accurate representation of say the cover page. Now there is no rendering for a code like max-height: 100% and even for an svg the image display looks like it is greater than a viewing page. (Sorry for my English) Or is there something I again don't understand.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I dont understand what you are saying. If you want the cover to occupy all available space there is setting for it to not preserve aspect ratio under paged layout
Advert
Old 10-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
? Max-height:100% is a Limit, not a control like
max-height: 100px;
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
Frenchguy
Enthusiast
Frenchguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
I much preferred the previous viewer (3.48).

Uneasy to browse through calibre 4

If I want to switch back to 3.48, do I have to uninstall 4 first ?

Last edited by Frenchguy; 10-05-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Frenchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
jiembe
Zealot

Quote:
I dont understand what you are saying. If you want the cover to occupy all available space there is setting for it to not preserve aspect ratio under paged layout
I don't understand either what you are saying. Sorry. I don't find a page layout option in the editor.

The Calibre 3 File preview of the editor presented the cover page using SVG the size of the File preview's window. Now in Calibre 4 we got vertical scroll bar because what we saw in that window is only 85-90% of the cover. I like a lot better the previous "wysiwyg" display.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchguy View Post
I much preferred the previous viewer (3.48).

Uneasy to browse through calibre 4

If I want to switch back to 3.48, do I have to uninstall 4 first ?
Yes - your preferences/plugins etc and your libraries will remain as is

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
How can you not understand what he's saying? Max height percentag , (indeed, any height percentage) just doesn't work anymore.. not calibre's fault, but there you have it, and the viewer in the editor does not include Kovid's hack for the full page svg that 'fixes' them on the fly in the E-book reader app.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:16 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiembe View Post
I don't understand either what you are saying. Sorry. I don't find a page layout option in the editor.

The Calibre 3 File preview of the editor presented the cover page using SVG the size of the File preview's window. Now in Calibre 4 we got vertical scroll bar because what we saw in that window is only 85-90% of the cover. I like a lot better the previous "wysiwyg" display.
Ah you mean the editor. You will have to complain to the makers of chromium. Using 100% no longer works in that browser and hence in calibre which uses it. Usee 100vh instead and it will work fine.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #12
mikapanja
Perfectionist
mikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You will have to complain to the makers of Chromium. Using 100% no longer works in that browser and hence in Calibre which uses it.
What browser was used in previous Calibre versions, when max-height in editor worked properly?
mikapanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:43 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Safari and an ancient one at that.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #14
jiembe
Zealot

vh work fine in the editor. Thank you David.

Quote:
(indeed, any height percentage) just doesn't work anymore
I didn't know it was obsolete to use percentage. To what height are you referring? Is it also right for font-size, etc. Can you tell me where I can find this information?
Old 10-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You cannot use % because there is nothing to calculate the percentage against. % refers to height of containing element. The containing element in this case is the body, which has no well defined height since its height depends on its contents. So the % height specification is ignored.