Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2019, 04:11 AM   #346
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodan1 View Post
Not my truth but a lot of research pointing to blue light leads to long term eye damage. Just a warning to take care.

I am not the only one here has suggested the oasis3 lighting being more comfy.

Blue light at night is harmful or can be harmful if exposed to to much. They do know a cellphone used before bed can have trouble sleeping. So the Oasis 3 or kobo and others with adjustable colour temp can have a far less effect on your sleeping.
It's not the fact that you 'suggest' the warmer light of the Oasis is more comfortable, it's the way you have worded things before. Like anyone who thinks differently is not of sound mind (my interpretation of your forceful way of expressing yourself ).

There might be a lot of research, but it is yet to be proven that blue light is actually harmful for your eyes. Yes, it can be disruptive to your sleep, but so far no one has come forward that their eyesight is damaged because of blue light..
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:14 AM   #347
Denodan1
Denodan1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
It's not the fact that you 'suggest' the warmer light of the Oasis is more comfortable, it's the way you have worded things before. Like anyone who thinks differently is not of sound mind (my interpretation of your forceful way of expressing yourself ).

There might be a lot of research, but it is yet to be proven that blue light is actually harmful for your eyes. Yes, it can be disruptive to your sleep, but so far no one has come forward that their eyesight is damaged because of blue light..

That's because they are more wearing glasses which has increased since we have become more indoors looking at screens.
Denodan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:23 AM   #348
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's because they are more wearing glasses which has increased since we have become more indoors looking at screens.
Is there research to confirm that there are indeed more people who wear glasses now than let's say 30 years ago?
Old 10-10-2019, 04:29 AM   #349
Denodan1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...se-of-screens/
Old 10-10-2019, 04:34 AM   #350
Denodan1

http://theconversation.com/too-much-...-people-111599

It is not coicudence that about the 70's when computers become more co mmon we have seen a steady increase of people needing glasses and this article backs up it mainly started with screen watching
Old 10-10-2019, 05:03 AM   #351
SusanReads
Addict

I like these articles.
I'm very alert to see that my children don't spend too many hours on a tablet/computer (like they only get 3 hours a week of game time, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday 1 hour a day).

But I still doubt that the creamy color of the Oasis screen is enough to prevent damaging your eyes in comparison to the Voyage (since they both have blue light, the Oasis slightly less, but not enough to make a real difference).
Old 10-10-2019, 05:06 AM   #352
Denodan1

You can make it more yellow by adjusting the colour slider. Personally the oasis 3 may not be still perfect but find myself the creamy appearance is more pleasing to my eyes and a slight yellow tint mimicks the pages of an accual book better
Old 10-10-2019, 05:12 AM   #353
SusanReads
Addict

Quote:
You can make it more yellow by adjusting the colour slider. Personally the oasis 3 may not be still perfect but find myself the creamy appearance is more pleasing to my eyes and a slight yellow tint mimicks the pages of an accual book better
That's true, and I'm trying my best to see it like that instead of being bothered it's not whiter.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:36 AM   #354
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I ordered mine from Amazon.de and used Mailboxde.com for getting it to my country. Their fee is pretty low, they're fast and reliable. Before placing your order with Amazon you have to register with Mailboxde, to get the German address. When Mailboxde receives your package from Amazon, they'll forward it to your real address.
I followed Sirtel's advice and now have an Oasis 3. I can really recommend Mailboxde.

There is a similar service ShopUSA, I used them to buy my Voyage. They are however more expensive and not so fast as Mailboxde.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #355
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
I've thought about that, but whatever information I find on PWM is pretty vague. But perhaps I'm just oversensitive to these kind of things.
There is one easy way for you to test that. Just turn the light off on the Kobo and use your Oasis turned to full brightness to light the screen. If your Kobo doesn't look "busy" anymore, then the lighting is to blame.

