Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Cybook Gold...

Had a bath last night, so the Cybook was in the Aquapac case, and not the leather protective one... Must have sat it on the bed when I went to get dressed after, and forgotten about it.

Got up this morning and realised what I'd done... it was on the floor and there is a dent on the screen, which now just shows garbage...

So I've destroyed the screen.

I take it that it's now worthless, and even if I got Bookeen to repair it I'd be looking at the price of a new unit?

Edit : Changed the title to be a bit more descriptive, now I'm having to buy a new un.

Last edited by Halk; 12-21-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Need to buy a new one :/
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Had a bath last night, so the Cybook was in the Aquapac case, and not the leather protective one... Must have sat it on the bed when I went to get dressed after, and forgotten about it.

Got up this morning and realised what I'd done... it was on the floor and there is a dent on the screen, which now just shows garbage...

So I've destroyed the screen.

I take it that it's now worthless, and even if I got Bookeen to repair it I'd be looking at the price of a new unit?
Depends if it was under warranty. If not, you're looking for another unit or a repair cost of around $135/Euros. (Depending on your country. And shipping is extra.) Sad to hear this.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Outside warranty, it's 18 months old. Guess I'll be ordering a Cybook gold after checking the competition...

I believe a Cybook Gold comes with directory support?

Edit :

As far as I understand... compared to my Cybook Gen3 (original version)

- New firmware with folder support
- Mobi support removed
- ePub (inc. DRM) added
- More memory
- Faster processor
- Better SD card support

Other than that it's the same?

I really do need to order this tonight, I can't envisage life without my Cybook!

Last edited by Halk; 12-21-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
New firmware with folder support
- Mobi support removed
- ePub (inc. DRM) added
Yes

Quote:
- More memory
- Faster processor
Yes, since your gen 3 is old

Quote:
- Better SD card support
don't know.

Personaly, i would ask for screen change, cost less than a new one (120 euros). And ask bookeen to update while they are on it
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Halk
Fanatic

The Good News

Well, I bought a replacement - couldn't face the Christmas holidays without my book.

It came today, despite the adverse weather.

It came with a case, and earphones (would be better off with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm extension, but I won't use em regardless).

It's faster, not just noticably faster, but there's no near second delay at all, I push the button and it goes forward a page.

Directory support is excellent, nested directories are supported. So for example I could have...

Books\Fiction\Dick, Philip\Short Stories

The screen does appear a little clearer - that may be an age thing.

The case it came with is a tighter fit, so the cybook won't slide out - it had done that a few times in the past. It's got a hole for the light to shine through... and it's black. They've even made the case matt so it won't reflect the light I attach, rather than the old brown (leather/pleather) one which did reflect light back as it had a gloss finish.

I'll have to convert my books, but that's not an issue either. I do like Mobipocket software, but again if I build a book in that I can just chuck it through Calibre.

Sadly it doesn't merge directories from the SD and main memory. So if for some reason I wanted to use the maximum possible storage on it, I'd have my books split across two different directory structures.

The about page doesn't detail what firmware version I'm running. It just states Version : ARM920T (400mhz).

So the cloud had a silver lining, my Cybook has been improved greatly.
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Well, I bought a replacement - couldn't face the Christmas holidays without my book.

It came today, despite the adverse weather.

It came with a case, and earphones (would be better off with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm extension, but I won't use em regardless).

It's faster, not just noticably faster, but there's no near second delay at all, I push the button and it goes forward a page.

Directory support is excellent, nested directories are supported. So for example I could have...

Books\Fiction\Dick, Philip\Short Stories

The screen does appear a little clearer - that may be an age thing.

The case it came with is a tighter fit, so the cybook won't slide out - it had done that a few times in the past. It's got a hole for the light to shine through... and it's black. They've even made the case matt so it won't reflect the light I attach, rather than the old brown (leather/pleather) one which did reflect light back as it had a gloss finish.

I'll have to convert my books, but that's not an issue either. I do like Mobipocket software, but again if I build a book in that I can just chuck it through Calibre.

Sadly it doesn't merge directories from the SD and main memory. So if for some reason I wanted to use the maximum possible storage on it, I'd have my books split across two different directory structures.

The about page doesn't detail what firmware version I'm running. It just states Version : ARM920T (400mhz).

So the cloud had a silver lining, my Cybook has been improved greatly.
I remember using one one of the faster cybook at the salon du livre, and thinking it acted weirdly. That I realised it was faster.

Quote:
I never though they could be. I see you point though. (But the programmer in me says "Oh the mess !")
Old 12-24-2009, 03:53 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I remember using one one of the faster cybook at the salon du livre, and thinking it acted weirdly. That I realised it was faster.
The new CyBooks with the 400MHz processors are very noticeably faster than the 200MHz models that we both have! The most noticeable difference is the boot time, which is essentially halved.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:20 AM   #8
Halk
Fanatic

It seems faster than that Harry. I think the newer firmware has an effect on this, perhaps it's some sort of disk caching, or just more efficient than the old firmware.

In any case it's all great until you go to read an ePub, at which point it slows right down again. 20 seconds roughly to open a book Additionally if I hit "goto" the Cybook just quickly reboots. However that's just for one book which is badly formatted - there's no paragraphs or blank lines.. I don't know if that affects it. Other books are snappy.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The new CyBooks with the 400MHz processors are very noticeably faster than the 200MHz models that we both have! The most noticeable difference is the boot time, which is essentially halved.
Yeah, i noticed that with the opus (One of the reason i don't regret spending money on it )
Old 12-24-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
So, the new firmware is great.

Now, lemme have it!
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
Halk
Fanatic

Krystian - I phoned Bookeen and told them to release the firmware right now. They did.

I'm back on the 1.5 firmware... surprisingly there's a fair bit of difference in 'feel' between the 2.0 and the 1.5. I definately prefer the 1.5, but I couldn't adequately explain why.

Now I'm back on 1.5 with mobi support, it really is my old Cybook with everything polished.