Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-10-2023, 06:20 AM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
We're all human, accidents happen. I find the question Have you intentionally bought the same book more than once much more interesting. There are some understandable answers, like replacing a lost/borrowed-never-to-be-returned book, or getting a newer edition of some textbook. Have you ever bought a book more than once, intentionally for other reasons?
I have bought many, many ebooks to replace my paper copies, which I no longer want to read. And as was mentioned before, several posters here have bought omnibus editions while already owning some books in them, because the omnibus was cheaper than buying the remaining books separately would have been.

Intentionally buying the same ebook twice which is not part of an omnibus? Hmm... perhaps I have when the new edition had something the old one didn't, like new scenes or something. But I can't exactly remember.

Ah yes, there was a defective first edition of a fantasy book (the publisher had accidentally left out some parts) which they promised to fix and replace for free, but somehow the offer never manifested. I bought the new, fixed edition again years later. It was more than 10 years ago and I no longer remember the title or the author.

Last edited by Sirtel; 05-10-2023 at 06:23 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 07:09 AM   #32
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
We're all human, accidents happen. I find the question Have you intentionally bought the same book more than once much more interesting. There are some understandable answers, like replacing a lost/borrowed-never-to-be-returned book, or getting a newer edition of some textbook. Have you ever bought a book more than once, intentionally for other reasons?
I've bought digital editions to supplement or replace my physical copies. Also the omnibus thing I mentioned earlier.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2023, 08:16 AM   #33
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
I haven't accidentally bought any ebooks twice--yet. Blu-rays, yes; ebooks, no. Like some of you, I have intentionally been buying ebooks which are duplicates of some of the printed books I own. I used to think I didn't really have a book unless I had a paper copy. Now I've begun to think that I don't really have it unless I have the ebook. Any excuse to spend money, I guess. Completely new additions are almost exclusively ebooks now, partly because I don't have any room for more printed books (and can't decide which ones to get rid of), and partly because I've come to prefer reading on the ereader. When did the type in printed books become so small, anyway? (I think I've pretty much exhausted my contingent of italics for today.)
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 08:19 AM   #34
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It's not actually the same book, but at times I buy different translations of the same book. I've got a couple of Don Quixotes, a couple of Les Miserableses, and I think three War and Peaces. There are probably a few others.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:40 AM   #35
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Yes. It kills me that there isn't better management of omnibus editions --- if I have one or more of the books, I should get a commensurate discount, and if I view any of the SKUs, it should inform me that I own something associated with it.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2023, 10:25 AM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Yes. It kills me that there isn't better management of omnibus editions --- if I have one or more of the books, I should get a commensurate discount,
Why? It's a different product.

When you bought the singleton, it was worth to you whatever you paid. A similar rationale applies to buying an omnibus down the line. I can cite factors that might be in play, including that prices can be highest at first and then drift down as reflected in publishing an omnibus later and your already having consumed the content. Or that having discrete editions might be more valuable than having just one. Or the reverse, of course.

But the bottom line is, if you think you're being taken, then don't buy the omnibus. That'll show 'em.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:48 AM   #37
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Omnibus editions are often cheaper than buying all separately anyways, so I'm not really upset about it.
Old 05-10-2023, 03:47 PM   #38
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I have repurchased many books in digital I already owned in print.

I also repurchased a few books I bought in digital way back when they were only available in PDF format so replaced with epub.

I usually check to be sure when buying older books since I do shop at multiple stores for books and as others have said have accidentally repurchased DVDs I already owned. Since I am usually at home when book shopping it's easy to check first.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:02 PM   #39
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast
PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 5, Kobo Scribe, Kindle app on iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
1 time it was an Amazon reservation that I forgot I made and ordered the book, only to have 2 copies arrive.
Yeah, I don't think you're alone in that.
PlatinumWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:11 PM   #40
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast
PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 5, Kobo Scribe, Kindle app on iOS
Short answer: not this week.

Seriously, though... I do buy multiple formats of the same book sometimes. Moving from house to house over the years was enough to motivate me to purge some of my physical books in favor of ebooks, and in the past few years I've gotten really diligent about checking out books I want to read from the library instead of just blithely buying them as I once would have done - but if I love the book and think I'll read it again, THEN I'll buy a copy (usually hardcover). And I often own an audiobook version of favorites as well as the paper version. I'm aware, though, of being highly compulsive about buying books in any format, though, so it's become a goal to cut that out. Not easy.
PlatinumWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 11:06 PM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Hmm... I no longer have the least temptation to buy paper books when an ebook edition exists. Don't want to read on paper at all anymore. I only buy a physical copy when there is no ebook edition and no hope of it ever appearing, and even then only when I absolutely must have the book. Those cases are few and far between. 99% of what I've bought in the past 12 years have been ebooks.

Audiobooks, nope. I don't enjoy listening anything, least of all books. I never even listen to podcasts.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 11:33 PM   #42
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Sometimes I will get an ebook duplicate of a print book. Very limited circumstances though. Usually it's a technical book. e.g., ham radio license manual. I much prefer the paper books for reference and studying. But it's nice to have a backup electronic version loaded on my phone and tablet that I can study (if in the mood) when I find myself unexpectedly out somewhere with time to kill. Reading a picture-heavy book in PDF format on a smartphone is bordering on insanity and self-flagellation, but it's semi-OK on a tablet. Much easier to read this using the full sized print book though. Problem is, technical books are usually some of the higher priced books - either in print or electronic form. So for me, buying both is definitely a conscious decision, and something I don't do very often.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 07:31 AM   #43
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It's not actually the same book, but at times I buy different translations of the same book. I've got a couple of Don Quixotes, a couple of Les Miserableses, and I think three War and Peaces. There are probably a few others.
There's some public-domain books where I have multiple copies different editions. Usually with extra artowkr.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:48 AM   #44
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Translated works live or die by the quality of their translation. I have more than a few non-English books in my collection that started as a StandardEbooks/Gutenberg ebook based on a public domain translation, but then purchased the title when a "modern" translation from e.g. Vintage International went on sale.

Most recently, I've been slowly picking up Dostoevsky novels whenever the Richard Pevear/Larissa Volokhonsky translations go on sale. They do good work.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:01 AM   #45
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Translated works live or die by the quality of their translation. I have more than a few non-English books in my collection that started as a StandardEbooks/Gutenberg ebook based on a public domain translation, but then purchased the title when a "modern" translation from e.g. Vintage International went on sale.
I realized a long time ago that for me, money spent on a modern translation was money well spent. A bonus is annotations/footnotes and a good introduction although I'm not willing to spend money to get them in an English language public domain book. One needs to tread warily with introductions, however, so as not to be spoiled.