Except you already returned the Kobo, right? Oh well. Maybe someone will test a Libra and let us know if it uses PWM. It is very suspicious that all reviews I can find online avoid the flickering - neither confirm nor deny if the Libra has the same fault as the Forma

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 10-10-2019 at 06:04 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #356
SusanReads
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
There is one easy way for you to test that. Just turn the light off on the Kobo and use your Oasis turned to full brightness to light the screen. If your Kobo doesn't look "busy" anymore, then the lighting is to blame.

Except you already returned the Kobo, right? Oh well. Maybe someone will test a Libra and let us know if it uses PWM. It is very suspicious that all reviews I can find online avoid the flickering - neither confirm nor deny if the Libra has the same fault as the Forma
I did already return it.
And I've noticed too that no one seems to comment on the PWM rumors for the Libra. And I'm not even sure it was the case for me. I can only tell you how it looked to me and how it bothered me, even though I really wanted to like the Libra.

I've been reading on the Oasis for two days now and what a difference! Such a nice calm screen. (Even though I still find the Libra design more aesthetically pleasing)
Old 10-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #357
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No, it isn't. Most people who work in front of computers and monitors all day would be blind by now, if that were true. I'm one of them and there's been no damage whatsoever to my eyes in the last 20 years (I've had my eyes thoroughly checked several times, the last time was this spring).
It's got nothing to do with glasses. Blue light exposure is (weakly) linked to glaucoma and retinal detachment disorders, not short-sightedness.

Actually, very very blue light is *inversely* linked to short-sightedness: the reason glasses are so common if you read a lot is now known, is a fairly strong result as these things go, and it's got nothing to do with reading. It's that people who read a lot statistically also don't spend as much time outside when they're young as people who don't, and solar UV exposure on the back of the eye acts as a signal to trigger the lengthening of the eyeball, so the eye grows evenly and the image remains in focus. Without that, perhaps because you're inside under UV-poor artificial light, the eyeball doesn't lengthen enough and you get short-sighted. Wearing glasses that fully correct your vision when your eyes are still growing worsens this, because your eye thinks it's growing right when actually it isn't and has more lengthening to do... hence these days opticians intentionally undercorrect the vision of pre-adults with myopia. Of course Kindle screens don't emit UV light: the screen's not *that* blue. So they won't help here!
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #358
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
It's got nothing to do with glasses. Blue light exposure is (weakly) linked to glaucoma and retinal detachment disorders, not short-sightedness.
I didn't say it had something to do with glasses. My eyes were checked for glaucoma, cataracts, retinal disorders, everything.

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-10-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #359
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

Actually, very very blue light is *inversely* linked to short-sightedness: the reason glasses are so common if you read a lot is now known, is a fairly strong result as these things go, and it's got nothing to do with reading. It's that people who read a lot statistically also don't spend as much time outside when they're young as people who don't, and solar UV exposure on the back of the eye acts as a signal to trigger the lengthening of the eyeball, so the eye grows evenly and the image remains in focus. Without that, perhaps because you're inside under UV-poor artificial light, the eyeball doesn't lengthen enough and you get short-sighted. Wearing glasses that fully correct your vision when your eyes are still growing worsens this, because your eye thinks it's growing right when actually it isn't and has more lengthening to do... hence these days opticians intentionally undercorrect the vision of pre-adults with myopia. Of course Kindle screens don't emit UV light: the screen's not *that* blue. So they won't help here!
Hmm... so if you tell your bookworm child to read outside, s/he should be all right?

Interesting. I guess that was certainly a factor in my eye development, but there were genetical reasons too, on my father's side of the family. Both my sister and one of my nieces had weak eyes as well, and they were not readers in childhood (the niece has never read for pleasure at all).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #360
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
It's that people who read a lot statistically also don't spend as much time outside when they're young as people who don't, and solar UV exposure on the back of the eye acts as a signal to trigger the lengthening of the eyeball, so the eye grows evenly and the image remains in focus.
Did you by chance got it backwards?

I have found: https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeands...-sighted-books
Quote:
Ultraviolet light may encourage the pupils in the eyes to constrict and increase the depth of focus and reduce blurring, or it may increase dopamine release, which may reduce lengthening of the eyeball.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote