Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2020, 04:53 AM   #1
megrim
megrim began at the beginning.

Device: None
Paperwhite 4 or Libra H2O, which one I should buy? (Istanbul/Turkey)

Hi to all, my first post here.

I will buy an e-book reader and my options are Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 4 and Kobo Libra H2O. I live in Istanbul, Turkey so even we have Amazom.com.tr here for nearly 2 years, we don't have Kindle service. So any Kindle sold here in Turkey are exported from Europe or USA via other channels. They have limited warantity but you know Amazon globally takes care of their customers no matter what.

But Kobo is officially sold in Turkey and warantity is 2 years. Customer service may not be perfect as Amazon as I read but there is one officially. And there is an official Rakuten Kobo Turkish store. You can find limited Turkish e-books. We have some local e-books stores but the content is limited. Rakuten Kobo have the same Turkish content as the local e-stores have. And of course we can buy worldwide content of Rakuten Kobo.

And the prices for both readers are nearly the same. 1 USD = 6.85 TL, 1 EUR = 7.75 TL (Yes, our economy is not well these days.)

So a PW4 is 1.100 TL = 160 USD or 140 EUR
Libra is 1.300 TL = 190 USD or 170 EUR

After reading hot topics of Kindle vs Kobo, I have ordered Libra H2O.

I wanted color temperature, 7" screen, physical buttons. Calibre compatibility. And the modification opportunities.

But I think I will miss Kindle Dictionary, robust interface, Goodreads integrations, never-lost Highlights and vast Kindle content with exclusives. (Although because of Turkish Lira, they are kinda expensive. And we don't have the KU option.)

I am kinda Apple user so I like being in an ecosystem, seamless integration etc. I am not an Android guy, I don't customize that much etc.

I mostly read epubs on Ipad Mini 2. So Libra was a blind choice for me.

Instead of converting epubs I have, I chose to convert Kindle format. (Hope it is not hard.)

I can cancel my order anytime so I am happy to hear different thoughts and views.
megrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:12 AM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I wanted color temperature, 7" screen, physical buttons. Calibre compatibility. And the modification opportunities.
With that list of must-haves, it seems you made the best choice for your situation. The inferior Kobo dictionaries are unfortunate, but with Calibre plugins I believe you can export your highlights, meaning that you need never lose them. You can also get Goodreads integration though Calibre, it worked well when I sued it before ditching GR. And in any of the endless Kindle vs Kobo threads here, KU is always trotted out as one of the killer advantages for Kindle, so if that's not available to you anyway, your "losses" are lessened somewhat. I am sure you'll enjoy your Libra.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2020, 06:16 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
With that list of must-haves, it seems you made the best choice for your situation. The inferior Kobo dictionaries are unfortunate, but with Calibre plugins I believe you can export your highlights, meaning that you need never lose them. You can also get Goodreads integration though Calibre, it worked well when I sued it before ditching GR. And in any of the endless Kindle vs Kobo threads here, KU is always trotted out as one of the killer advantages for Kindle, so if that's not available to you anyway, your "losses" are lessened somewhat. I am sure you'll enjoy your Libra.
But given that the OP is not in the US, if he has access to Overdrive or RBDigital though his library, Kindle will be of no use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
megrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But given that the OP is not in the US, if he has access to Overdrive or RBDigital though his library, Kindle will be of no use.
Forgot that Overdrive point. As I have checked, just one major Turkish University, Mimar Sinan has Overdrive availability. Hope it increases. Nevertheless better than none.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
megrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Thanks, hope a find a way, plugin or smtg to make the dictionary better.
Advert
Old 06-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...unless he goes through the palava of borrowing books to pc, de drming, converting, copying to Kindle, then deleting once read. { all of that sequence has been deemed acceptable advice and acceptable for discussion, in other threads }
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The Libra is a good reader and the dictionary is not that bad. It's also possible to install additional dictionaries. I would take the Libra over the PW any day, if the prices are the same.

As to reading Kindle books on a Kobo, it's not particularly hard. Once everything is properly set up, it takes very little time and effort.

Hope you'll enjoy your Libra.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #8
megrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Libra is a good reader and the dictionary is not that bad. It's also possible to install additional dictionaries. I would take the Libra over the PW any day, if the prices are the same.

As to reading Kindle books on a Kobo, it's not particularly hard. Once everything is properly set up, it takes very little time and effort.

Thanks. I'll definitely try to install better dictionary if it is possible.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Honestly, Kindles and Kobos are both very nice readers. Each does something the other doesn't.

If you had bought a Kindle, you would miss features the Kobo has. Since you bought a Kobo you will miss features the Kindle has. But both will do most things that really matter.

I think you will be happy with your Libra. And given what you posted above, in Turkey, Kobo does seem to be a better choice than Kindle.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

In the US, the Libra is only $40 more then the PW4. Also, you get a 7" screen instead of a 6" screen. To me, that 1" makes a big difference. The larger screen just feels better to read with then the 6" screen. After having used a 6.8" screen, the 6" screen feels small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by megrim View Post
Forgot that Overdrive point. As I have checked, just one major Turkish University, Mimar Sinan has Overdrive availability. Hope it increases. Nevertheless better than none.
Certainly true. I added Turkey to the wiki library page EBook_Lending_Libraries.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote