Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #46
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Yeah, I did away with it.

About 5 months ago, I replaced my drive with a 1 TB drive, but I also keep my calibre library on it (for faster access). It's also a place for temporary FLAC file placement, until I decide to put the files on a 128 gig card installed into my Astell & Kern AT100 II DAP player.
I gave up trying to keep everything on my SSHDs. My SSHD is for programs--that's 500gigs, and I put the data on my RAIDS, which are 2TB each, mirrored. Too much stuff! ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:06 AM   #47
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Curious that SSHDs should come up just now, I've just finished having a fight with a new Seagate model - turns out they don't like you to use NTFS compression on the folders. Only took me two days to work out what was causing them to go slow (fast for a few GB then really really slow - like it would have taken more than a week to transfer the TB of data I was trying to write to them). ... Way too much stuff!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #48
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Curious that SSHDs should come up just now, I've just finished having a fight with a new Seagate model - turns out they don't like you to use NTFS compression on the folders. Only took me two days to work out what was causing them to go slow (fast for a few GB then really really slow - like it would have taken more than a week to transfer the TB of data I was trying to write to them). ... Way too much stuff!
Yes. The "Scotty" of the Good Ship [my business] Enterprise here is constantly muttering something along the lines of "she's gonna blow!," when it comes to our backups. Which have their own damn backups. Which actually have THEIR own backups, if I think about it. (All the company's production and data records are on Dropbox folders, which have DB backup; which are, on my main computer, on my RAIDS, which are backed up to the mirrored raid; which are backed-up to the nightly, which gets backed up to the weekly full backup. I'm a demon about data.) Takes me an age to do a full backup, even my nightly incrementals take about 90 minutes. Sheesh.

Y'know, I'm pretty sure that I have Seagates, for my sshds. I could be wrong; we've swapped a lot of drives, the last few years. But I don't recall having an issue with the compression. Hmmm...

Hitch
Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #49
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Life was easier when I had my Commodore 64.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #50
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

I see your Commodore and raise you a TRS-80.
Ok technically that was my little brother's computer but he hated the lack of memory.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #51
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I see your Commodore and raise you a TRS-80.
Ok technically that was my little brother's computer but he hated the lack of memory.

I'll raise you a TI-99/4a - which I owned - although I never could afford the Expansion Box.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #52
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I'll raise you a TI-99/4a - which I owned - although I never could afford the Expansion Box.
Fold.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #53
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Fold.

It was either that or my wonderful (at the time) Kaypro II. (CP/M)
Old 10-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #54
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
It was either that or my wonderful (at the time) Kaypro II. (CP/M)
I'll see that Kaypro and raise you one Altair 8800.

Hitch
Old 10-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #55
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Vic 20 anyone?
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #56
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Vic 20 anyone?
Nice! ;-)

Hitch
Old 10-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #57
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Vic 20 anyone?
No, but how about my Coco computer I had when Tandy was a name to contend with. (With a chick-let keyboard.)
Old 10-12-2017, 10:25 PM   #58
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
[...]Y'know, I'm pretty sure that I have Seagates, for my sshds. I could be wrong; we've swapped a lot of drives, the last few years. But I don't recall having an issue with the compression. Hmmm...

Hitch
If the compression is done by the application (backup software or whatever) then I think you should be fine. My problem hit when using the NTFS (file system) compression flag which has the work done down at a lower level. I've never had it cause any issues before (usually barely notice it's set), but for some reason it seemed to cause these SSHD drives to get swamped and dragged the transfer rate down to 0..3 MB/s (yes, sometimes it hit zero). Probably getting into too much detail here, but what was really strange was that if I kept the source rate down to 50MB/s the drive could keep up, but when I let the input rate climb to 100MB/s the drive fell to its knees and cried for mercy. Remove the NTFS compression flag and the drive happily kept up with speeds at better than 110MB/s.

Quote:

My old abacus always confused me, I was sure someone was shaking the beads when I wasn't looking.

gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:54 AM   #59
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
If the compression is done by the application (backup software or whatever) then I think you should be fine. My problem hit when using the NTFS (file system) compression flag which has the work done down at a lower level. I've never had it cause any issues before (usually barely notice it's set), but for some reason it seemed to cause these SSHD drives to get swamped and dragged the transfer rate down to 0..3 MB/s (yes, sometimes it hit zero). Probably getting into too much detail here, but what was really strange was that if I kept the source rate down to 50MB/s the drive could keep up, but when I let the input rate climb to 100MB/s the drive fell to its knees and cried for mercy. Remove the NTFS compression flag and the drive happily kept up with speeds at better than 110MB/s.
LOL, cried for mercy. Mine seem to be reasonably happy, so, for now, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:
My old abacus always confused me, I was sure someone was shaking the beads when I wasn't looking.

Now you've made me laugh twice. :-)

Hitch
Old 10-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #60
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I hope to finish the more important sections this year, and to make progress on some other sections.

NeoOffice works reasonably well, and the navigator, and two windows of the same document, help with some of my original problems. I am having some minor pagination issues. I think part of my problem is trying to find the right balance between "[Software] ought to have the right tools, I need to find them," and "I can ignore this."

I think rsi makes compatibility more important, so if I have to set the project aside now, and return to it later, I can still open the project.

Dragon is a sore spot for me...
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
non-fiction, writing advice