Notices

Old 05-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
voidIndigo
Enthusiast
voidIndigo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, REB 1200, Kobo Glo
Unhappy Kobo - Night light doesn't turn off in sleep mode

Hi,

I have a Kobo Glo reader and I had the last firmware update (4.4.9344, 16.05.2017) installed this weekend.

I really liked the new look and specially the new PIN feature in this update, but I noticed that after the update the night light would not turn off when I put the device in sleep mode (the screen stayed lit with the book cover showing).

I contacted Kobo support, and they instructed me to restore and resync it. It worked. The night light did turn off again in sleep mode.

The problem reappeared, tough, after I loaded other books to the device through Calibre (I had loaded my Kobo books before with the sync). I am using Calibre 2.85.1 64bits.

I tried the "restore and sync" procedure again and it worked again, but as soon as I use Calibre to load any book, the problem reappears. I used to load the Kobo books in main memory and Calibre books in the SD card, but tried to mix them, or only use the main memory, but the problem continued.

Could you please check what could be happening?

Thanks in advance,
voidIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, calibre is not doing anything that could affect this. All it is doing is putting books on the device ready for reading. The device then processes them into it's library so that you can read them. It is more likely that the problem is related to what you were doing when the device went to sleep. Does the light stay on when you are reading? On the home screen? Using a sleep cover, the power button or timing out? I haven't noticed the problem with any of my devices, so can't comment. I have noticed that the light is taking longer to turn off, and fades out. This is only a few seconds longer, but if I close the cover and open it again, the light will still be on.

If you want to prove that it is calibre doing this, then don't use calibre. Use calibre save-to-disk to save some books somewhere on the PC. Close calibre, connect the device and copy the books to the device. Eject the device and see what happens. I'll be extremely surprised if there is a difference in behaviour.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
voidIndigo
Enthusiast

Hi, David

I will try to just copy the files to the reader and report back.

When I noticed the problem, I was reading a book with the light on. I use the power button to sleep the reader (I do not have a sleep cover).

I noticed that the light stayed on for some seconds more a while time ago (I think since the other last firmware update), but this time the light did not turn off at all. I had to activate the reader again, turn off the light using the light button on the top and then put to sleep again.

I tought it was Calibre because the problem disappeared when I reset the reader. When I resynced my Kobo books, the reader stayed normal. Only when I loaded other books with Calibre the problem returned.

Now that I think of it, maybe it is something in the reader software. After I load the books and disconnect the reader from my pc, there is a screen that shows "loading books" and only after that the books appear in the library.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by voidIndigo; 05-31-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
voidIndigo
Enthusiast

Thumbs up All right now, back to books...

Hi,

I tested the procedure of just copying the files to the reader (both main memory and SD card) and the reader continued to work.

I then tried to copy again using Calibre and the reader also continued to work.

Maybe it was some transient thing. I am very happy it is now working normal.

Thanks for the help.

Tags
calibre 2.85.1, firmware update, night mode