Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #1
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Win7,Win10,Lubuntu,smartphone
newbie to Linux: help to sync calibre library in Windows

Hello!
I have just installed Lubuntu, and am trying to run my favorite software in it--please be lenient if my questions are silly/repeated.
I keep a copy of my calibre library in an external disk, which I synchronize regularly: so, before installing calibre in lubuntu, I put a copy there, and pointed calibre to it on first launch. So far, so good--only I didn't remember about expoting settings, but that could easily be mended by hand...
However, on asking for a library check, I got a lot of 'missing format' and 'extra format', and compounded the problem (case sensitivity) by asking for 'fix' and then running my usual sync program (FreeFileSync).
The result is compounded problem indeed: a lot of book folders with both 'A Title for You.ext' and 'A Title For You.ext' in them.
I am not asking for a fix to that: I can always delete and copy again. What I would dearly appreciate is advice on:
1. copying the library to linux without hitting again the same snag: will this work
*delete current library in linux
*export settings from windows to external disk
*launch calibre in linux, run welcome wizard and point to extenal disk to import settings,
or am I missing something?
2. keeping thereafter both libraries synchronized via external disk (which doubles as backup)--it seems that FreeFileSync is NOT the tool for lubuntu.
Thanks a lot!
carmenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I'm not sure how to fix it best/fastest.

What I did, once upon a time, was to create a new library in Linux, on a case sensitive file system, and *import* all the formats from the case insensitive Windows file system. First made sure the metadata was fully updated for all books. And I imported with setting one book per folder.

Then I used my Linux library as the main library. That was the only place where I ever edited metadata and added/deleted/converted books. And I copied (really synced using rsync) this main library to other filesystem only as backups and/or for read only access. Now I don't use Windows anymore, so I don't have problems of this type anymore. Good riddance...

I don't think there is a problem with FreeFileSync. The problem is you trying to sync between filesystems with different case sensitivity, in the wrong direction... If you copy/sync correctly named files from a case sensitive file system to a case insensitive filesystem, then I think you are fine, but not the other way around.

But I suggest that you still test carefully!
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
6 Ways the Linux File System is Different From the Windows File System

Good luck.
YMMV
bernie

Last edited by gbm; 10-02-2018 at 09:27 AM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Win7,Win10,Lubuntu,smartphone
Thank you very much!
I suspected that the linux version of the library had the best configuration--i.e., book titles matching letter-by-letter with those stored in the .opf files, but is always better to get confirmation from someone experienced...
I will keep your advice in mind if/when I succeed in getting a dual boot for my desktop (win7, and still needed for some hardware and software without linux equivalents that I can find). Meanwhile will keep experimenting with lubuntu, which miraculously manages to run nicely on a vintage '07 laptop whose 2 batteries (yes, also the CMOS button one) have gone pfft without replacements in sight. And I will try to learn about the linux sync function as well.
Thanks again!
carmenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenchu View Post
Thank you very much!
I suspected that the linux version of the library had the best configuration--i.e., book titles matching letter-by-letter with those stored in the .opf files, but is always better to get confirmation from someone experienced...
I will keep your advice in mind if/when I succeed in getting a dual boot for my desktop (win7, and still needed for some hardware and software without linux equivalents that I can find). Meanwhile will keep experimenting with lubuntu, which miraculously manages to run nicely on a vintage '07 laptop whose 2 batteries (yes, also the CMOS button one) have gone pfft without replacements in sight. And I will try to learn about the linux sync function as well.
Thanks again!
Dual Boot: There be dragons (with Calibre)
Calibre stores the assigned file(ID) in the DB. What happens when you change any metadata (or add a format), is the case can become closest to the current metadata. Windows doesn't care. Linux (and MAC) do.

The only cure: Don't touch Calibre with the other OS
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert