Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #16
JohnMorris
Enthusiast
JohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS650, Kobo touch, PRS-T1
I thought I'd find this mentioned here! I got the email and bought the bundle. Some well known authors there. One book I already have, but only on paper; the others are new for me.

If you're a graphic novel lover (I'm not) beware that the graphic novel included in the bundle may be a challenge. The display is an unreadable mess on Firefox with the Epub reader extension.
JohnMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #17
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
It's not really "pay what you want" if you have to beat the average (12$ and rising) for Gaiman's and Scalzi's books, is it? Also, not really all that much into SF, so I'll pass for now.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 04:09 AM   #18
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I grabbed. Two of the books were on my wish list anyway and I was quite interested in the Scalzi book as well.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #19
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I paid now, they will likely add something bonus there so better be early.
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #20
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Despite being broke, I bought the humble bundle for a few dollars, MOSTLY for the Doctorow book, because I received an advance paperback copy, which my son is now happily reading, now I get one for my Kindle, as well as the other books. Thanks!

Edit: I so so so wish I could afford to give way more - this is an awesome idea and I want to support it.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 10-10-2012 at 05:30 AM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #21
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
Saw the email this morning and wish I bought it first thing. Ended up paying just over $12 which is fine. Happy to support this initiative. And in case anyone is wondering, @wilw is Wil Wheaton, and the others aren't.
ozron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is NOT News.

Do not post Freebies' deals in the News forum.

Since there is already a thread on this topic, your thread has been merged with that other one.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #23
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
It's not really "pay what you want" if you have to beat the average (12$ and rising) for Gaiman's and Scalzi's books, is it? Also, not really all that much into SF, so I'll pass for now.
Of course it's really pay what you want - for the 6 books. *THOSE* are the Bundle. The graphic novel and Scalzi's novel are *bonuses*, in addition to what's in the Bundle, for beating the average.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I own three of the books, but I'm going to purchase anyway.

Why? Because I think this sort of thing needs to be encouraged and authors need to see that this is a worthwhile thing to do. $3 a piece for the six main books is less than $20 and as that's more than the current average, I pick up the extra two.
That's exactly why I jumped on it. To show them that I will pay for them to produce. It's also a bit of a notice for their publishers... and it's for charity besides.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #25
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Of course it's really pay what you want - for the 6 books. *THOSE* are the Bundle. The graphic novel and Scalzi's novel are *bonuses*, in addition to what's in the Bundle, for beating the average.
It is not pay what you want, if you want to pay 0.00 for them you cannot.

Not sure if this works the same as their software bundles but I have never paid more than a few cents for them and always got the bonus items as well.

It is also obvious that someone may be cheating with this deal, who would pay $1000 for this bundle that you can buy for $52 ? Well a greedy author might, if they see they have made several thousand in a couple of days they may invest some of their earnings back into the system and buy the bundle for a ridiculous price, setting the payment to go 100% to themselves and giving a quick boost to the average price which everyone feels they have to beat.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #26
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed The Windup Girl and have heard good things about Paolo Bacigalupi's shorts. For that, a Neil Gaiman graphic novel and a few random selections I think it was worth a couple of $10 spots so I bumped up the average a bit just now.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #27
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
Yes, but that's because you wouldn't be paying anything. To "pay" for something, something has to be going from you to them.

Quote:
Not sure if this works the same as their software bundles but I have never paid more than a few cents for them and always got the bonus items as well.
Strange. You must've gotten very lucky, then.

Quote:
It is also obvious that someone may be cheating with this deal, who would pay $1000 for this bundle that you can buy for $52 ?
You are forgetting that these Bundles are for *charity*. For example, during Humble Indie Bundle 5, Notch (creator of Minecraft) donated a whopping US$12,345.67, despite having absolutely no stake in that Bundle, and donated $10,000 during Humble Indie Bundle 6. (and Humble donations are even more charitable than most, it seems, since I can't seem to find any information on acquiring reciepts to claim tax deductions)

Last edited by JD Gumby; 10-10-2012 at 10:08 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
It is also obvious that someone may be cheating with this deal, who would pay $1000 for this bundle that you can buy for $52 ?
Same people who have thousands to give to charities.

It's not just people who want to get things cheap. Some people pay more (a lot more) to support the authors/developers and help them create more things.

It's no different than some of the kickstarter projects were certain people easily give over $10,000 for something that's worth less than a $100. There's no cheating at all going on.

I give as much as I can to them, even if I could have it for a few cents, just to help and support them.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I think it's reasonable to say that paying nothing isn't paying for them.

I think your conspiracy theory about the large payments is without merit.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #30
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The game bundles have always had extra items if you beat the average. Last time there were 5 extra games (which I actually wanted more than the main 5). I don't know why you'd get them for paying next to nothing.

For me, I need to decide how much I want that graphic novel (I already have the Scalzi in paperback). If everyone could go and lower the average a bit, that would help.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote