Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-20-2018, 11:19 PM   #76
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Oh, I almost forgot the smiley.
Don't worry, even with the smiley someone is likely to get upset . Glad to see you can take a ribbing.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 09-20-2018 at 11:22 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:49 AM   #77
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That means Katsunami calculated correctly. He just used "pixel" as a length unit of 1/216th inch. In this case whether he did it on purpose (without saying) or by accident yields the same results. Imagine non square pixels, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That means Katsunami calculated correctly. He just used "pixel" as a length unit of 1/216th inch. In this case whether he did it on purpose (without saying) or by accident yields the same results. Imagine non square pixels, for example.
I don't assume. That 216 px/inch are calculated.

1920 x 1200 is a given spec by the manufacturer -> sqrt((1920 x 1920) + (1200 * 1200)) -> 2264 pixels for the diagonal. (Pythagoras.)

10.5 inch for the diagonal is a given spec by the manufacturer.

2264 px / 10.5 inch = 215.6 px/inch.

And yes, I calculated the 216 px/inch to be able to get the width/height of the display area in inches. Then I calculated the diagonal when taking half the width but keeping the height (as it is with two pages in landscape).

This wouldn't work well with non-square pixels. It can be done, but some adjustment factor is needed because one pixel in width, will not be the same as one pixel in height. I don't take those into account, because for all intents and purposes, non-square pixels aren't used in normal every day devices any more. (As far as I know.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-21-2018 at 05:55 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #78
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Perhaps not as irritating as all the posts expounding the wonders and advantages of E Ink over everything else that appear in these forums could be. Tablets and phones are hardly ever mentioned in these forums, in comparison, and in the main when they do they refer to objective attributes (such as the sizes I have just been providing) rather than subjective ones.

So perhaps, you are just being a little overly sensitive about the matter.
Where are you seeing this attitude on the part of e-ink users? I am one of several people who posted about why I personally prefer e-ink, but I don't recall myself or any other e-ink users posting anything negative about those who prefer LCD devices.

I have, however, seen posts in this thread and other past threads by people who insinuate that those who don't like to read on LCD haven't been bright enough to adjust the brightness setting.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #79
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Where are you seeing this attitude on the part of e-ink users? I am one of several people who posted about why I personally prefer e-ink, but I don't recall myself or any other e-ink users posting anything negative about those who prefer LCD devices.

I have, however, seen posts in this thread and other past threads by people who insinuate that those who don't like to read on LCD haven't been bright enough to adjust the brightness setting.
Yep. "E Ink fanboys" always have "subjective" reasons for preferring eInk Readers, whereas tablet users are "objective" and "scientific" in their assessments. Personally I don't care what device anyone else uses for reading. I know that I prefer eInk devices and I know why.

But what really riled me in this thread was the "E Ink fanboy" reference. The insinuation, of course, is that those who prefer eInk Readers do so out of "blind loyalty" or stubbornness, or are Luddites ... or whatever — and that our "claims" as to why we prefer eInk are just "made up" to cover up our innate fanboy-ism. I'm over it now ... I think.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #80
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Yep. "E Ink fanboys" always have "subjective" reasons for preferring eInk Readers, whereas tablet users are "objective" and "scientific" in their assessments. Personally I don't care what device anyone else uses for reading. I know that I prefer eInk devices and I know why.

But what really riled me in this thread was the "E Ink fanboy" reference. The insinuation, of course, is that those who prefer eInk Readers do so out of "blind loyalty" or stubbornness, or are Luddites ... or whatever — and that our "claims" as to why we prefer eInk are just "made up" to cover up our innate fanboy-ism. I'm over it now ... I think.
Yep. I use e-ink because it works better for me. I figure everyone else can use whatever device works for them. There's nothing wrong with any of us saying why we like our device and why we don't like reading on another kind, as long as we don't imply that other people are somehow stupid or inadequate because of their choice of device.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #81
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Phone or not, but I just notice I'm reading more, and, for some reason, I feel like I *want to read*, something which I haven't had for quite a long time. Quite often, I just couldn't be bothered with the e-reader, because it ended up in a place where I wasn't because I forgot to, or didn't bring it with me. (Like, forgetting it at home on my desk, or not bringing it to lunch when I was early or late and the only one lunching at work).

So I lost some reading time here, some there, in the end didn't even bother... but I *ALWAYS* have my phone in my pocket, and thus when given half a chance when I'm alone, I'll read.

And with regards to paper books... when I see my girlfriend jack-assing around with A5-sized or larger books of 500-1000 pages thick, trying to put them into a bag that's always too small and playing Tetris with the contents to get the m***r to fit in there, I get all nervous and antsy.

Like... There are better ways to carry letters with you, nowadays.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-22-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #82
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

And with regards to paper books... when I see my girlfriend jack-assing around with A5-sized or larger books of 500-1000 pages thick, trying to put them into a bag that's always too small and playing Tetris with the contents to get the m***r to fit in there, I get all nervous and antsy.

Like... There are better ways to carry letters with you, nowadays.
Why not give your e-ink readers to her, then? Or is she dead set on paper?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #83
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why not give your e-ink readers to her, then? Or is she dead set on paper?
She refuses to read anything not printed on paper.

She will actually buy paper versions of books I already have in my e-book library, even though she's always green with envy about said library.

*I upload 10 books to my e-reader/phone... she goes grumpy face...*

The irony is, she has an e-reader of her own, but it's "somewhere" in her parent's house. It's probably shelved among the paper books, with a broken battery as it hasn't been used for years.

I don't mind if she or anyone else reads on paper only, but you can't have 10 books with you at all times, nor can you have 5000 books in your library (in normal home), if you do.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-23-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:12 PM   #84
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
She refuses to read anything not printed on paper.
My daughter is the same. If it's not a physical book she's not interested.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #85
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Does she do her own dusting? This was my primary incentive for going digital
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #86
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
IMHO, if you're not interested in reading when it's not a book, you're not a reader... you're a book lover.

And yes, I'm a book lover. I buy very specific books as paper books: illustrated editions of favorite works, and illustrated historical/encyclopedic books/reference books, mainly. (Or books that I really want, and that don't exist as e-books.) These books add something to the reading experience which an e-reader, phone, or tablet can't provide.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #87
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
My kids are the same way. They see me reading on an ereader every day and expanding my ereader collection (thanks to shopgoodwill). I point out that they are running out of space for all of their physical books in their rooms, they can can carry hundred of books on an ereader, many books they like are available free, etc. Yet, when I offer them one of my old ereaders to read ebooks they tell me they prefer to read "the old fashioned way."

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 09-23-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #88
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

That's another point... My GF buys classics as paper books. As I have every classic she knows of, and probably in multiple versions and editions to choose from (Delphi, Feedbooks, etc), I consider it a waste of (her own) money.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:26 AM   #89
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
That's another point... My GF buys classics as paper books. As I have every classic she knows of, and probably in multiple versions and editions to choose from (Delphi, Feedbooks, etc), I consider it a waste of (her own) money.
I just bought some paperbacks on eBay, a trilogy I read in the 80s (Susan Dexter books). They were available as eBooks (now self-published, originally published by Del Rey). The reason I chose the old paperbacks over the new eBooks is because the amateur covers on the self-published eBooks were just hideously ugly. I know that's shallow, but the covers really were ugly. Besides, I think it also said "edited and enlarged," or something to that effect. I just wanted the same stories I read 40-some years ago, not something different with the same title. (I probably won't even like them any more.)
Old 09-24-2018, 01:50 AM   #90
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I just bought some paperbacks on eBay, a trilogy I read in the 80s (Susan Dexter books). They were available as eBooks (now self-published, originally published by Del Rey). The reason I chose the old paperbacks over the new eBooks is because the amateur covers on the self-published eBooks were just hideously ugly. I know that's shallow, but the covers really were ugly. Besides, I think it also said "edited and enlarged," or something to that effect. I just wanted the same stories I read 40-some years ago, not something different with the same title. (I probably won't even like them any more.)
If you mean The Ring of Allaire series, holy cow... those covers are truly awful.

Actually I can't remember having ever read them. So thanks for the tip. No paper books for me, I'm afraid. I'll just change the covers in Calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote