Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Will eBooks be the salvation for newspapers & magazines?

Will ebook readers and tablet PCs be enough to save magazines and newspapers? via IT PRO

Quote:
Some are calling it the year’s hottest Christmas gadget. Others are suggesting it’s the future of publishing. Whatever you think, ebook readers are big news this year.
More rumours of an apple table mentioned.
Quote:
The tablet, however, has more potential. “Until the tablet takes off and is popularly priced, and is built on a business model that works, I think it's going to be a challenge. When that happens, I think the tablet could be the newspaper and magazine's best friend."
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Mags and newspapers won't be "saved" by e-books until (unless) they come up with a presentation format that optimizes the electronic reading experience. Most of them haven't even tried to do that for the web, or if they have, their web-formatted magazines tend to be poor substitutes for the printed version.

(Caveat: I realize there are sources like Texterity, that essentially turn magazine pages into zoomable pictures. Some may like that, but I don't consider it optimizing for electronic formats. It's basically an online substitute for print.)

I do believe we will eventually see a magazine create an e-book-optimized format for presentation, something that will work so well that other magazines and newspapers will emulate it in time. But we seem to be along way from that, and we can expect a few papers and mags to go under before it gets here.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I don't know about newspapers, as I mostly use newspapers to pack up boxes that I am shipping these days, but reading this article (Thanks WDE, BTW, and Welcome Back!) made me realize the considerable benefit magazines on tablets would be! As others have often mentioned the scads of overstuffed bookcases they have, which I have too, all I have to do is look around my living room to see the piles of magazines I have and don't know what to do with and the boxes filled with cooking and remodeling magazines I'm not ready to part with. It was like an epiphany!

I used to spend days at a time "periodically" going through piles of magazines, pulling out the pictures or articles, ideas & recipes I'd want to save before I tossed the magazine into the recycling bin. Now with all of the time I spend on MR, I just don't have the time for that!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Ebooks will not be the only thing that leads to the survival of newspapers and magazines, the thing that will enable them to survive is taking advantage of all their options from their existing paper sales, ebook versions and charging for or earning money from their online editions.

You see similar things with television production where things like co-production deals with foreign companies, dvd sales etc. all lead to ratings not being the only deciding factor in a show's viability and has lead to some coming back from the dead after being cancelled too.

Getting back to the ebook point, until we at least get colour devices and ideally larger screens too, newspapers and especially magazines won't be as good on an ebook as novels are.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Mags and newspapers won't be "saved" by e-books until (unless) they come up with a presentation format that optimizes the electronic reading experience. Most of them haven't even tried to do that for the web, or if they have, their web-formatted magazines tend to be poor substitutes for the printed version.
Or, rather more likely, eBooks won't threaten anything or anyone until eBook makers come up with and/or widely implement an eBook format that can represent the full complexity of printed paper.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
meraxes
Connoisseur
meraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-booksmeraxes has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pocketbook 301+
Tablets won't save the newspapers as such but they will let them survive in the form of news web sites with paid-for premium content. What's the point of sticking to a newspaper format (i.e. dailies, weeklies etc) if you can update every single second? A tablet is essentially a web browsing device, and the best format for the web is the web site. There's no point trying to cram a daily broadsheet into a web-capable ereader.
meraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Pfft, I could've sworn everyone got over the whole misconception that Ebook Readers Will Save Newspapers and Periodicals From Total Doom after the Kindle DX came out. Seems to me that anyone thinking along those lines is either clutching at straws, or just scraping the bottom of the Ebook Hype Barrel.

After all, once upon a time the music industry was convinced that ringtones were going to be a substantial revenue generator, but now that the novelty is wearing off, people are figuring out how to make their own ringtones, and money is tight, ringtone sales are dropping.

I don't see much of a future for tablets. Battery life will suck, they'll be too big to use as a phone or a PDA, too underpowered and hard to type on to challenge netbooks, and far too expensive since wireless carriers won't have an incentive to subsidize them like they do cell phones. By the time they've hit their 2nd or so iterations, color eInk screens may be shipping. I'm sure a few tablets will hit the market, but I expect they will be a niche product.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
IMHO, if newspapers and magazines need to be saved, then the problem is the content, not the form.

I think that publications' biggest problem today is that nobody wants to buy what they are selling. I don't think that will change when the content becomes downloadable.

I can imagine, sort of, that in the 21st century there will be digital publications which will replace the newspapers and magazines of the 20th century. But I think that the publications of today will become a thing of the past.

As a simple example (and I don't want to start an argument about this), a Gallup poll of a couple of months ago found that only ca. 22% of Americans consider themselves liberals, yet nearly all metro daily newspapers are liberal. This is not to pass judgment on the newspapers themselves - only to say that there are not enough liberals to keep them afloat. That won't change just because paper and fuel costs are eliminated.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
As a simple example (and I don't want to start an argument about this), a Gallup poll of a couple of months ago found that only ca. 22% of Americans consider themselves liberals, yet nearly all metro daily newspapers are liberal. This is not to pass judgment on the newspapers themselves - only to say that there are not enough liberals to keep them afloat. That won't change just because paper and fuel costs are eliminated.
I'm not sure how that's relevant, myself: Papers sell to whomever's buying (and frankly, I'd challenge that "nearly all metro dailies are liberal" line, but you're right, let's not stray). Same thing goes for magazines, and for that matter, literature: If they want to stay in business, they'll figure out who their market is and sell to them. (Besides, 22% liberals in America is still a lot of people.)

Anyway, the beauty of the e-market is that it changes the economics. With some concerted effort, certain viewpoints may discover that they can reach a larger market through digital distribution, creating a greater variety of content for all.

But even that won't help if the material is presented so badly that no one wants to read it. Newspapers and magazines are optimized for their delivery system. Web and e-news and zines need to do the same thing.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
With some concerted effort, certain viewpoints may discover that they can reach a larger market through digital distribution, creating a greater variety of content for all.
Steve, what I have found different about the internet is the ability of people with a particular interest to congregate at a website. As you say, 22% of the American population is a lot of people. But I am thinking about a fraction of 1%. The internet enables intercourse among people who would never have known that the others existed. Their location is irrelevant.

As I see it, this will translate into web-magazine sales because the marketing of the mag can be focused on the relevant websites.

For example, in the whole world there are only three English language forums I am aware of related to modern jazz. Someone wishing to publish (if that's the right word for a webzine) a jazz mag need only advertise on those three sites. The publisher can find out quickly if the entire market has any interest.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #11
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Neither industry is likely to be saved by tablets - or e-readers (software or hardware). Both industries need to make some major changes in their operations and their output... a paradigm shift.

Consumers simply do not have time to "find" something of interest within either medium. (Hence the explosion of social networking websites.) Once found, we don't have the time to file it logically, nor the space to retain it. Even if we did, we still need to be able to re-locate it immediately in order to put this specific material to good and appropriate use in a timely fashion. Neither medium allows this in their current form. And this is exactly where a computer excels.

Another, somewhat related issue, is the need for true "micro-payments". A means of paying ridiculously small amounts of money for ridiculously small products. It should be possible to spend a few cents to purchase an article. Not $1.99 or some other inflated amount based on what some focus group thinks is a "fair value". Or what the VIPs need in bonuses this year. Or what the stock holders want as dividends.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:11 AM   #12
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
IMHO, if newspapers and magazines need to be saved, then the problem is the content, not the form.
It's not the content.

The idea that the media is overwhelmingly liberal is a bit of a myth; don't forget that one of the biggest media moguls still around is Rupert Murdoch, who is a die-hard right-winger / Republican supporter. And I have my doubts that newspapers in Texas, for example, really swing hard to the left....

Regardless, newspapers are getting hit hard, regardless of political orientation. The problem is that readership is shifting from print to the Internet. Readers are reluctant to pay, and news sources can't make up the difference via ad revenue, especially as advertisers pull back due to recessionary pressures.

For example, the New York Times may be regarded as a liberal paper -- but it's published in an obviously liberal/Democratic region and is getting hit pretty hard. Their political positions haven't changed significantly, yet in 2008 ad revenues fell 13% and total revenues fell 8%.

Similarly, the NY Post generally leans to the right (it's owned by Murdoch) and circulation is down by at least 1/3 since its peak in 2007 (and it hit that peak largely by dropping its price from 50¢ to 25¢); so even if you believe that "New York is a liberal city" is largely a myth, its right-wing content is insufficient to increase its circulation, revenues and profits.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:09 AM   #13
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
on a somewhat related note, my mom had me cancel her 25+ year subscription to the l.a. times. when i called to cancel, the rep told me that subscribers to the physical newspaper also got access to the website. they didn't offer a website-only option, not even at the same price as the physical newspaper. since my mom was moving to a smaller place, she didn't want tons of papers arriving each week, and is tired of having to carry them to the recycling area. the l.a. times is not apparently set up to comprehend this situation.

personally i don't care whether i read news on my computer or my cybook, but i'd like more accurate news rather than spin. i can get spin at any blog. i hardly need to pay to read it.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I haven't had a newspaper subscription since I have had regular web access... about 13 years I suppose. the hassle of getting my paper (a mile to my mailbox/paper delivery spot) the hassle of disposing of the used content (even with 3 fireplaces, I would still have leftover papers) and the damn inserts! having said that, as a regular business traveler, to include a job where I spent a year and a half of new city every week for projects... one of my first buys was always the local paper.

magazines are a little harder to make that break from. National Geographic is an annual gift from my folks, and the pictures are great, (yes I know you can access it online). Ski and Skiing would be hard to replicate with a reader or online especially if utilizing the manuever articles. American Rifleman comes with NRA membership, I still get one ladies mag in the mail (gotta have something to read in the bath!) and the different magazines in store are hard to resist, especially when I see the recipes and such on the fronts. for me, that is probably the toughest competition for my magazine dollar
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
since my mom was moving to a smaller place, she didn't want tons of papers arriving each week, and is tired of having to carry them to the recycling area. the l.a. times is not apparently set up to comprehend this situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
and the damn inserts!
Inserts=ad $$. Many newspapers are still tied to their old ad model in which physical distribution is vital for ad sales, which is why they won't allow online-only subs. Online ads get priced differently and are not nearly as profitable.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote