Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-26-2023, 06:33 AM   #1
GnRFan79
Enthusiast
GnRFan79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Is it possible to re-download EPUBs?

Hi all, I was wondering if it’s possible to re-download epub files that are showing on my Amazon Content and Devices section as Docs?

There are a couple I don’t seem to have offline backups of and would like to take a backup. I couldn’t see any way of doing this with my account.

Thanks
GnRFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:54 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Your Amazon Content has no epubs.

I don't understand your question.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:05 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
No, you can't get back the original EPUB you sent to Amazon, but you can get something useable.

Amazon does not allow the Download & Transfer via USB function of their website for personal documents so there is no easy download mechanism. You can obtain a copy of the book by sending it to an e-ink Kindle device or app and copying it from there.

It won't have DRM but it also won't be an EPUB. It will be in the Kindle format to which Amazon converted it, usually KF8 (azw3). You can use the kindleunpack plugin for calibre to produce an EPUB from that and result will be fairly close to the original EPUB.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:51 AM   #4
GnRFan79
Enthusiast
GnRFan79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I got it sorted. Transferred the file from the Kindle itself via usb and converted it in Calibre.
GnRFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 09:02 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Backup stuff before using "Send to Kindle" and ideally don't use it at all. You can convert from anything to azw3 or mobi yourself with better control than Amazon's system, and without giving Amazon a copy. The security and privacy of Amazon's system for "Send to Kindle" is unclear.

Note, the Internet or Cloud is for sharing, not backups.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:11 PM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Note, the Internet or Cloud is for sharing, not backups.
Not every possible data is sensitive enough, or valuable enough to need a proper backup. Using the cloud is fine by storing your stuff on someone else's computer to safekeep you from accidental deletion on your device. It is a backup as in backup plan, not a backup as in data backup.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:29 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Not every possible data is sensitive enough, or valuable enough to need a proper backup. Using the cloud is fine by storing your stuff on someone else's computer to safekeep you from accidental deletion on your device. It is a backup as in backup plan, not a backup as in data backup.
For me, cloud is the only possible off-site backup. I don't have any place I visit often enough to keep my stuff up to date. What use would I have for a 6-12 months old backup?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:47 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Backup stuff before using "Send to Kindle" and ideally don't use it at all. You can convert from anything to azw3 or mobi yourself with better control than Amazon's system, and without giving Amazon a copy. The security and privacy of Amazon's system for "Send to Kindle" is unclear.
I think "Send to Kindle" is highly useful, both for accessing books on the fly and for getting them on my Kindle account for later access across devices. I wish Kobo had something similar.

It's just a book.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:59 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think "Send to Kindle" is highly useful, both for accessing books on the fly and for getting them on my Kindle account for later access across devices. I wish Kobo had something similar.

It's just a book.
Doesn't Kobo have Dropbox support you could use in a similar way?

ETA: Dropbox even has send files by email as well.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 03-31-2023 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:00 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:

Technically yes but it’s a pain to get it to work and after trying I’ve decided never to bother again.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:32 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Out of the box, only the Sage has it. Works well, I haven't had any issues, but as I use it seldom, I haven't bothered to try it on the Libra. Of course there's no syncing, you'll just get the book. Generally I prefer Calibre, I read only at home anyway.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:20 PM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Technically yes but it’s a pain to get it to work and after trying I’ve decided never to bother again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Out of the box, only the Sage has it. Works well, I haven't had any issues, but as I use it seldom, I haven't bothered to try it on the Libra. Of course there's no syncing, you'll just get the book. Generally I prefer Calibre, I read only at home anyway.
I see, thank you. That is why I usually stay within Amazon devices. There might be less features, but what features they do have is implemented well. I have assumed the Dropbox integration is just that, a copy of Amazon's feature, but not requiring any Kobo resources for cloud management, but using Dropbox instead, including syncing back bookmarks and such. If it is just a download manager, I wouldn't call it support for Dropbox.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:34 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I see, thank you. That is why I usually stay within Amazon devices. There might be less features, but what features they do have is implemented well. I have assumed the Dropbox integration is just that, a copy of Amazon's feature, but not requiring any Kobo resources for cloud management, but using Dropbox instead, including syncing back bookmarks and such. If it is just a download manager, I wouldn't call it support for Dropbox.
Well, it supports downloading from Dropbox.

I agree with the Amazon experience generally being less buggy and smoother. Comes with a pretty completely closed and controlled OS, I suppose. My problem with Amazon devices is that I can't customize them the way I want without jailbreaking, which is a PITA for me, as I'm no computer whiz. And as a heavy Calibre user, I value the Kobo/Calibre integration. No more plugboards and manual collection creating.

I did use Kindles for years, exclusively. At some point their options were just no longer enough for me.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:34 AM   #14
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, it supports downloading from Dropbox.

I agree with the Amazon experience generally being less buggy and smoother. Comes with a pretty completely closed and controlled OS, I suppose.
I started using Pocketbook a few months ago: Pocketbook has the main Amazon features: a "send to Pocketbook" email, a cloud and automatic syncing. And they all work well. These are a little slower and more intrusive than the Amazon equivalents, but not significantly. So I guess you can do all these things without also needing a closed system.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote