Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #136
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by delph View Post
Not always an option to not add people you're not interested in. Try ignoring friend requests family members some time.
My ex-girlfriend seems to have no trouble ignoring my friend request.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #137
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I have both a Facebook and a Twitter account. The Facebook sees more use though. I think while it can be abused( like anything) it has its good points too.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #138
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Businesses and strangers don't feel any need to answer, or answer immediately. In the case of job applications, they are sending you a very definite message by NOT responding. They are saying you are not worth replying to... Proper manners would dictate that they at least contact you to say 'sorry but...'
Family and friends do need to reply. That's what family and friends are about; communication.

It is rude to not reply to 'most' e-mails from a friend. Even if it is just a one-word post, you MUST reply. It's bad manners not to. And that's a pretty pushy way to just make a comment they can just as easily see on Facebook WITHOUT forcing them to reply.

Stitchawl
I guess the level of expectation depends on your particular friends and family. I have some family members who like to send out group emails (the only information that can be seen in the address line is "undisclosed recipient"). Some of the emails are actual personal news, while some are just stupid jokes or whatever. I don't respond to a lot of them and nobody seems to be offended.

I do usually respond to emails that are sent to me personally as the only recipient, but if it's clearly a group mailing I don't feel obligated to respond.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #139
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I guess the level of expectation depends on your particular friends and family. .......SNIP.......
I do usually respond to emails that are sent to me personally as the only recipient, but if it's clearly a group mailing I don't feel obligated to respond.
... which is why, in my post I said;
"It is rude to not reply to 'most' e-mails from a friend. " The operative word being 'most.'

Stitchawl
Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #140
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
sorry, Stichawl, I guess you were talking about email to one person, in which case yes, I usually do feel some obligation to respond.

I apparently incorrectly read your post in the overall context of the discussion, where many people seem to be saying that they feel they can't use emails as general announcements, they way they would use facebook. I just wanted to point out that in my particular circle, group emails do work.

I guess I should have picked a different post to quote from.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #141
SouthernSun
Connoisseur
SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Not always an option to not add people you're not interested in. Try ignoring friend requests family members some time.
My excuse is "oh, sorry, I never got your request."
Whether they believe that or not... Is not something that I care about.
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #142
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
sorry, Stichawl, I guess you were talking about email to one person, in which case yes, I usually do feel some obligation to respond.

I apparently incorrectly read your post in the overall context of the discussion, where many people seem to be saying that they feel they can't use emails as general announcements, they way they would use facebook. I just wanted to point out that in my particular circle, group emails do work.

I guess I should have picked a different post to quote from.

No harm, no foul.

Stitchawl
Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #143
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSun View Post
My excuse is "oh, sorry, I never got your request."
Whether they believe that or not... Is not something that I care about.
Hah! Perhaps I should try that.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #144
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Hah! Perhaps I should try that.
Only if you think they'll also believe 'the check is in the mail.'

Stitchawl
Old 07-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #145
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I'm 24, so I'm still young enough for Facebook to be an issue, but it's not. I only go on it to post my photography whenever I shoot pictures, or just have a rant I really need to get out. So sometimes it's two weeks, or even a month between Facebook checks. I don't have the app on my devices, and for that matter, I DON'T have ANY social networks on my Android phone or iPad.

I ignore 100% of friend requests from relatives, teachers, and people I haven't seen in the last 5 years. I sat by myself at parties, at school, and at home. If you didn't bother to approach me then, then there's no point in doing so now. I had text messages enabled for YEARS, and not a single text or call from ANYONE. People never even bothered asking me for my number.

I don't care what they think of me for it. If they're so sore from not being in my "circle", then they obviously need something better to be doing. I'm not their "entertainment", nor do I have any care in the world for someone I haven't seen in 10 years.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #146
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I sat by myself at parties, at school, and at home. If you didn't bother to approach me then, then there's no point in doing so now.
Anti-social-networking though I am, I must say, as one of those guys who was afraid to approach girls in high school, there may be a point. People grow up and learn. Sometime it's nice to have a second chance, and good things could possibly come of it.

Imagine if no one would have friended Robert Johnson after he got back from the crossroads.....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #147
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I find facebook to be quite useful. It keeps me in touch with my friends and family - real friends, not "friends" that the only thing you have in common with them is Farmville.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #148
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I find facebook to be quite useful. It keeps me in touch with my friends and family - real friends, not "friends" that the only thing you have in common with them is Farmville.
I first join Facebook for the games. So when my family started using Facebook I opened a second account. So I have two. One for personal real life people I know and the second one for my online life which my family don't have access to.

This way I can be me without criticism from my family who still think I should be somebody else. I am able to vent without people like my mother worrying.

After I stopped playing FB games I got rid of the people who I added just for it and now it's just online people I met through common interests like The Sims 2 and eBook Reading on there. They are good people I never want to lose touch with.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #149
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I first join Facebook for the games. So when my family started using Facebook I opened a second account. So I have two. One for personal real life people I know and the second one for my online life which my family don't have access to.

This way I can be me without criticism from my family who still think I should be somebody else. I am able to vent without people like my mother worrying.

After I stopped playing FB games I got rid of the people who I added just for it and now it's just online people I met through common interests like The Sims 2 and eBook Reading on there. They are good people I never want to lose touch with.
Which means they are not very serious about weeding out accounts opened with false information (even though they proclaim to be)?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #150
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Which means they are not very serious about weeding out accounts opened with false information (even though they proclaim to be)?

My accounts are both with valid information. The same name and birthdate. Just the email is different. I don't think Facebook has a problem with you having two accounts as long as you don't give out false information. I only have my cell linked to one account though.

Last edited by Blossom; 07-23-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote