Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Smile THE SCRUBS by Simon Janus

New to Kindle and Smashwords is the eBook version of The Scrubs.

James Jeter, the notorious serial killer with a sixth sense, holds court inside London's Wormwood Scrubs Prison. He's the focus of the "North Wing Project." Under the influence of a hallucinogen, Jeter can create an alternative world known as "The Rift" containing the souls of his victims. Pardons are on offer to inmates who'll enter The Rift. Michael Keeler has nothing to lose and little to live for. He's sent into The Rift to learn the identity of Jeter's last victim. It's a mission where the guilty can be redeemed, but at a price...

Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/The-Scrubs-ebook/dp/B003DQNXTS
Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/11486

What They Are Saying About The Scrubs:
"The Scrubs is one merciless piece of work."
- Gary A. Braunbeck, author of Coffin Country

"The Scrubs...it's a journey to a Twilight Zone of our time."
- Mort Castle, author of The Stranger

"Lean, mean fear machine - The Scrubs is gruesomely inventive entertainment."
- Simon Clark, author of This Rage of echoes

"The Scrubs is a superb, fast-paced journey through the hell of incarceration...and way, way beyond."
- Tim Lebbon, author of Dawn

"This is a fascinating, disturbing journey."
- Dark Discoveries Magazine

"A surreal horror trip."
- Horror Fiction Review

It was the first book to come out under my horror pen name Simon Janus a couple of years ago. For the English folk out there, you’ll recognize the name of the prison.

Thanks for listening and I hope you’ll check it out.

Last edited by Simon Wood; 04-21-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guest blogged over at Comet Press about my book, The Scrubs and its origins. I hope you find it interesting.

http://cometpress.us/blog/?p=348
Old 04-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Just bought it from Smashwords.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Simon Wood
Addict

Steady, Lene. You're in danger of becoming a fan. :-)
Old 04-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Steady, Lene. You're in danger of becoming a fan. :-)
Yes... I really do like your writing.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Simon Wood
Addict

Yay...
Old 04-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Simon Wood
Addict

There's a nice review about The Scrubs and an interview. Please enjoy.
http://www.davidniallwilson.com/inte...ng-list/scrubs
http://www.davidniallwilson.com/inte...ews/simon-wood
Old 05-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Simon Wood
Addict

I've been spotlighted at the Indie Spotlight.

http://www.theindiespotlight.com/?p=1372
Old 05-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
Simon Wood
Addict

The Scrubs picked up a cracking review today. :-)

http://redadeptreviews.com/?p=2688
Old 05-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Simon Wood
Addict

I don't know why, but I'll take it. Amazon has discounted The Scrubs. It's only 99 cents. I'm not sure how long the discount lasts.

Last edited by Simon Wood; 06-03-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
Simon Wood
Addict

Thumbs up THE SCRUBS Now 99cents (Amazon Discount)

For some reason, Amazon have cut the price of my prison-set supernatural thriller The Scrubs to 99 cents.

Description: James Jeter, the notorious serial killer with a sixth sense, holds court inside London's Wormwood Scrubs Prison. He's the focus of the "North Wing Project." Under the influence of a hallucinogen, Jeter can create an alternative world known as "The Rift" containing the souls of his victims. Pardons are on offer to inmates who'll enter The Rift. Michael Keeler has nothing to lose and little to live for. He's sent into The Rift to learn the identity of Jeter's last victim. It's a mission where the guilty can be redeemed, but at a price...

The book recently picked a really nice review from Red Adept. http://redadeptreviews.com/?p=2688 so I hope people will check the book out.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Simon Wood
Addict

Amazon is still offering The Scrubs at half price, but I expect that to change at the end of the month. Don't miss out. :-)
Old 08-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
DebbiM
Enthusiast
DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
While horror is not usually my genre of choice, a book like THE SCRUBS could easily make me a convert.

The novella opens with prisoner Michael Keeler being led by guards to the mysterious North Wing of the Wormwood Scrubs penitentiary, where he's agreed to participate in a hush-hush project of some kind. One in which prisoners go in, but don't come back out.

Since he's serving time for a double homicide committed during a bank robbery (and since one of his victims was a child he killed by accident) Keeler feels he has little to live for or lose by signing up for the project. Little does he know what awaits him.

Inside the North Wing, deranged serial killer James Jeter has been hooked up to a bizarre contraption and force-fed hallucinogens, in order to create an alternate reality using Jeter's subconscious mind -- a place reachable via The Rift (a portal between worlds, also created by Jeter's mind).

Two other prisoners have entered The Rift and failed to return. Keeler's job is to find them and bring them back.

I will say no more about the plot, except to applaud Simon Wood (writing as Simon Janus) for his incredibly imaginative (if occasionally grotesque -- be aware that the book includes scenes that aren't for the faint of heart ) imagery and deviously clever plot twists. He even manages to weave in a subtext in favor of prison reform and against cruel and unusual punishment. Not to mention one deriding the evils of greed realized at the expense of human decency.

I exaggerate not when I say that, from the moment I started reading this novella, I simply couldn't put it down. I could scarcely wait for the next page to come up on my Kindle after the end of each chapter, so I could see where the story would go next.

THE SCRUBS is short enough to be consumed in one sitting (which is how I read it), but substantial (and haunting) enough to leave you pondering the end long after finishing it.

Best,
Debbi
[In-text promotional links deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-10-2014 at 12:15 PM.
DebbiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #14
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This is a disturbing book--don't read it if you value your sanity, because the rules of this world are challenged. As well as the higher law of good and evil. Enter...if you dare.

Scott Nicholson
http://www.hauntedcomputer.com
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #15
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I bought the Scrubs from Smashwords, before I had my Kindle. I loved it, and will probably buy more of Simon's works.

Plus he's a Brit !!!
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote