Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
richieiii
richieiii began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony PRS-350/650, landscape mode.

Hi everyone, I'm getting ready to buy my first ebook reader and looked at both the 350 and the 650 in a store today.

I noticed that, when turning pages in landscape mode, a few lines from the previous page would repeat on the following. I think it happens because the reader breaks the page in two, and the two halves overlaps between page turns.

I found it a bit disorienting, but maybe that's because I'm unaccustomed to ebook readers, so I'd be really interested in hearing how people deal with this - if you become used to it over time, or if it can be disabled or changed somehow?

Many thanks!
richieiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
That's the way it is... some people find it difficult to deal with, most end up taking it in their stride and not changeable...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
That didn't bother me, what did though was the default rotation direction, but fortunately that's user configurable:
HOME > Settings > General Settings > Screen Orientation > Rotate to: Left/Right
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Welcome richieiii!

It's odd that Sony did that, and it seems it annoys a good many people from reading around this site, but many others seem to not mind it.

I'm getting a new 950 today, and this is one of the reasons I decided on a 950 instead of a 650. With the 950, you can go landscape mode with 2-page side-by-side view, where there isn't any overlap. This is how I plan to read mostly. In single-page landscape mode, the 950 has the same problem with overlap I think, but I don't plan to read in that mode.

Maybe - and it's a huge maybe - Sony will eventually release an update correcting this in landscape mode, but I've heard their updates are few if any, so it could be awhile if ever.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've got the 950 and 350 and yes the 950 landscape mode is great in two-page mode. Apparently Sony decided that landscape mode on the 350 and 650 will show the same text as shown in portrait mode but will use a larger font and two screens which causes overlap. On the 350 landscape mode is uber annoying to me. I also have a Kindle WiFi and it does landscape differently. It retains the font size used in portrait and does not overlap text. I'm not sure why Sony insists on using a non-page independent format for landscape as it seems to defy the purpose of ebooks which is to reflow text screen by screen.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-07-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
meerkat
meerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: prs-650BC (was prs-600), ipad, kindle PW1,Google Nexus7 (2013)
I'm not sure if the overlap is happen to be or is a feature so that you have have some context conectivity. I'd think it is the latter case
meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
richieiii
richieiii began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi again, and thanks to everyone who replied.

I'm happy to hear some people aren't bothered by it, so hopefully I could become used to it as well.

I do wonder about something else, and maybe someone can correct me if I'm mistaken here: As I remember, the overlap didn't occur on every page. Occasionally there would be no line repetition. I think it may have happened when when the page counter changed.

If so, I guess it would indicate that overlaps only occur when the reader is using multiple screens to display a page, as jswinden said, but not when changing to a new page. Is this correct?
richieiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
meerkat
meerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: prs-650BC (was prs-600), ipad, kindle PW1,Google Nexus7 (2013)
Right, overlap only happens for lines around mid page, when display the botton half of the page on the screen

If you look at the left side of the status bar, it indicates which half of the page screen is displaying.

prs-600 also behaves like this.

(showing overlap across page is technically bit more difficult )

PRS-950 owners can also chime in here, as I belive 950 landscape PDF file separates a page into 3 screens, I wonder if you see the overlapping on both 2&3 screen top few lines

Last edited by meerkat; 12-07-2010 at 09:40 PM.
meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote