Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 02:59 AM   #61
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Before I graduated High School the only things I read of my own accord were comics, newspaper and magazines. I cringed when forced to read anything in school. Shortly after I graduated I picked up The Exorcist and haven't stopped reading since.
So to coin Flip Wilson's phrase, "The devil made you do it"?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:24 AM   #62
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
So to coin Flip Wilson's phrase, "The devil made you do it"?
Seems safe to say. I didn't stay with horror after The Exorcist, just grabbed up whatever was around.

You know you're getting old when you don't have to google Flip Wilson.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #63
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Oh geez, I'd probably have to go all the way back to something like Sideways Stories from Wayside School and the Danny Dunn series.

What made me love the art of writing and storytelling was being exposed to An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge in high school. It blew my mind.

Last edited by xg4bx; 04-29-2013 at 03:52 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:07 AM   #64
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Oh geez, I'd probably have to go all the way back to something like Sideways Stories from Wayside School and the Danny Dunn series.

What made me love the art of writing and storytelling was being exposed to An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge in high school. It blew my mind.
Regarding your avatar: http://pictures-of-cats.org/What-Is-...rumpy-Cat.html

Thanks.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #65
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post

I remember Danny Dunn. There were a number of books about him and his adv. with Prof. Bullfinch I believe. Good reading as a kid. Along with Encyclopedia Brown.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #66
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Seems safe to say. I didn't stay with horror after The Exorcist, just grabbed up whatever was around.

You know you're getting old when you don't have to google Flip Wilson.
Guilty. Celebrated bday 42 last Dec. Yep a child of the 70's. Things certainly have changed since then. I'm just barely older than PG.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #67
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Guilty. Celebrated bday 42 last Dec. Yep a child of the 70's. Things certainly have changed since then. I'm just barely older than PG.
You sir are still a baby.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #68
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
You sir are still a baby.
Apache
I'm in my early twenties, so I guess that makes me an embryo?

Last edited by sneakyspider; 05-11-2013 at 12:21 PM.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #69
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Books were always around and I could read by the time I was four. But the light went on with E.B. White (Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, The Trumpet of the Swan). That's when I realized, in first or second grade, that magic was possible.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #70
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Robert Graves, author of The White Goddess, postulated that the "secret wisdom of the Druids" was the knowledge of reading and writing.

On the other hand, as an anthropologist, Graves was a great poet.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #71
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I guess it must have been White Fangs by Jack London, after that I decided that books, at least some books were for me
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #72
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I guess it must have been White Fangs by Jack London, after that I decided that books, at least some books were for me
White Fang.

White Fangs makes it sound like he wrote the first sparkly vampire novel.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #73
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
The first book which I remember having a huge impact on me, and how I viewed the world, was "The Silver Sword" by Ian Serraillier. I think I may have been 8 or 9 when I read it. There had been many books before that, but that was *the* one.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #74
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
It's a toss up between Cinderella and the Br'er Rabbit books (Enid Blyton).

Funnily enough, in grade school I devoured literary fare (Little Women, Shakespeare, etc) and encyclopedias (favorite subject matter being dinosaurs, Greek and Roman mythology, and the solar system/stars/universe). If I was bored enough, I'd even read the dictionary. Nowadays, my reading material appears to be limited to trashy romance novels.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #75
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
lol, yeah I guess you're right. I did not remember that detail and I just went with logic, dogs having more than one fang ...
But White Fang is the title indeed. I read it a long time ago though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
White Fang.

White Fangs makes it sound like he wrote the first sparkly vampire novel.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote