Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
Search History is getting in my way

When typing in the main search box, if I should pause for a moment, calibre takes an entry from the search history and puts it in the search box. After about 1 second, it moves the cursor to the end of the search string and applies the search criteria to the main display. Usually, the search string fetched from the search history is not what I wanted, and if I don't type quickly enough, the cursor goes to the end of the string and I have to backspace over the unwanted text in order to continue typing the search criteria that I want. I find this inconvenient.

Is there any way to clear the search history? Alternatively, is there a setting or tweak that will disable the search history?

On a related note, I really cannot see any difference in how calibre acts if I either set or clear the "Search as you type" preference setting. I would think that, if the setting is cleared, calibre would not apply the search criteria until I typed Enter. But such is not the case. The search criteria are applied after a short delay regardless of the preference setting. Is there something that I am not seeing?

If it helps, this is calibre 0.7.13 running under Windows 7, 64-bit.
RichieTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieTheK View Post
When typing in the main search box, if I should pause for a moment, calibre takes an entry from the search history and puts it in the search box. After about 1 second, it moves the cursor to the end of the search string and applies the search criteria to the main display. Usually, the search string fetched from the search history is not what I wanted, and if I don't type quickly enough, the cursor goes to the end of the string and I have to backspace over the unwanted text in order to continue typing the search criteria that I want. I find this inconvenient.

Is there any way to clear the search history? Alternatively, is there a setting or tweak that will disable the search history?

On a related note, I really cannot see any difference in how calibre acts if I either set or clear the "Search as you type" preference setting. I would think that, if the setting is cleared, calibre would not apply the search criteria until I typed Enter. But such is not the case. The search criteria are applied after a short delay regardless of the preference setting. Is there something that I am not seeing?

If it helps, this is calibre 0.7.13 running under Windows 7, 64-bit.
Preferences
Interface
"Search as you type" (and other settings).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Preferences
Interface
I can confirm what the OP said. Regardless of the setting of "Search as you type" Calibre is searching before I finish typing. I'm also running under Windows 7 64 bit.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
regression will be fixed in next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
regression will be fixed in next release.
Thanks Kovid,

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
Thanks for the replies, I await the next release.
RichieTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
Xtian33
Nameless Being

I am using calibre 0.7.20 and I can't find a way to disable the search history, no options in preferences.
If I made a mistake in typing the search field, there is no way to get rid of this mistake.

can some body help me ?
Many thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtian33 View Post
I am using calibre 0.7.20 and I can't find a way to disable the search history, no options in preferences.
Preferences - Look and Feel - Search as you type (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	searchasyoutype.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	58860  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
Xtian33
Nameless Being

The attachment help a lot, I am using calibre translated in French, the translation is not obvious for this item.
It works now, the search area "understand" only english terms, I am going back to English interface.
Thank a lot
Old 09-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtian33 View Post
The attachment help a lot, Thank a lot
I'm glad I could help.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Preferences
Interface
Note that if you turn this off, you can't search for recipes. If you type a normal book search into the search bar, (with this option off) you hit enter to do the search. If you do that in the recipe search, it closes the recipe dialog window.
(I keep meaning to fix this, but haven't gotten around to it.)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote