Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-08-2018, 02:49 AM   #961
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I see that Apprentice Harper has a new release of the DeDRM tools with initial KFX support. Thanks!

That makes my KFX Input conversion plugin for calibre much more useable.
Thanks for the heads up jhowell.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #962
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
nevermind

Last edited by odamizu; 06-06-2018 at 02:36 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2018, 03:33 AM   #963
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There is a new release that "hopefully fixes the problem with KFX and the stand-alone tools".
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #964
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There's now a new release "[...] hopefully a 64-bit Mac OS application that now works from the release download, and doesn't need an executable bit setting, and doesn't have an unnecessary splash screen"

It looks like that's true - I've just downloaded it.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #965
maximus83
Nameless Being

A related Q, based on the FAQ at the download site.

What version of ADE have folks been using to import purchased epubs into Calibre?

I've been using current/4.5 without issue. But I understand using anything v3 and later one may run into issues, and the recommendation there was to use v2. If that's the case, would be helpful to know a reliable download source, not seeing it at Adobe.
Advert
Old 02-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #966
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
A related Q, based on the FAQ at the download site.

What version of ADE have folks been using to import purchased epubs into Calibre?

I've been using current/4.5 without issue. But I understand using anything v3 and later one may run into issues, and the recommendation there was to use v2. If that's the case, would be helpful to know a reliable download source, not seeing it at Adobe.
I'm sticking with 2.0.1 myself. It's available here for both Windows and Mac:

https://www.adobe.com/support/digita...downloads.html
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #967
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I'm sticking with 2.0.1 myself. It's available here for both Windows and Mac:

https://www.adobe.com/support/digita...downloads.html
That's it, thanks.

Slightly curious what issues if any folks have had so far with ebooks from various stores and if anybody has actually run into the problem where they cannot import a specific book from ADE v3 or or higher. I've never actually seen that happen, or even heard of it, until today when I read the FAQ on the download site.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #968
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
That's it, thanks.

Slightly curious what issues if any folks have had so far with ebooks from various stores and if anybody has actually run into the problem where they cannot import a specific book from ADE v3 or or higher. I've never actually seen that happen, or even heard of it, until today when I read the FAQ on the download site.
It has to do with a new DRM scheme that is supported by newer ADE versions, but which the tools cannot deDRM. The bookstore has to also take advantage of the new DRM. If they only use the old DRM, then there is no problem.

ETA: That is a big if, but potentially locks you into an infected book. The caveat is that once you claimed your book through the new DRM scheme, then you cannot go back to an older ADE version to claim it again.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-26-2019 at 08:52 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:55 PM   #969
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It has to do with a new DRM scheme that is supported by newer ADE versions, but which the tools cannot deDRM. The bookstore has to also take advantage of the new DRM. If they only use the old DRM, then there is no problem.

ETA: That is a big if, but potentially locks you into an infected book. The caveat is that once you claimed your book through the new DRM scheme, then you cannot go back to an older ADE version to claim it again.
What I see happening here, and with the latest Amazon formats and client software, is troubling. I wonder if we're quickly approaching a point where the DRM will be unbreakable, forcing users to abandon the practice of being able to buy their ebooks from many sources, OWN their own ebook files that they paid for, and read them on any device.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:05 PM   #970
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What I see happening here, and with the latest Amazon formats and client software, is troubling. I wonder if we're quickly approaching a point where the DRM will be unbreakable, forcing users to abandon the practice of being able to buy their ebooks from many sources, OWN their own ebook files that they paid for, and read them on any device.
That has been the potential danger right from the start. There is unbreakable (in a reasonable amount of time anyway) cryptography, but it is ineffective when it comes to books. The worst that can happen is that we have to rely on the analog hole.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #971
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That has been the potential danger right from the start. There is unbreakable (in a reasonable amount of time anyway) cryptography, but it is ineffective when it comes to books. The worst that can happen is that we have to rely on the analog hole.
If we ever get there--I'm done with ebooks. Back to paper that I can own, loan, and read 30 years from now.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:46 PM   #972
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
If we ever get there--I'm done with ebooks. Back to paper that I can own, loan, and read 30 years from now.
Good that you can make that choice. For me the convenience of reading ebooks far outweighs pbooks. As far as storage goes, pbooks can be less secure. If you store all your books at home, a house fire can very effectively make them unreadable.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #973
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Whilst things could of course reach that stage, I very much doubt it. Adobe has now had its new DRM for some time. It's current DRM is useless to just about anyone who can google apprentice alf. Or who buys from our ethically challenged friends over at Epubor. Adobe had intended to forcibly switch everyone to this new version, but backed off under pressure. Now it is optional for retailers but the major ones have so far steered well clear of it. In fact I've heard of only a few cases of it being used at all. When and if it does become widely used, I expect it will be reverse engineered. The question is likely to be not if but when.

ADE 2.0.1 is as I understand it the last version of ADE that will simply not handle the new Adobe DRM. The danger with later versions is that if the new DRM is turned off the first you will likely know of it is when the tools fail to decrypt. At which point it is too late for that book. If you have 2.0.1 it will either download with the old DRM or not at all.

Amazon has started playing games with its own drm on its kfx files, for what reason I don't know. Historically my impression is that Amazon has not particularly cared about DRM, with publishers being the driving force behind its implementation. Whether Amazon's latest changes to kfx encryption are signs that this has changed or has been done for some other reason is a matter for speculation. The only fact we can be certain of is that there are currently some kfx files which the tools cannot decrypt. Fortunately there remain other alternatives, at least for the moment.

I have zero interest in going back to print books. However, I will certainly prefer purchasing my books from Vendor's without DRM or where DRM can be removed.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:46 AM   #974
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If the new Adobe DRM ever came into common use, I suspect that someone would reverse engineer it. The same applies if the new KFX format becomes the only format available. After all, the original KFX format itself, and its original encryption, were reverse engineered even while there were still alternatives.

When pre-1.25 versions of Kindle for Mac/PC stop working, I expect that within a few months someone will find it worthwhile to do the reverse engineering work.

But personally, I still use ADE 2.0.1 and Kindle for Mac less than version 1.25.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #975
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If the new Adobe DRM ever came into common use, I suspect that someone would reverse engineer it. The same applies if the new KFX format becomes the only format available. After all, the original KFX format itself, and its original encryption, were reverse engineered even while there were still alternatives.

When pre-1.25 versions of Kindle for Mac/PC stop working, I expect that within a few months someone will find it worthwhile to do the reverse engineering work.

But personally, I still use ADE 2.0.1 and Kindle for Mac less than version 1.25.
This is pretty much it. Most of the time, when a DRM scheme hasn't been cracked, it's because those with the skills to do so haven't bothered to do so. As long as the various ebookstores support the older programs (Kindle, Apple and Adobe) then people can use the older programs to remove the DRM and there is little incentive to put a lot of effort into cracking the new scheme. eBook stores want to see as many books as possible. They aren't going to cut customers off just because those customers haven't upgraded to the latest and greatest.

The programs that remove DRM from Apple products stopped working with High Sierra, about a year and a half ago. Those who care about it, just keep a machine at Sierra or lower. As far as I can tell, the issue is simply a side effect of Apple enhancing the overall security in their operating systems. No one has figured out a fix yet, but I get the distinct impression that no one is really working very hard on it. They have all moved on to other more lucrative ventures.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote