Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-21-2020, 06:17 AM   #1
TomMelly
TomMelly began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calling Sigil menu functions in plugin?

Hi,

I've written a small, personal-use, plug-in to perform some find-and-replace, called mara01.

That works fine, but the actual sequence of events when importing my book to Sigil is as follows:

1. Import docx + css via plugin (1)
2. Run plugin, shadycharacters (2)
3. Restructure epub to Sigil norm (tools)
4. Add cover, cover_01.jpg (tools)
5. Add metadata – title, author (tools, F8)
6. Run mara01 plugin (3)
7. Spit at markers (edit, F6)
8. Create TOC for h1 (tools, Ctrl-T)

Step 6 is my plugin, but ideally I'd like to add as many of the other steps as I can.

Any advice and/or suggestions as to how to go about this?

P.S. not really a python-person
TomMelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You can't call Sigil Menu functions from a plugin. You could probably manage to call another plugin, but it would be a precarious, fragile thing at best.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
TomMelly

So, I guess the follow-up is can anyone recommend any existing plugins I can cannibalise that do any of the following?

1. Add meta-data
2. Import covers
Old 10-21-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMelly View Post
So, I guess the follow-up is can anyone recommend any existing plugins I can cannibalise that do any of the following?

1. Add meta-data
2. Import covers
You might want to download the Sigil Plugin Framework Guide, if you haven't already done so.

For the first task you'll need:

bk.getmetadataxml()
bk.setmetadataxml(new_metadata)

For the second task you'll need:

bk.addfile()
bk.spine_insert_before()
(if it's an HTML cover file)

(You'll find some code examples in the test plugin.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:06 AM   #5
TomMelly

Many thanks - and, yes, I read the guide! (believe it or not)
Advert
Old 10-22-2020, 01:18 AM   #6
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Many thanks - and, yes, I read the guide! (believe it or not)
Would a separate macro app like Win Parrot help you? I have had a similar app running a sequence of Sigil menu items/plug ins.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:27 AM   #7
TomMelly

Ah - no, I'd read a different, more basic, guide.

Nearly there! (got the metadata working, now just the cover)
Old 10-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
TomMelly

Okay, so below is my final code, which does what I want.

The Sigil well-formed check doesn't give any errors, but is there anything obviously wrong with it? (I know very little about how an epub should be structured)

Code:
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

import sys
import re

def run(bk):

# sort-of check that we haven't run already
  gde = bk.getguide()
  if len(gde) != 1:
    print('Guide-count wrong - already run or wrong book?')
    return 0

# add title, classes and split-markers
  for (id, href) in bk.text_iter():
    html = bk.readfile(id)
    html = re.sub(r'<title></title>','<title>Mara’s Tale</title>', html)
    html = re.sub(r'<p>Mara’s Tale</p>','<p class="Title">Mara’s Tale</p>', html)
    html = re.sub(r'<p>By Tom Melly</p>','<p class="SubTitle">By Tom Melly</p><hr class="sigil_split_marker"/>', html)
    html = re.sub(r'<p>For India</p>','<p class="Quote">For India</p><hr class="sigil_split_marker"/>', html)
    html = re.sub(r'<p>Fifty-thousand years ago, central France','<p class="Quote">Fifty-thousand years ago, central France', html)
    html = re.sub(r'<h1>','<hr class="sigil_split_marker"/><h1>', html)
  bk.writefile(id, html)

# add metadata title and author
  xml = bk.getmetadataxml()
  xml = re.sub(r'\[No data\]','Mara’s Tale', xml)
  xml = re.sub(r'<dc:language','<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Tom Melly</dc:creator>\n<dc:language', xml)
  bk.setmetadataxml(xml)

# create cover html, plus spine and guide entries
  cxml = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>\n'
  cxml += '<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">\n'
  cxml += '<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">\n'
  cxml += '<head>\n'
  cxml += '  <title>Cover</title>\n'
  cxml += '</head>\n'
  cxml += '<body>\n'
  cxml += '  <div style="text-align: center; padding: 0pt; margin: 0pt;">\n'
  cxml += '    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 797 1057" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">\n'
  cxml += '      <image width="797" height="1057" xlink:href="../Images/cover_01.jpg"/>\n'
  cxml += '    </svg>\n'
  cxml += '  </div>\n'
  cxml += '</body>\n'
  cxml += '</html>'
  bk.addfile('cover.xhtml', 'cover.xhtml', cxml, mime='application/xhtml+xml')
  bk.spine_insert_before(0, 'cover.xhtml', None, None)

bk.setguide([gde[0], ('cover', 'Cover', 'Text/cover.xhtml')])

# import cover jpeg
  cover=open('C:\\Users\\tom\\Documents\\Personal\\Mara\\Sigil Build\\cover_01.jpg', 'rb')
  bkCover=cover.read()	#Load image into memory...
  cover.close()
  bk.addfile('cover_01.jpg', 'cover_01.jpg', bkCover, 'image/jpeg')

return 0

def main():
  print ("I reached main when I should not have\n")
  return -1

if __name__ == "__main__":
  sys.exit(main())
Old 10-23-2020, 04:23 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
The Sigil well-formed check doesn't give any errors, but is there anything obviously wrong with it? (I know very little about how an epub should be structured)
The well-formedness check is only a very basic check, you also might want to check your finished ebook with the IDPF Validator (EPUBCheck).

Shameless plug: I created a Sigil EPUBCheck plugin that you could use if you don't mind installing Java.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:36 AM   #10
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Shameless plug: I created a Sigil EPUBCheck plugin that you could use if you don't mind installing Java.
I recommend it. I find it invaluable and use it heavily.

Thanks Doitsu. It's a winner.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote