Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #1681
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nope. You'll need to run Calibre 4.x. Are you stuck with an old OS X that won't run Calibre 4.x?
Yes, High Sierra.
Urdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:51 PM   #1682
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urdu View Post
Is there a way for 3.48 Calibre users to update the Kobo plugin/driver?
If you check the Attempt to support newer firmware checkbox on the Metadata, on device & advanced tab in the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended configuration dialog, you should be safe enough until Kobo updates their database in a way that breaks those drivers. If that happens, you are likely to see warnings in the Kobo forum well ahead of time.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2019, 10:53 PM   #1683
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Is there a way for 3.48 Calibre users to update the Kobo plugin/driver?
What do you want to do? If you are just worried about the firmware support message, then just follow the instructions in it. Doing that is perfectly safe. Kobo are very strong on making the database backwardly compatible. It is unlikely that there will be a change soon that will break this. If that does happen, I will look at ways to workaround the issues.

The same goes for this plugin. It is very unlikely that I will need to make a change to it that means it is not compatible with 3.48. I already test it with older versions if I think it is needed. And do put code in to keep it backwardly compatible.

If there is something more you want to do, you can get the source and run from that. Then you can make whatever changes you deem necessary.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:59 PM   #1684
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
Yes, this is what I want to do the plugin, and:

This is not what I would like to do.

What has been the intention for my report is, basically, that 0nce that I upgraded the reader manually, the plugin seems to not be able to recognize which firmware version is actually on the device; hence the offer to download and install a "new" firmware. In previous upgrades, I relied on the plugin to do that for me, and afterwards, it recognized the actual version.

So I wanted to know if there is something irregular.
I suspect that you were seeing the warning that the database version on your Kobo was newer than the version that the KoboTouch/KoboTouchExtended drivers were expecting. This is nothing to do with downloading new firmware but rather a warning that the database structure in the newer firmware may not be supported by your current version of calibre.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:26 AM   #1685
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I suspect that you were seeing the warning that the database version on your Kobo was newer than the version that the KoboTouch/KoboTouchExtended drivers were expecting.
This warning used to come separately. I clicked "ok", and then the issue with the "new" firmware download appeared (I presume that this comes from the Kobo Utilities, as the tile to check for new firmware is on).

So, the problem (that is solved with Calibre 4.1) seems to be unique with me. Next time, I'll let the plugin download the new firmware and see what happens.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 05:35 AM   #1686
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes, High Sierra.
You may still be in luck. Here is a program to allow you to install Catalina on your Mac.

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #1687
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This warning used to come separately. I clicked "ok", and then the issue with the "new" firmware download appeared (I presume that this comes from the Kobo Utilities, as the tile to check for new firmware is on).

So, the problem (that is solved with Calibre 4.1) seems to be unique with me. Next time, I'll let the plugin download the new firmware and see what happens.
These are two different things. The first is calibre warning you that the version of firmware you are running is newer than it expects. Calibre 4.1 has support for the latest released version of the firmware, so installing that will mean the message goes away.

The second message is from the plugin. It can run a firmware version check when the device is connected. It will do this at most once a day. It uses the firmware version the device reports when doing the check. If an update is found, it should show the version number for the new version. Where you on 4.18.x when this happened?
Old 10-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #1688
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Where you on 4.18.x when this happened?
No, I was on 4.17.13694. The strange was that the plugin offered the same version to download and install, but didn't recognize that this version was already on the device.

I just opened Calibre, and now the plugin offers me again a new version (presumably 4.18.x), but now recognizes the version that is on the device. So, everything seems to be allright again. The point seems to have been that the older calibre version didn't yet support my firmware.

Now, I do have to edit all the patches once more ...

Edit: All accomplished! Everything working fine! Thank you!

Last edited by Leonatus; 10-09-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:12 AM   #1689
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, I was on 4.17.13694. The strange was that the plugin offered the same version to download and install, but didn't recognize that this version was already on the device.

I just opened Calibre, and now the plugin offers me again a new version (presumably 4.18.x), but now recognizes the version that is on the device. So, everything seems to be allright again. The point seems to have been that the older calibre version didn't yet support my firmware.
I don't know what happened. I would need to see some files from the device at the time of the problem.Or calibre debug logs. If it happens again, we can look into it.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:26 AM   #1690
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
If it happens again, we can look into it.

O. k. Thank you, I'll remember it. But this time, the plugin was really quick with the new firmware!
Old 10-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #1691
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
What do you want to do? If you are just worried about the firmware support message, then just follow the instructions in it. Doing that is perfectly safe. Kobo are very strong on making the database backwardly compatible. It is unlikely that there will be a change soon that will break this. If that does happen, I will look at ways to workaround the issues.
Thanks David.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #1692
Urdu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You may still be in luck. Here is a program to allow you to install Catalina on your Mac.

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/
Thank you for this tip!
Old 10-11-2019, 10:08 PM   #1693
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Now, I do have to edit all the patches once more ...
You may want to start using the overrides section of kobopatch.yaml -- it makes it relatively easy to move your patch selection to a new version of the patcher since your selections are in one place instead of scatter through multiple files.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:07 AM   #1694
marym
marym began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
new Kobo Libra H20

I have calibre 3.48 as that the latest my mac can run. I've dowloaded the koboutilities plugin, but this model of reader isn't listed, so Calibre can't see my device! Please help, I don't want to have to return it to the shop.
marym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:22 AM   #1695
marym
marym began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
I can't work out how to edit my last post, so this is part b!

Calibre is now seeing the reader, but it says there's firmware it doesn't recognise, so it can't manage collections. I really need this to work and haven't got a clue where to start!

"calibre, version 3.48.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 157.
Device firmware version: (4, 18, 13737)"

any help would be gratefully received - especially in simple speak!

thank-you
marym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities