Old 07-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast
cmhsieh54 began at the beginning.

Device: None
SD card issue, and 'unsecured' PDFs?

Hi all,

Am seriously considering the iRex Digital Reader now. I have 2 questions:

(1) As I understand it, this device comes with a 1GB SD Card. What's the largest SD card that you guys are putting into this thing?

(2) I have read that the device can read 'unsecured PDF's'... does that mean that there are some kinds of PDF's that it can't read? If so, how do I tell what is or is not readable, and how do you guys go about converting those?

Thanks in advance.
-cmhsieh54
cmhsieh54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsieh54 View Post
(1) As I understand it, this device comes with a 1GB SD Card. What's the largest SD card that you guys are putting into this thing?
It should support any SD card. Officially, it does not support SDHC cards, but many people are using them with no real problems.

Quote:
(2) I have read that the device can read 'unsecured PDF's'... does that mean that there are some kinds of PDF's that it can't read? If so, how do I tell what is or is not readable, and how do you guys go about converting those?
PDFs with DRM in them (Adobe Digital Editions) are currently not supported, but iRex has announced that they have made a licensing agreement with Adobe to support them in the future.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsieh54 View Post
(2) I have read that the device can read 'unsecured PDF's'... does that mean that there are some kinds of PDF's that it can't read?
I'm not sure if it can read PDFs with passwords. It should be able to, because the iLiad can. If not, it is very easy to remove the password.

As Shaggy says, Adobe ebooks are typically PDFs with Adobe ADEPT DRM . These are not currently readable on the DR, but the DRM can be removed (if this is legal for personal use where you live), see Adobe ADEPT DRM for PDF circumvented, to give you a DRM-free PDF.

Finally, there are several 3rd party encryption packages for PDFs. Documents protected by these won't work on the DR.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I'm not sure if it can read PDFs with passwords. It should be able to, because the iLiad can. If not, it is very easy to remove the password.
The DR1000 can read password-protected PDFs as long as the password only stops you from editing the PDF, not viewing it.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote