Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
mscott161
Enthusiast
mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ebookwise, sony
iPad / Android Reader Question

I am currently in the process of developing an application for the iPad and the Android. This application will read the following formats (IMP, LRF, EPUB, etc...) I have started this project because to read the books you have to use a different application for each. I want to be able to put all my eBooks on my device and read them in one application.

My question to you if this application was available for $5 USD. How many of you would be willing to buy this application that allows you to purchase your books from your favorite on-line book store or ebooks you already have and copy the files to your device? There will be no purchasing of books through this application, but you have the advantage of purchasing and downloading your books on your desktop for backup.

Michael Scott
eBiz Software Inc.
mscott161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
What do you think your reading app will offer over free offerings like iBooks or Stanza on the iPad, and Aldiko on Android?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
mscott161
Enthusiast
mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I am offering the ability to read your already downloaded books that are in a format that you will have to convert the ebook to another format where I plan to display the books in their native format.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
It's interesting idea, but would it be able read any DRM'ed files? Probably not for a $5 price. Which brings up the question, "If I have Calibre or something similar, do I really need the app you are considering?

I mean, I can convert all my non DRM'ed files with it before I load to my reader anyway, so is there any advantage to what you offer compared to what already exists?

I think you need to offer something 'extra'. Not sure what that 'extra' would be, but I'm pretty sure the ability to read unconverted files isn't it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
What do you think your reading app will offer over free offerings like iBooks or Stanza on the iPad, and Aldiko on Android?
Well, there are a lot of things a well written ePub viewer can offer that iBooks and Stanza do not offer. So yes, I do think $5 for a well written ePub viewer would be a good deal.

I want an ePub viewer that actually supports embedded fonts and respects the margins I set as well as one that works properly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
mscott161
Enthusiast

As much as I like Calibre i would rather not have to install and convert my books. i would rather just copy them to the device to read no processing of the files. Most consumers are not going to know what to do with the conversions.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
mscott161
Enthusiast

To abide by copyright laws, this application will read only unsecured ebooks in the formats like (IMP, LRF, EPUB)
Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott161 View Post
As much as I like Calibre i would rather not have to install and convert my books. i would rather just copy them to the device to read no processing of the files. Most consumers are not going to know what to do with the conversions.
I would buy such a program exactly because of that.

Many MR readers seem to use Calibre, strip DRM, etc. You probably would be able to sell to less technically oriented people or people who find converting inconvenient. It would be hard to gauge that market, because those people probably are less likely to be on forums, etc. You could write a great app and find it hard to get word to the people who'd actually want it. Not saying you couldn't reach people, but it might be more difficult.

I'm not technically inclined and I had to find Calibre help by asking users. If I had to pay for it upfront, I wouldn't have tried it at all. I appreciate the work that went into it and later donated, but it would've been a hard sell otherwise for someone like me. Assuming you build a great app, your best bet is to give away many copies to the right demographic and get word-of-mouth. You'd also need to do a lot of beta testing, because your target market probably would be less willing or able to deal with inconveniences and tech problems. (You are essentially selling convenience, after all.)
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
To abide by copyright laws, this application will read only unsecured ebooks in the formats like (IMP, LRF, EPUB)
I'm sorry to be a naysayer, but without DRM support, I don’t believe such a program could compete with the excellent free readers that are currently available.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
That sounds like a lot of money for an app that is duplicating what is already out there... pretty much for free. Also, most software that tries to support so many formats doesn't just an OK job at most of them... you know jack of all trades and all that.

What you might want to think about is some type of library/organization/filter type app sort of like Calibre that will open the specified file in the reader of choice for that format. For example, I might want to be able to catalog all my Kindle / Goodreader / B&N / iBooks etc in one location... tag them, keep track of read status etc... and be able to launch the reader app I want to use.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I am offering the ability to read your already downloaded books that are in a format that you will have to convert the ebook to another format where I plan to display the books in their native format.
If it supports multiple formats without having to convert, and supports all the features of each specific format (no small feat) I think it could be pretty useful.

I don't think $5 is out of the question for the iPad market, at least.

If you find a way to gracefully handle the issue of user customization vs. author designed layout, then you will have a real hit
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd happily pay, provided that the app fully and completely implemented the ePub standard.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I guess I'm more interested in an app that is full featured over an app that reads multiple formats badly.

I have no problem opening up a different app for a different type of book format. My real dislike is that each app is just not very good. Text adjustments are poor, annotation is non existent, same for highlighting. Most apps don't allow for customization of layout(don't and background color), those that do are crude.

As of today I convert all my books to the MOBI format because Mobipocket makes the best ereader and I prefer to read on my phone using that full featured ereader than the others. Fortunate for you it's been a dead product, was killed about a year ago and ( it does not exist on the iPhone or Android)

There is already a free reader for Android that gives away it's free multiformat supported eReader, but charges for the reader that support secure formats.

I forget the name of the product.

Good luck,
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #14
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I tend to agree with Bob. A good organizing capability would be a nice plus over what will be expected in terms of flexibility.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I would buy it for the IMP support. I have a ton of books at eBookwise that I can no longer read because of the format.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, droid, ebook, ebook reader, ipad