Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Shai-Hulud linked to the following from here. (Note it is from October 2010, so very old.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
We found an issue after we shipped the devices that causes it to not always sleep when it is supposed to, even though the sleep screen is displayed.

This can cause the battery to drain faster than it should, which results in the problems you are seeing. We have a fix in testing right now and we will be releasing it on Monday. I have it running on my reader here, and I'm getting much more battery time out of it.

We've also improved the upgrade process on the Kobo Wireless Reader, so it will be super simple to upgrade your device when the update drops, either via the Desktop or WiFi. No 'kung fu grip' or paperclip needed.
Full thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1173989

Interesting no? Sounds like the same problem all over again...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post

But even if the light is on, the kind of battery life that VelvetElvis is having (charge ~2x a week) couldn't be due to very very dimly light LED lights could it?

I have no idea. But it would appear to be an indicator that something isn't behaving as expected, and should be looked at?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Any chance the light is staying on? I had a problem where when my Glo entered sleep, the light would come on very, very dim. The problem lasted a couple of times going into/out of sleep mode, and then went away. It was very hard to tell the light was on (in sleep mode), I had to go into a completely dark area to see it was on.

Good luck.
Definitely not a light issue. During testing, the light hasn't even been on. It's just sitting here, collecting dust and dying.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #19
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Just sent a missive off to Kobo support. Will post progress when available.

Thanks to all who offered insights and suggestions.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Just sent a missive off to Kobo support. Will post progress when available.

Thanks to all who offered insights and suggestions.
I hope you get a response from one of the more knowledgable employees!
Advert
Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I started doing some tests last night.

Firstly, I'm not likely to be leaving my Glo alone for days. But, if the problem is with certain books, there should be a noticeable drain when it is left overnight. Hopefully, whatever is causing the power drain is running all the time and isn't being triggered after a very long sleep.

The first was to take the nicely formatted book I was reading and merge the html files to make much bigger ones. The book has 34 chapters all less than 100KB in size. I merged them to make three large files of 342KB, 296KB and 739KB respectively. The epub is 481KB in size. I put this on my Glo, went back to the spot I was reading and left it there overnight. When I went to bed, the battery was at 75%. When I checked before leaving for work this morning, it was still at 75%. That was about 7 hours sleep (for the Glo, not me). The code in the book is very clean and the formatting is very simple.

While I waited for the train, I played with the Glo to select another book. While doing this, the battery dropped to 71%. I selected "A Thousand Miles Up the Nile" which comes from the MR library. This is about 4.0MB in size and has lots of pictures. I paged through until I was on a page that had a picture and let the Glo go to sleep while I was on the train (trying to sleep myself). That is about 5.5 hours and the battery level is still at 71%. I have only touched the Glo since then a couple of times to check the battery level. I'll leave it like that until I go home and see what happens. But, looking at the code in the book, it is clean (but done in a way that Joel won't like).

What I need to try now is a dirty book. One with horrible filthy code in it that would hurt my eyes to look at. The problem is that when I see those, I clean them up before reading them. I'll have to see if I have any of the original versions that might be suitable. If anyone has a book that would be suitable and can share or point to it, please tell me. Send me a PM if you think that would be the better way.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:35 AM   #22
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What I need to try now is a dirty book.
I sent you a PM.

However, I think maybe VelvetElvis' books would be a better test, as he's had problems with them on two devices already...
Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 AM   #23
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
Shai-Hulud linked to the following from here. (Note it is from October 2010, so very old.)

Full thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1173989

Interesting no? Sounds like the same problem all over again...
Wow, I was really excited to read that, until I noticed the date. :-(
Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #24
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Wow, I was really excited to read that, until I noticed the date. :-(
Yep, me too. Sorry about that. That's why I added the warning about the date BEFORE the link Still doesn't mean they didn't do the same thing again... but I'm not too hopeful.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I sent you a PM.

However, I think maybe VelvetElvis' books would be a better test, as he's had problems with them on two devices already...
And I've replied. Plus VelvetElvis has sent one as well. I'll try it first.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #26
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
And I've replied. Plus VelvetElvis has sent one as well. I'll try it first.
Great! Maybe you've already discussed this privately, but I think we should also be testing the other way around. David, do you have a perfectly formatted battery-problemless book for VelvetElvis to try?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Great! Maybe you've already discussed this privately, but I think we should also be testing the other way around. David, do you have a perfectly formatted battery-problemless book for VelvetElvis to try?
Good idea. How about "A Thousand Miles Up the Nile" from the MR library. I had that on the Glo for my commute in and while I was at work today. That was about nine hours. The battery level stayed at 71%. I did wake it three or four times to check the level.

I'll also pick something I've cleaned and send a PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #28
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post
My glo seems to have a bigger drain at the moment, but its only on its 2nd charge and is nothing like yours. I loose about 2 - 3 % a day in sleep. I did notice one strange thing though, on its factory charge the battery percentage hardly moved, but now I am taking it to work its draining in sleep a lot faster. No books have been added. Its as if when I am travelling its having a bigger drain, I was wondering if when its in its slip in my bag slight pressure is on the screen making it think that its been used. Or if even though the wifi is off, could it still be seeing networks and when I am moving its constantly looking out for various access points.

My old Kindle keyboard has been in standby for over 2 weeks and the battery meter has not moved. I think kobo should remove the % from future firmware releases.

@stethorn
i wonder if the difference might be temperature. since it's gotten colder where i am, i think there is more battery drain in sleep mode when my kobo gets colder (my room is quite cold overnight)...which is pretty normal with batteries....so if things in your bag are getting fairly cold, maybe that is more the problem??

Last edited by Uschiekid; 02-08-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Firstly, leaving my Glo overnight on page 200 of the book that VelvetElvis* sent me showed no drop in battery level. That was about 9 hours.

But, I also realised that because of something else I had done, the test might not be valid. So, I went and changed the firmware I was running. Or should I say "tried" to change the firmware. I messed up. My Glo is sitting here with a restarting message and nothing I can do will get it back to life. I think I need an image of the internal SD card to restore it. If anyone has one, it would help a lot.

*Sorry, but every time I see or type "VelvetElvis" I hear either "Thank you, thank you very much" or "Elvis has left the building" in the back of my brain.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #30
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Firstly, leaving my Glo overnight on page 200 of the book that VelvetElvis* sent me showed no drop in battery level. That was about 9 hours.

But, I also realised that because of something else I had done, the test might not be valid. So, I went and changed the firmware I was running. Or should I say "tried" to change the firmware. I messed up. My Glo is sitting here with a restarting message and nothing I can do will get it back to life. I think I need an image of the internal SD card to restore it. If anyone has one, it would help a lot.
Noooooooooo!

Was that something you did something that can happen to others as well? Or were you testing a beta firmware?

I'm afraid I don't have my Glo so I can't get an image. I'm hoping to receive it today so if I do I'll find time to get the SD out... but I hope someone else can give you an image sooner.

Quote:
*Sorry, but every time I see or type "VelvetElvis" I hear either "Thank you, thank you very much" or "Elvis has left the building" in the back of my brain.