Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 06:15 PM   #16
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinryuu View Post
Ah, so this doesn't seem to be possible. For some reason I'm not a big fan of sleep mode though but that's just me.
I think sleep mode is great, deep sleep mode understandable if it actually increased battery life over previous devices, but not being able to power down sucks, especially for seldom used devices such as prior, stand-in, or specialty models.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #17
Shinryuu
Shinryuu began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 (4GB, G090G1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I think the Kindles only have a sleep mode (and not an "off") because they use NO power while displaying an image. Just when *changing* the image to another image. So "going to sleep" while displaying something uses up no power.

As I understand it.
I see. After reading a little I can understand that they're advertising that their screen saver is static and won't use power at all.
Shinryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I think the Kindles only have a sleep mode (and not an "off") because they use NO power while displaying an image. Just when *changing* the image to another image. So "going to sleep" while displaying something uses up no power.

As I understand it.
That is not true. The display is not using any power, but the Kindle itself is, even when sleeping, and the Kindle Oasis 2 is still using power when deep sleeping. Please see this thread for an explanation of e-reader power usage.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=1603683
Old 11-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gui.olivers View Post
Really? When I bought the kindle it was off. Is there any way to turn it off again?
It is so bad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I think sleep mode is great, deep sleep mode understandable if it actually increased battery life over previous devices, but not being able to power down sucks, especially for seldom used devices such as prior, stand-in, or specialty models.
Use the search bar command to put it in "shipping mode".

Use the search function on the developer's sub-form here to turn up listings of the search bar commands (doesn't matter how old, there has been little change in them over the years).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Use the search bar command to put it in "shipping mode".

Use the search function on the developer's sub-form here to turn up listings of the search bar commands (doesn't matter how old, there has been little change in them over the years).
You've already written that in post #7 in this thread.

Post #8 claims that de-registers the Kindle and does a factory reset. Nobody disputed that. Is it true?
Old 11-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #21
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
The "waking up" message is when it wakes up after going into deep sleep, which happens after an hour or two of sleeping.

Put it to sleep with the power button, let it sleep for at least 2 hours, wake it up, and let us know what happens.
Thanks... I will check that out.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:45 PM   #22
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Post #8 claims that de-registers the Kindle and does a factory reset. Nobody disputed that. Is it true?
That's just something I read somewhere. I cannot confirm its accuracy. When I first learned about the "shipping mode" command, I did a lot of Googling, and what I found dissuaded me from trying it.

But if anyone wants to give it a go and report back, I think everyone here would be interested in the results!

Here's a list of commands from the Wiki, FYI: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin..._Bar_Shortcuts

Shipping mode is ;shpm or ;lzzl

ETA: And here's a post from knc1 that reads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And you could use the 'shipping mode' if you wanted to.
It is a little bit extreme, I think you would have to set it up again when you did wake it up. [emphasis added]

Last edited by odamizu; 11-13-2017 at 11:50 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:23 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Shipping mode is a kind of "factory reset plus" operation, as I understand it. Definitely not something to try if you have content you wish to retain on your Kindle!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #24
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Shipping mode is a kind of "factory reset plus" operation, as I understand it. Definitely not something to try if you have content you wish to retain on your Kindle!
Which sounds perfect for a Kindle you sell to a third party.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Which sounds perfect for a Kindle you sell to a third party.
Absolutely, yes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle poweroff, power off