Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Recommend a case for a Kindle Paperwhite?

I got a PW for my 11yr old son to use while reading in bed or on car trips, but he has already destroyed one eink screen in his young life, and I'd rather take reasonable measures to save this one.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, but practical rigid case for the PW?

Ideally, I'd like it to protect the device if dropped from the bed or car seat while in use, and when closed and not in use, protect it if it's slept on or sat on...you get the idea?

Perhaps some of you have stumbled on a decent cheap hard case from eBay or something?

Thanks!

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 03-02-2015 at 07:05 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kindle forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2015, 01:33 AM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have the official PW case from Amazon--it's not cheap at $40 but does provide quite a bit of protection. After using the official case for a few months I decided I wanted something lighter weight so I bought the Fintie smart shell. While I like the weight of the case, I have to say it doesn't seem like it would provide much protection. So recently I bought a third case for my PW--the Fintie Blade X1. I find it to be a good compromise--fairly cheap at $14 from Amazon, better protection than the Fintie Smart Shell, but not quite as heavy as the official case. I do have to say that the official case definitely provides the best protection. Now of course cases will help, but there are no guaranties when in the hands of an 11 year old!

Here's a link to the Fintie Blade X1 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Kindle-...eywords=fintie
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:59 AM   #4
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Omoton cases are great. They are very light weight, attractive, well-made and inexpensive. They also support the auto sleep/wake function. They are the only cases I use since I first discovered them a couple of years ago. Here's the link: http://smile.amazon.com/OMOTON-Paper...aperwhite+case
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
Omoton cases are great. They are very light weight, attractive, well-made and inexpensive. They also support the auto sleep/wake function. They are the only cases I use since I first discovered them a couple of years ago. Here's the link: http://smile.amazon.com/OMOTON-Paper...aperwhite+case
The description says "leather." Is it in fact a rigid case that might resist a kid sitting on it on a case seat? 'Cuz if so, it looks perfect.
Advert
Old 02-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
http://www.amazon.com/Swees-Paperwhi...ees+paperwhite

I use an older one without the strap. It's a good case that doesn't add much weight or bulk.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The description says "leather." Is it in fact a rigid case that might resist a kid sitting on it on a case seat? 'Cuz if so, it looks perfect.
Remember it is not real leather - it is PU leather - the softish semi stiff poly urethane stuff trying to imitate leather. By itself it is stiffer and more scratch resistant than real leather, but without the premium look and smell. I wouldn't recommend sitting on any case even if it is shut, on a flat surface, with the display down. Think of an eink reader as fragile as a tablet (the display is just as fragile). Dropping it from the bed onto carpet will be fine, so will sleeping on it. Both those things happen a lot with my wife's Voyage in Omoton case (almost identical to the PW case). The back shell is very hard plastic with almost no shock absorbtion - looks like a drop onto hard wood floor or concrete is not the best idea with Omoton cases. The original Amazon case appears to be more shock absorbent with the thicker heavier and a little softer material on the back shell - which comes at the expense of higher cost, more bulk, and a lot more weight.

Unless they finally make eink readers with flexible substrate instead of glass, none of them are really kid proof, IMPO.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I second on the fintie case (same exact one as linked above). My husband loves it for his PW2. I have the fintie thin shell case for my iPad and have dropped it 3 times now on tile floor and in the street. I don't know why it is still in one piece, especially since it bounced on the corners.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #9
ApK

The fintie and omoton case look almost identical in the listings, so last night at dinner I flipped a coin and ordered the omoton. It just arrived. Next day Sunday delivery, in the snow. Sometimes Prime just astounds me.
Anyway, the case is...um...nice I guess. But I question whether it can provide any significant protection.
I may have to try something like an Otter box or one of those red pepper waterproof cases that seem to totally armor the thing. But for now I'm going to throw caution to the wind and let my kids use it with the omoton. Maybe I'll add some corner bumpers with some Sugru.

Last edited by ApK; 03-01-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, ApK, I'm a little confused. In your initial post you said that you'd got a reader from your 11-yo son. Is it you who's going to be using it, or him?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #11
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, ApK, I'm a little confused. In your initial post you said that you'd got a reader from your 11-yo son. Is it you who's going to be using it, or him?
Oops. That was supposed to be FOR.
Hmm. Does that substantively change anyone's recommendation?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It certainly means that you need a case where physical protection is the primary attribute, rather than looks.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It certainly means that you need a case where physical protection is the primary attribute, rather than looks.
If you assumed that would not be true if it was for me, you don't know me.😄 But seriously, it seems like many folks got the gist in spite of that typo. But I'm open to more armor oriented suggestions !
Old 03-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I suggest one of the M-Edge cases I know don't need the light LOL BUT they are on Sale! VERY Sturdy!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 RED! Not Pink at least the one I got last week was RED! only 2 left!

I was asking for one for New Touch & some one posted that PW also fits!!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 03-03-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #15
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I use a magnetic case made by a company called MoKo. So far it works great. I find it to be very sturdy and quite hard.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H1OR9RK/...aperwhite+case
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote