Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
mountainman80
mountainman80 began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
conversion problem?

Hi, I am new here and am not sure if this was discussed in another post. I recently converted an ebook from pdf to epub using calibre software for my ipod touch. While reading completed book, I noticed words that should have started with "th" now start with "m" on some of the pages on my ipod touch. I use stanza to read my books. I am not sure why this is. Any ideas?
mountainman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
PDF is not a good format to convert from. There is no software available that can convert a novel length PDF without errors. The only way to fix the errors is to compare the PDF to the ePub and fix all the errors. I know it can be a long and tedious process, but it's the only way to do it to get a resulting ePub with no conversion errors.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
A J Edwards
A J Edwards began at the beginning.

Device: PDA
I am having nothing but problems trying to convert books that I have written to epub. As far as I am concerned all teh software goe in the wrong direction! As a writer I want to convert from MS Word (.doc) to .epub and I want it to be WYSIWYG. I have been using Calibre by saving my book as an HTML document and then having Calibre convert it to epub. Unfortunately it is not WYSIWYG, it adds extra blank lines. Even When I edit the document and try and remove line feeds where not strictly necessary I still get extra lines added whenever I have a short line. For example:

"This is a test
to see if it works."

comes out as

"This is a test

to see if it works."

Can anybody help?
A J Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
How are you creating the short lines? You should be using shift/enter to create them. If not then they are treated as separate paragraphs.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Edwards View Post
I am having nothing but problems trying to convert books that I have written to epub. As far as I am concerned all teh software goe in the wrong direction! As a writer I want to convert from MS Word (.doc) to .epub and I want it to be WYSIWYG. I have been using Calibre by saving my book as an HTML document and then having Calibre convert it to epub. Unfortunately it is not WYSIWYG, it adds extra blank lines. Even When I edit the document and try and remove line feeds where not strictly necessary I still get extra lines added whenever I have a short line. For example:

"This is a test
to see if it works."

comes out as

"This is a test

to see if it works."

Can anybody help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
How are you creating the short lines? You should be using shift/enter to create them. If not then they are treated as separate paragraphs.

Dale
To piggyback on DaleDe's comment, one of the limitations of HTML is that by default it puts a blank line after each paragraph. It is possible to change this via cascading style sheets (CSS).

When you hit Shift-Enter in MS Word it puts a line break into the paragraph, and moves the text following the line break to the next line, but it still considers the text before and after the line break as one paragraph.

If you want to edit the HTML directly, you can insert the line break tag (<br>) where you want the text to break. To provide an example that I hope is clear:

Using your example, if you hit the return where you want the line to break you will get something like the following in HTML:

<p>"This is a test</p>
<p>to see if it works."</p>

and it will display like this:

"This is a test

to see if it works."

However, when you type the following:

<p>"This is a test<br>to see if it works."</p>

you will get this:

"This is a test
to see if it works."

I hope this helps.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
There is a similar discussion in the Calibre forum; if I've got the link right it should be here
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:57 AM   #7
A J Edwards
A J Edwards began at the beginning.

Device: PDA
Many thanks for this. My view is that if I have the "perfect document" in MS Word then the conversion software should be capable of delivering it exactly the same in epub format. It should not be necessary to mess around editing the document.
My interest is in writing books - not in messing about with them. I have also had a good look at various other packages and quite frankly none of them really deliver the goods.
Perhaps this is why they are free? Surely someone out ther has a commercial package that can deliver the goods? I live in hope.
A J Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Many thanks for this. My view is that if I have the "perfect document" in MS Word then the conversion software should be capable of delivering it exactly the same in epub format. It should not be necessary to mess around editing the document.
I think you need to choose different program than MS Word to create the docuemnt. While the document in MS Word looks perfect, the underlying representation in HTML is a hopeless mess.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
My interest is in writing books - not in messing about with them. I have also had a good look at various other packages and quite frankly none of them really deliver the goods.
Perhaps this is why they are free? Surely someone out ther has a commercial package that can deliver the goods? I live in hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
I think you need to choose different program than MS Word to create the docuemnt. While the document in MS Word looks perfect, the underlying representation in HTML is a hopeless mess.
To see an example of the kind of HTML that MS Word delivers, create a short document in MS Word, save it as HTML, and then open it in a text editor. This can be a real eye opener.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote