Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
Jim77
Jim77 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
Fetch Recipe as PDF

Hello all,

Since my device does not support Hebrew, and I want to fetch content in Hebrew, how content can be converted to PDF automatically instead of an ePub?
Jim77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Open Preferences and change the Preferred output format to PDF.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Jim77

Thanks it worked, but can I do it using python in Advanced Mode without changing the whole preferences settings?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If by advanced mode you mean using the command line tools yes. For example:

Code:
ebook-convert xkcd.recipe .pdf
Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Jim77

Actually I meant the window of adding custom recipe in advanced mode:
Http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/news.html # customizing-the-fetch-process

thanks
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
user_none

Ah. No there is no way to specify what format the recipe will use other than though the global preferred output format in preferences. The only way to have that recipe use another format would be to use the command line tools.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Jim77

Thank you!

And one more question: Is it possible to change the direction of the incoming content into right to left (rtl) during that rss convertion?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
amaryeh
amaryeh doesn't litteramaryeh doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Hebrew pdf output for kindle - newbie

Hi All, great forum!
I am very impressed by calibre, but have not managed to figure out how to do the following.
Kindle does not support hebrew (without the font hack), and even with the font hack does not support bidi or right-to-left text.
However, with a well sized page and font, hebrew pdf displays nicely.
I have done this manually by copy-paste to word with A6 page size and narrow margins, then saving as pdf.
I would like to be able to choose to do the same for free ebooks and/or news feeds via calibre.
This thread seems to be the right direction, but I didn't completely understand it.
I would like to be able to change the output at will (i.e. not have all books - including english ones - output as pdf).
Will I have to change the global preference each time? Which global preference is relevant? Can I run two instances of calibre each with a different global preference?

Thanks!
Aryeh https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif
amaryeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:18 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You can set your preferred output format in preferences->behaviour
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
amaryeh

Thanks Manichean.

My remaining question is whether I can change the behaviour per input or other parameter?

Failing that, can I have two instances of Calibre, one set to output .mobi and the other to output .pdf?

Or perhaps a different startup shortcut, so I can start it this way or that?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryeh View Post
Thanks Manichean.

My remaining question is whether I can change the behaviour per input or other parameter?
Unless you want to use the command line tools, you can't.

Quote:
Failing that, can I have two instances of Calibre, one set to output .mobi and the other to output .pdf?

Or perhaps a different startup shortcut, so I can start it this way or that?
I think you'd need to specify the config directory to be able to do that. Portable installations come to mind. There's a tutorial in the manual.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
Bjorn2Read
Consigliere
Bjorn2Read began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Perhaps you can bypass Calibre completely? If your Hebrew text can be placed in a Word document, you can use Word's "Save As PDF" feature. Make sure your page size in Word is comparable with your ereader's, otherwise you'll get mighty tiny text. For example, for the Kindle, make your page size 3.5"x4.5"
Bjorn2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
amaryeh

Yes, this is how I tested hebrew PDF on the kindle. I am hoping Calibre gives me a one-stop-shop to convert multiple input formats and/or newsfeeds to this format.