Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #2086
radec
radec began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the info somehow I missed the part where it says I could run ""Booklet" variant, or the "KDK-2" variant" when I was on 5.6.5 and I only tried the KDK-2 variant. When that didn't work I thought it was because I hadn't updated my fw, but that may have been a mistake.
radec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #2087
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It is. And it got worse with each new point release, so, YMMV between 5.12.1 and 5.12.2.
Wow. So I got extremely lucky.
How bad is this? Is it a kinda "Something is going wrong and I yet have to find what it is" situation, or is it something along the line "Something is horribly wrong, I checked what it is and it's beyond our possibilities to fix it"?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #2088
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@radec: That wasn't necessarily bad thinking (there were a few specific cases of Kindlet being broken on release then fixed). Don't recall which devices/FW ranges were affected though.

But jumping to the latest version was indeed massively overkill (and potentially fatal).

@Ruskie_it: That'd be the latter (R.I.P.).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:58 PM   #2089
radec
radec began at the beginning.

Device: none
@NiLuJe ok thanks for the info. at least it seems that jailbreak stuck through the update. Now I'll just keep reading through the threads for more info before i try installing KUAL, not looking to brick the device.
radec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #2090
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@NiLuJe,
Is there a way to stop a python script, which was ran by KUAL?
Such as LibrarianSync, for example?

Also, how can I show current output lines at the bottom of the screen? Like LibrarianSync or MRPI do.

Thanks in advance!
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #2091
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mergen3107: In a shell, sure. Ideally over SSH, but I'd assume something like kterm would do in a pinch.

Both MRPI & LS use FBInk to display stuff on screen (LS via the Python bindings, MRPI via the CLI tool).
Note that MRPI now bundles its own FBInk build, but that shouldn't be necessary for text-only use cases.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-26-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #2092
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Thank you!
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:45 AM   #2093
LarrxX
LarrxX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2019 (KT4)
My KT4 got updated to FW 5.12.2 (thanks to the wifey ).

The hotfix won't install anymore, and if I try reinstalling MRPI/KUAL the ;log mrpi command won't do anything anymore, it will just search for the string.

R.I.P. jailbreak :'(

Last edited by LarrxX; 10-30-2019 at 06:10 AM.
LarrxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #2094
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The back light is bad, I can see it from here.
Get Amazon to exchange your old one for something that can't be any worse.
And next time, have the wife exchanged for another model.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #2095
LarrxX
LarrxX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2019 (KT4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The back light is bad, I can see it from here.
Get Amazon to exchange your old one for something that can't be any worse.
I already did it once for this particular Kindle

At least I managed to get all my collections on it through Calibre, there's that...
LarrxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:54 PM   #2096
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
I found a way to break things :P

I was trying to fix kual not seeming to pickup new extensions and so I;

1) Tried updating via putting Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_v2.7.23_install.bin
in /mnt/us/mrpackages ;; then ran log; mrpi
2) That didn't seem to work so I ran the Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7.23_uninstall.bin via mrpi. This resulted in a KUAL booklet staying.
3) I tried installing (step #1) again, and this seemed to work but I don't see any new kual.cfg in /mnt/us/extensions and when I click the booklet I see "Application Error"
4) I read some other threads which recommended reinstalling the jailbreak, so I did that, then did step #1 again ( Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin via update your kindle menu option), but with the same result when I click on KUAL, namely, "Application Error".

Not sure where to proceed from here?

Paperwhite 4; first 4 serial #: G000

I wonder if the KUAL entry that is sitting there is the old one and the new one is just not appearing for some reason?
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #2097
Cacofiend
Cacofiend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
I jailbroke my kindle pw2 back in 2016. Then I updated Kindle back in 2018 and it broke the SaveScreens hack, and trying to install new version of the hack through KUAL doesn't work. I am now on latest Kindle firmware version.

I put Update_ss_0.47.N_k2_dx_k3_install.bin (screen saver hack) into mrpackages, then go to Kual -> Helper+ -> Install MR Packages, nothing happens.

How should I proceed?
Cacofiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #2098
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Define "nothing happens".
Old 07-16-2020, 03:17 PM   #2099
Cacofiend
Cacofiend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Define "nothing happens".
Right, sorry.

The bottom line says "Launching the MR installer" for a fraction of a second, then I get ejected to Kindle's home screen and then nothing else happens.

Also, entering ";log mrpi" into the search box actually searches for it.

Last edited by Cacofiend; 07-16-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Cacofiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #2100
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Then you most likely borked the MRPI install itself and/or you have a broken/incomplete bridge. Reboot, install the latest JB hotfix, reinstall MRPI, reboot.

Sidebar: You said you had a PW2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofiend View Post
Update_ss_0.47.N_k2_dx_k3_install.bin

Spot the mistake yet? ^^.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified