Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #1
Jujuman
Jujuman began at the beginning.

Device: None
E-reader for TLS

Hello!

I am looking for an e-reader to read the Times Literary Supplement (TLS) on primarily, and I have set my eyes on the kobo libra h2o as a model that suits my needs design-wise. But I find it hard to figure out whether TLS can be read in this device. TLS is available in browser, and as Android and ios apps.

There also seems to be an TLS app for Kindle, but all the reviews are old and mostly negative, and I would prefer to avoid the Kindle option of possible, due to its (relative small) drawbacks I have read about when researching e-readers compared to kobo.

If anybody has any insight to share about what my options are it would be greatly appreciated! How is the browser on the libra for example? Could it be used for my needs?
Jujuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Kobo browser is not good, too slow, ghosts ecc. On my Aura One it is a pain. It is because browsing in internet is not the purpose of a Kobo device.

May be there is a possibility: articles saved on Pocket can be downloaded on Kobo but I don't know if it is possible use pocket on TLS: I guess access is only allowed to subscribers and I don't know if Pocket can handle this, but You should avoid browsing with Kobo, You 'd better browse with a PC and save in Pocket the articles You want to read.

For example Wikipedia in Kobo browser is very slow, but if You save the article in Pocket (Yes You can do it also from Kobo browser) then You can read the article without problems.

But, if there is a Android TLS app, You could instead buy a Android Eink device (Onyx - Boyue - Tolino ...). I don't know if it would work well, some Android device are claimed to have a better experience with internet. You must assure that You can install the app You want on it.

And about Kindle I can't say anything. I bought some issues of an Italian magazine on Kindle and everything went well but it is actually an Ebook. Already the magazine physically is a book and then they made the ebok, like any other book You could buy on Amazon store. So I don't know what can happen with LTS.

Last edited by ps67; 05-20-2020 at 04:29 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2020, 03:47 AM   #3
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I read the LRB (London review of books) on my Kobos fine. I just entered my subscriptions details in the relevant app in calibre the first time.
I'm sure it works the same with the TLS.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
Jujuman

Thank you for your replies.

One thing I oversaw when I started my research was that there exist Android e-readers. They do seem a bit pricey.

What I am essentially looking for is a barebones e-reader to read TLS on, and I would prefer to avoid to support large global conglomerates like Amazon, and if possible to have the more ethical business to do my bidding. (environmental, humanitarian)

This opens up the question I bit I suppose. If there are more ethically sound alternatives to choose from I would be willing to pay the price for it.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:14 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujuman View Post
Hello!

I am looking for an e-reader to read the Times Literary Supplement (TLS) on primarily, and I have set my eyes on the kobo libra h2o as a model that suits my needs design-wise. But I find it hard to figure out whether TLS can be read in this device. TLS is available in browser, and as Android and ios apps.

There also seems to be an TLS app for Kindle, but all the reviews are old and mostly negative, and I would prefer to avoid the Kindle option of possible, due to its (relative small) drawbacks I have read about when researching e-readers compared to kobo.

If anybody has any insight to share about what my options are it would be greatly appreciated! How is the browser on the libra for example? Could it be used for my needs?
The Times Literary Supplement App works on my Android opened Tolinos.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #6
Jujuman

Thank you, that is good to know!