Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
flink
Banned
flink began at the beginning.

Device: Android/Linux/Windows
AluraTek Libre

I just got mine. I'm really pleased. It's great for my commute. Now I don't need to worry about "running out of book" halfway home ;-)
flink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Congratulations! I haven't regretted my purchase of the Libre. Actually, this week was the first time in months that I actually ordered some paper books online.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
idlogin
idlogin began at the beginning.

Device: one that reads pdf's best
hmm... aparently it's a jetbook clone. i've heard no sad news about it. considering it seriously. does it use the monochrome lcd or standard e-paper/eink? (well i'll check the wiki)

tchuss!
idlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Reflective LCD screen, which they call "e-paper" instead of "e-ink".
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
That comment about it being a clone I don't know if that is true. I believe that they may have been released almost at the same time. I was told that the hardware is OEM. Both Aluratek and Ectaco probably went hardware shopping at the same time. The units are identical - processor, control interface, memory, display, SDHC support etc. I have heard that they run a linux version (Not sure) and the CPU is only a 200 mhz device. Even the softcase is the same except for the logo. The box is the same as well (except for the printing).

The underlying e-reader software is probably the only difference. Even the menuing system and common software apps (picture, mp3 player, file maintenance and firmware upgrade procedure ) is the same.

When i think of a "Clone" I think of an original device that was copied but may not look exactly the same due to copy right infrindgements.

Such as the Apple PC and the clones such as the "Rainbow" that followed.

In this case which came first the jetBook or the Libre??

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
flink
Banned
flink began at the beginning.

Device: Android/Linux/Windows
I've already read three books. If only this had been around 40 years ago.
flink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
echovoodoo
Yet another reader
echovoodoo began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Just picked mine up yesterday. I'm quite happy thus far.
echovoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Yeah I love mine its a great deal , is it the best don't know , but at 139.00 I payed for mine, you can read in almost any kind of light, drm support it a insane bargain.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
kbrand
Enthusiast
kbrand began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
I really have enjoyed my aluratek. My wife bought it as a gift for me and she got it off of ebay for 99.00 as bob said, don't think it is the best, but it sure was the cheapest.
kbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Best is a relative term. There will always be someone complaining about some feature or lack there of no matter which e-reader they have. These are basic e-reader that are quite flexible in what they can read as well as store.

I own both (jetBook and Libre Pro). Even with the same hardware there are differences between them at the e-reader software level.

I bought the Aluratek for it's ability to deal with PDF files in a maner that facilitates easy reading. I was also surprised that it displayed ePub files differently than the jetBook. The jetBook tends to convert it to a text base file thus allowing word searching within the open book.

It would have been nice if Aluratek had the T9 intuitive text entry system but I wonder if you need a built in dictionary database for it to work.

I do most of my reading on the Aluratek. I also like the serif font display.

The jetBook can do an excellent job of displaying PDF files along as the file has been formated for the 3" x 4" display (5" diag.). You can achive this by placing a text file into MS Word - change all the fonts to whatever you want to use and then save as a PDF file specifying paper size 3" x 4". Reduce your margins down to minimum and select ignore on generating the doc.

I read that here in the forum.

Over all I am very pleased with both - as for the lack of e-ink use - I don't care. It is still very readable and the page changes are fast and w/o the flashing effect. I usually end up charging over night every 2nd day depending on my usage.

John
Old 06-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Maybe I got a dud or something, but I seem to be having some trouble with mine. It doesn't eject properly from my Mac. Today, my computer did not even see it, though it was plugged in (and charging). At some point today, the display went wonky. It was OK after I reset it, though.

I DL'd an Overdrive book from my library today, ADE sees the device, but I keep getting IO errors when I try to copy it, though that may be a problem with something else.

ETA: Am I to understand that you have to authorize a device each time you want to add an Adobe Digital Editions book?

Last edited by jezebel; 06-19-2010 at 02:11 PM.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
Mahmud
Mahmud began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
I think you might want to update the firmware to 0.16h, currently available at the Aluratek site. There's a note in another thread that one of the things this update does is to 'fix the Mac eject problem.' I updated it, but I'm on a PC and haven't noticed anything different.

I've had no problems reading books from the library downloaded through Adobe Digital Editions. I only had to authorize the device once. I download the 'acsm' file to a folder on my PC, then clicking on it loads Adobe Digital Editions where the actual epub or PDF is downloaded. Then once the book is on the bookshelf and the Libre is connected to the computer, I just drag the book to the Libre.

I've read more than six books from the library already. I prefer the epub format and the only thing I really miss in the Libre is the ability to search inside epub formatted books. Now, if a new firmware upgrade fixed that deficiency, I would be totally satisfied with the Libre.
Mahmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #13
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Thanks, Mahmud. I got a library book lats week, authorized the Libre with ADE to read it and everything was fine.

I DL'd a book today and had to authorize the same device.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #14
jlg432
Addict

jezebel I only had to authorize my Jetbook and Aluratek once via the ADE software. Then any epub/pdf book I purchase or obtain from the Public Library has to go through ADE and then transfered via ADE to my devices. You cannot just copy it from PC to ALP or JB even if the book is authorized at the PC level. The act of transfering the ebook to the device via ADE updates an xml log on the device IMO that is used by ADE on the device to authorize the e-book.

Note: When you connect the Aluratek Libre Pro (as well as the jetBook) via USB it has to be turned on. If you connect it when it is powered off it just charges the battery. You can power on the device while it is connected via USB and you should eventually see the "PC to e-book" image display and your device should show up as external media as well as recognized by the ADE software. If it doesn't try changing power management within the ALP to reflect "Never" and see if that makes a difference.

I use XP and Ubuntu on the same Netbook and occasionally only the internal memory registers and not the micro SDHC in an SD card adapter.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 06-24-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
docfrancov
docfrancov began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro (Black)
Had mine for 5 days and love it...does great with txt, epub and pdfs...On the pdfs, turn off reverb if you need to read tables or see pictures...If not, leave it off and works great!
docfrancov is offline   Reply With Quote