Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
ChrisPyLord
ChrisPyLord began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
iPad battery life

So now that the iPad is out, I wondered what the battery life was like in real life use. I am sure that I will use it for more than just reading but my main use case is reading for 1 hour a day or so and then on long flights when travelling.

Mu iPhone needs charging every day, do I have to always have a charger cable with me for the iPad or can it survive for a week of light use?

Thanks,

Chris
ChrisPyLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
battery life is amazing.

on-and-off usage all day, i've gotten well more than 12 hours out of it.

pretty much continuous usage all day with a few short breaks, i've gotten at least 8 but didn't run it dead.

apple says reading, surfing, watching video all consume about the same amount of power. one review (ars technia's) i read said that playing 3d games chewed up power faster and they got about 6 out of it straight through before it died.

for normal daily usage for me i'll easily get power all day and just plug it in at night when i get some sleep.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPyLord View Post
So now that the iPad is out, I wondered what the battery life was like in real life use. I am sure that I will use it for more than just reading but my main use case is reading for 1 hour a day or so and then on long flights when travelling.

Mu iPhone needs charging every day, do I have to always have a charger cable with me for the iPad or can it survive for a week of light use?

Thanks,

Chris
I would carry the charger. Two reasons:
The supplied charger is small and would take little room to pack.
You will use it more than you proBably think.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
The battery lasts "all day". Really, between me and my three daughters, our iPad is used heavily and we've yet to need to do anything but charge it over night.

At night I'll see the charge at 50% or even 30%.....and then remind myself "that's still plenty" (unlike with my iPhone).

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
yup basically forever battery life. I take it to class every day ~10 hours & usually only go down to 55-60%
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Battery life is acceptable, but nothing near my 505. Lots better than a laptop.

What I wish for is that it would not drop me from my wifi network. Three times so far this morning, and it is not even 9:00 yet.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I haven't had the wireless problems that everyone is having yet. So far I'm still at around 89%.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'd say my girlfriends has been getting right around the advertised 10 hours.

Pretty damn impressive for what it does. Not going to work for people who need the week or two battery life of their e-ink device.

But for me, that could handle even the heaviest day of use I could ever through at it, and in more typical use I'd be charging ever 3 or 4 days at most as I'd probably only use it an hour or two a day tops.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

The first battery cycle was a little weak (not uncommon)... maybe 6 hours... after that it has been great... I would say over 10 hours with moderate use.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote