Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-10-2004, 09:46 PM   #1
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Thumbs up Do androids dream of electric sheep?

The moment I finished "Do androids..." by Philip K. Dick, the moment I wanted to recommend it to everyone. For the first time in a while, it was really hard for me to put down a book (actually, turn my palm off) and go to sleep.
I'm not really into Sci-Fi, I stumbled upon this book in a funny way. Although I've seen Blade Runner (whose plot is inspired by this book) I had not heard of "do androids" ever. Instead, I found out about the electric sheep screen saver in an article about "distributed computing", if I may call it that way, in the Discover magazine (both links are very interesting). The screen saver guy tells in his website where he got the inspiration to name his project like that. The rest is history (hehe).
But I haven't told you about the book. Well, just a few words: PKDs style is not what you might call "high literature" (does that expression exist in English?), instead he has a lot of imagination and explores, beyond intelligent machines and extraterrestrial collonization, the human nature through the most diverse circumstances (like interacting with an android). Also, he has the gift to tell very interesting histories.
You can find an article about Philip K. Dick here.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:54 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Philip K. Dick was a hugely influential science fiction writer. And Ridley Scott's Blade Runner is such a classic! Harrison Ford at his best. Did you know that the movie "The Minority Report'' was also inspired by Dick's (considerably bleaker) short story? Another recent Sci-Fi movie based on one of Dick's short stories was "Paycheck".

Thanks for bringing up "Do androids..." again. I have always wanted to read it and I think I will run to the public library later
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2004, 10:10 AM   #3
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Great! Minority report was a cool book...I recommend that one too.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Cool, I got a recommendation in return!

By the by, does anyone know what does "blade runner" mean? It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe there's an explanation in the movie, but I saw it soooo long time ago...
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:56 AM   #5
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Btw, according to The Guardian, a survey of scientists, among them evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins and Harvard psychologist Steven Pink, has chosen Blade Runner as the world's best science-fiction film
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert