Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-10-2023, 04:12 AM   #1
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Issue with driverinfo.kte

Happy Easter to everyone!
As a USB drive went broken lately, I had to restore a book by exporting the epub format out of my Calibre library. Everything is good, so far, and all the checks don't leave to an error message, so I needn't have to worry, but it bothers me that every time I open the book in Sigil, I receive the message:
Code:
Epub contains not manifested files. They will not be saved.
And when I look into the details, I see that it is the "driverinfo.kte" that causes the issue.
Looking across the epub, I can't find this "driverinfo.kte" anywhere, and S/R doesn't help either.
No problem, as I mentioned, but out of interest I would really like to know what it is about with this file.
Would someone enjoy to enlighten me?
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 06:47 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Never seen that before. Could it be some sort of artifact of the KoboTouchExtended driver plugin being installed/used on calibre?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2023, 10:34 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is most definitely a temporary file used and created by the kobotouchextended driver plugin for calibre.

https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-k...driver.py#L262

You're not going to see the file unless you open the epub as a zip archive. It is my understanding, however, that the plugin does not modify an epub in calibre's library. It updates epubs when they are sent to a kobo device. To support "extra" kobo features. If that's true, you must be using eboubs that were a) delivered to your Kobo using the KoboTouchExtended driver, and then b) subsequently pulled off of your Kobo before editing with Sigil.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-10-2023 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-10-2023, 11:20 AM   #4
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It is most definitely a temporary file used and created by the kobotouchextended driver plugin for calibre.

You're not going to see the file unless you open the epub as a zip archive. It is my understanding, however, that the plugin does not modify an epub in calibre's library. It updates epubs when they are sent to a kobo device. To support "extra" kobo features. If that's true, you must be using eboubs that were a) delivered to your Kobo using the KoboTouchExtended driver, and then b) subsequently pulled off of your Kobo before editing with Sigil.
Yes, that's true. I didn't have thought of it any more, because it's quite usual to me. Just for fun, I'll try to open it as a zip archive and see what happens.
Thank you!
Old 04-10-2023, 11:49 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You should probably keep originals of your epubs to use for editing purposes. Only send the modified--kobo proprietary--epubs to your Kobo device(s) for viewing/reading purposes.
Advert
Old 04-11-2023, 03:36 AM   #6
Leonatus
Wizard

@DiapDealer: Of course, and that's what I had done. But the USB drive where the epub had been stored was broken, unluckily.

By the way: As far as I know, the KobotouchExtended driver takes effect only at sending the book to the device. The exported epub, however, came immediately from the Calibre library.

Last edited by Leonatus; 04-11-2023 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:08 AM   #7
Leonatus
Wizard

Now, I copied the epub, changed the file ending in .zip (ignoring the warning), deleted the driverinfo.kte, renamed the file ending to .epub, and all went right! Thanks again!
Old 04-11-2023, 07:18 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
By the way: As far as I know, the KobotouchExtended driver takes effect only at sending the book to the device. The exported epub, however, came immediately from the Calibre library.
That's the way I understood it was supposed to work, too. Perhaps one book just managed to make it back from the Kobo to calibre somehow. *shrug*

All's well that ends well, though!
Old 04-11-2023, 10:11 AM   #9
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Perhaps one book just managed to make it back from the Kobo to calibre somehow.
That's something for crime fiction authors; anyway, it must have been something like this.