Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 10-05-2004, 11:13 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Cybook E-Book Tablet finally ready for the market

Several months ago I reported about a preview of the Cybook e-book reader hardware that was available for order. Now you can order the final version (USA, Germany).

Let me tell you first what I like about the Cybook: support of multiple e-book formats. No matter whether you are dealing with DRM-protected Mobipocket, MicroBook, Boo Reader, HTML, TXT, Winword RTF, PTab XLS - the Cybook supports it. If only Sony had listened to the market and done the same for the Librie, I bet, it would have been as popular as Apple's iPod is today.

What do I not like about the Cybook? The price. 734.90 Euro or USD $744 is just "a bit" too much for what I would be willing to spend on a dedicated e-book reader.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
macrotor
Connoisseur
macrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it is

Device: Tungsten|C with Nokia6200
<sigh> It reads ebooks. The screen is not THAT big. Why does it cost as much as a laptop?

Dang it, I'd love to see Palm put out a double-size Hi-Res+ version of the Tungsten|E for those with lesser eyesight that want to use a planner, play a couple games, and read eBooks. Make it 320x320 (or even 320x480), but large-pixel. That's all. Call it the Zire eReader.

Ah well.
macrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Too expensive for something that you can read books on. I already have an ebook reader. It's my zire71 change the font/size in isilo and its wonderful.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
For the Librie (or its display technology) I would have been willing to pay a high price (perhaps not $744, but still it would have been worth something to me). Why oh why did Sony screw it up so badly
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:01 PM   #5
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
The price is very high. The price is about half way between a top of the line PDA and a Tablet PC, yet it really has the power of neither.

Much better idea than the Sony Libre, I must applaud Cybook for trying to overcome the ebook format compatability issues and making the whole ebook reader hardware and software issues seamless.

But what we really need is a sub $75 mult-format (Win., Mac, Linux compatible) ebook hardware reader not a $750 ebook reader.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
It's pretty heavy too: 1 kg (2.2 lbs). That's a lot to carry around. Not quite as portable as I'd like.

Quote:
But what we really need is a sub $75 mult-format (Win., Mac, Linux compatible) ebook hardware reader not a $750 ebook reader.
Brad, you're spot on. The way to really get the tech out there would be to offer truly affordable models that do nothing but ebooks. Wonder how long before we see such a thing?
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:39 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I agree Brad. That's a good idea. Maybe a simple change in packaging, a slightly bigger screen, and a new ebook-based launcher (or customized form of an existing launcher) and it would be a great product. You could even include a CD or DVD with large portions of the Gutenburg ebook collection, and a trial subscription to Audible. Not sure how many people are willing to spend $s on it, though. Maybe put big fonts, bit buttons and market to older folks to help them read even when the eyes are fading a bit? In a few years, I look forward to continually increasing the font sizes myself!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:00 PM   #8
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Rechargeable Li-Ion (6900 mAh) (3 to 5 h of autonomy)
3 to 5 hours is too short for autonomy. And you thought the T3 had bad batteries! But if this monstrous battery is not enough, then nothing will be!
Anyway I think it's healthy to have new devices with different capabilities in the market.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 04:44 AM   #9
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
The Cybook runs on CE 3.0. Isn't this a discontinued OS?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:45 AM   #10
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
The Cybook runs on CE 3.0. Isn't this a discontinued OS?
That is what I thought too. I thought it was all going PPC?
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:11 PM   #11
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I hear it's only got a 66MHz processor in it as well.... not good if you want to run something like MS Reader, or do much searching, scrolling or image viewing (speaking from experience herer).

It's a good idea, but doomed to fail with those specs and pricing.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote