Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #31
D4N14L
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
Who are you and what have you done with our Chubulor? It is true that Android Market access is still a challenge, even with 2.2, as Google, when you can get them to actually talk to you, is claiming a ridiculous backlog on device licensing. As for the Open Handset Alliance, anyone wonder why they only have 20 device manufacturer vendors as members?

TC
I'll tell you what happened. you guys decided to tell us whats happening. While you may see a lot of anger in this thread, a lot (including Chubulor) are just happy to know how the development team is doing. We got angry because it took a full season for you to communicate the status. If you could do a small status update every 2 weeks, I can assure you that the community would be much happier than not having knowledge of what's going on.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #32
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4N14L View Post
the community would be much happier than not having knowledge of what's going on.
The peasants get restless, as it were, and the pitch forks come out

Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #33
dontpanic
Edge User

We have heard the message and will try to provide more updates. Every two weeks for development updates is probably not possible, as we do have competition and cannot possibly survive with that kind of transparency. We will try to do better, though.

TC

Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #34
Dr. T
Edge User

While it is true that there has been a lot of apparent anger from many people regarding the infrequency of the updates and the apparent change in plans, I think this is really just indicative of passion for an excellent device. Despite its imperfections, the EE has filled a niche for each of us, and we just want to see it being improved. That being said, you have to respect the folks at Entourage for not just throwing crummy updates at us and letting us discover and work out the bugs for them. The last think any of us want is a bricked eDGe.

That being said, a higher frequency of updates would be nice...

Old 11-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #35
LarsonMattr
Edge User

I agree that it is a disappointment, but I am glad they have given us the information at least.
It is too bad that the eDGe development and market access have been very slow - and this is why the Ipad now controls 95% of the tablet market.
I do recognize that it is hard for a small outfit like Entourage to compete against a huge software/hardware development corporation like Apple however.

I still hope that the eDGe gets access to the Android market, thats the number one flaw with the device..

Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #36
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
We have heard the message and will try to provide more updates. Every two weeks for development updates is probably not possible, as we do have competition and cannot possibly survive with that kind of transparency. We will try to do better, though.

TC
I hadn't even thought about the competition issue... my guess is that many of us hadn't. Regardless, EE's willingness to listen to their customer-base is remarkable. Thank you very much, dontpanic, for the affirmation.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #37
pat.indie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4N14L View Post
While you may see a lot of anger in this thread, a lot (including Chubulor) are just happy to know how the development team is doing.
I, for one, am certainly not angry. Just a tad disappointed that we will not see 2.2

Also let me say that I truly appreciate being informed by the EE staff about status of 2.2.

Peace

Old 11-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #38
D4N14L
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat.indie View Post
Also let me say that I truly appreciate being informed by the EE staff about status of 2.2.
AHEM.
told ya so.

Well, 2 weeks maybe not. But once a month would be great. Fantastic, even.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #39
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Who are you and what have you done with our Chubulor?
I was having a less than miserable day. Don't get used to it; I certainly haven't.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #40
mrspaceman
Edge User

I for one have given up worrying about what Entourage do. I am just waiting to get my hands on a 10" developer friendly Android tablet. then I will be selling my eDGe and actually developing for a device that wants apps, not fighting with a platform that doesn't want developers.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #41
Dr. T
Edge User

I'm sad to hear that, mrspaceman.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #42
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaceman View Post
I am just waiting to get my hands on a 10" developer friendly Android tablet.
Just curious, is there a particular device you have in mind, or is this a more hypothetical wish for something with those characteristics?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #43
dontpanic
Edge User

A couple of you have made the comment that you are not expecting an update to Froyo for the eDGe now that I have stated that there will be some delay. We are working hard on Froyo for both the Pocket eDGe and the original eDGe. We are just not going to make a Fall release for the original edge as we originally planned.

TC

Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #44
alefor
Edge User

Dontpanic---- Thank you very much for the clarification. I personally appreciate this kind of communication very much, and I hope others do as well. I think this type of comment by you will go far to decrease the level of frustration that some people are feeling (or at least expressing).

Old 11-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #45
pat.indie
Edge User

Quote:
A couple of you have made the comment that you are not expecting an update to Froyo for the eDGe now that I have stated that there will be some delay. We are working hard on Froyo for both the Pocket eDGe and the original eDGe. We are just not going to make a Fall release for the original edge as we originally planned.

TC
Thanks for the clarification. My question is (as others have suggested earlier), why not go for Gingerbread if there are issues with Froyo? By the time you get to Froyo, Gingerbread will be well and out.