Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #4171
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Congratulations!

Perhaps it's just that there haven't been any big offers, but I've managed to keep my purchases down to just seven this year, and that's including my subscriptions.

I do have some Baen books on my wishlist that are just waiting for a good Kobo Coupon. There was that 60% one for Taiwan, but I just couldn't summon up the energy to go all that distance. It's only a "we miss you" 50% that has got me so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #4172
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
If you've ever bought ebooks at Google Play, it might be worth visiting their site. I had a "$5 off on any ebook costing over $5" coupon that I promptly used on one of the Big Five books that's been on my high-priority wishlist for a couple of years. (Specifically, Simon R. Green's From a Drood to a Kill, ninth in his Secret Histories series. Book ten is already out, and number eleven is either out or coming soon.)

I also picked up three of John Scalzi's Old Man's War books while they were on sale, as I did not have them as ebooks and don't think it's likely that I'll be able to convert them for less anytime soon (for a value of "soon" measured in years). In the process, I discovered something annoying about the Goodreads "import Amazon purchases" feature. If you've already shelved one version of the book, it won't show the new purchase in your grid. You'll have to either add or switch editions manually. (It also doesn't fill in the "I own a copy, bought here on this date" information, but I already knew that.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2017, 05:05 AM   #4173
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
So six weeks into 2017 and I haven't bought any books at all. I find it easier if I avoid bookstores or don't visit sites where you can find ebooks. My book-loving friends find it hilarious that I am even trying to limit book purchases and don't think I will stick to my R1000 limit this year.

Unfortunately, I am not making much of a dent on my TBR pile as in the last few weeks I have only had time to read books borrowed from my book club, rather than my own mountain of unread books, but the year is still young.
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:18 AM   #4174
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Congratulations! An inspiration to us all!

I did manage to resist a Steampunk omnibus recently, when I found that the one book in it I was really interested in was a collection of novellas rather than a complete novel.

But I'm still finding it hard to keep purchases under control. Still, at 13 bought books read vs 8 books bought, I'm doing a lot better this year than last, so far.

But I have four subscriptions coming in between now and 1st March, so I really need to not buy any more of anything else!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:12 AM   #4175
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I built up an early deficit and have been chasing it ever since. A bit like my credit card. And I'm going to start Shogun any day now, which will slow me down somewhat.

I'm not too worried yet, though.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #4176
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I built up an early deficit and have been chasing it ever since. A bit like my credit card. And I'm going to start Shogun any day now, which will slow me down somewhat.

I'm not too worried yet, though.
Well, reading Shogun will keep you busy for a while. A huge book that I originally read when it first came out, and did a re-read of in Audible format in the last couple of years. A mere 53 hours of listening pleasure.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #4177
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It had to happen; 2017 is no longer as unsullied as the three feet of snow I see outside my window. Kobo sent me a 90% coupon and I fell.

To tell the entire truth, Kobo sent me an unworking 90% coupon, for the second time this year. Tired of going to the effort of picking out a book only to play Charlie Brown to Kobo's Lucy, I decided to try the old 90% coupon from the first Kobo deals post and although I've used it before, it worked. Let me add I feel entirely justified under the circumstances.

So I got a $25 wishlist book that moreover hasn't been available at Kobo until now, because I've checked every time I had a coupon. And, it's a book that fits one of my 2017 reading challenges. I'm content, but back on the wagon!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #4178
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It had to happen; 2017 is no longer as unsullied as the three feet of snow I see outside my window. Kobo sent me a 90% coupon and I fell.

To tell the entire truth, Kobo sent me an unworking 90% coupon, for the second time this year. Tired of going to the effort of picking out a book only to play Charlie Brown to Kobo's Lucy, I decided to try the old 90% coupon from the first Kobo deals post and although I've used it before, it worked. Let me add I feel entirely justified under the circumstances.

So I got a $25 wishlist book that moreover hasn't been available at Kobo until now, because I've checked every time I had a coupon. And, it's a book that fits one of my 2017 reading challenges. I'm content, but back on the wagon!
I think that's an entirely justifiable purchase!

Two of my subscriptions have come in. I'm now at ten books bought this year. But with 13 bought books read, I'm doing pretty well.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #4179
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Perfect use for a 90% coupon, and who cares about the provenance, given the one they sent you didn't work. (And these days, it seems like the 90% in the coupon is actually reporting the percentage of failures you'll get. )
Old 02-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #4180
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Two weeks since my last purchase. One day at a time.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:48 AM   #4181
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Two weeks since my last purchase. One day at a time.
Congratulations!
Old 02-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #4182
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Kobo's just toying with me now. I got another 90% coupon.

Well, it's too good a deal not to try to use it and goodness knows my wishlist is long enough.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #4183
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
A recent review of my credit cards has been quite effective in helping me to resist buying a bunch of $1.99 whispersync audiobooks. I will be strong.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:22 AM   #4184
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Kobo's just toying with me now. I got another 90% coupon.

Well, it's too good a deal not to try to use it and goodness knows my wishlist is long enough.
Nice. Even if it puts your goals in jeopardy. Kobo seems to have decided I'm only worth 50% coupons lately. Nice, but not compelling enough to get me to buy something I wouldn't otherwise buy.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:14 AM   #4185
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I've slipped a bit this month. Eight books bought, and while I don't really regret any of them, perhaps there are three that on reflection I should have resisted at the moment.