Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
gianfri
Connoisseur
gianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony
New York Times recipe skipping some articles?

Hi, I am very new to recipes and I love them, I wish I could learn more.

Anyway, I am having a problem with the bult-in New York Times subscription recipe. Twice now I noticed that some articles present on the front page cover image are not downloaded. For example, on today's edition (12-29-2011) the top article on the fron page is about slums in India, yet the article itself is not downloaded by Calibre. It is available on the Web at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/29/wo...er=rss&emc=rss

Any idea why this would happen? I hate to miss some high profile articles and not even be aware that this is happening (this time I noticed it was missing because of the cover page, but other times I may not).

Thank you all for this great forum!

Gianfranco
gianfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Which recipe are you using? My download using the the regular (not the headlines) recipe includes that article.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
gianfri
Connoisseur
gianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura about

I am using the built-in recipe for the New York times, with subscription information. I tried again - the article is displayed on the cover, but not downloaded.....
Old 12-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Please post the mobi file you ended up with so I can take a look at it
Old 12-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
gianfri
Connoisseur

Here is the file with the missing article. Interesting, it is listed in the metadata on the right side window of Calibre:

"In One Slum, Misery, Work, Politics and Hope"

And it is on the front cover. But I cannot find it anywhere in the EPUB file.

Thank you for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: epub New York Times - calibre.epub (4.74 MB, 175 views)
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net

That is very peculiar because I don't think the NYT changes the today's paper index during the day (unlike the web front page). I got the full content in a mobi file but that doesn't affect the recipe download. If you want to pursue this you will have to post the log from the download so we can see if it's something weird happening on your computer.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
gianfri
Connoisseur

How do I get the log?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
gianfri
Connoisseur

I found the log

It looks like the log shows that the article failed to download, but of course I do not understand why.....

The article in questions starts with "in-indian-slum-misery" etc.

Thank you for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: txt Calibre log from NYT download.txt (224.2 KB, 408 views)
Old 12-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I made a change to that recipe that should fix that error, try it again and see.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
gianfri
Connoisseur

Great, thanks. How do I get to the new recipe?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just re-run the download, recipes are updated automatically.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
gianfri
Connoisseur

I did. That particular article is no longer on the list to be downloaded because it is old, so I have no way that I know of to check if the issue has been fixed. I will keep an eye on it for missing articles in the future.

Thank you for your help.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You should no longer see that error in the download log for any article. Of course, articles could fail for other reasons
Old 12-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
gianfri
Connoisseur

More missing articles...

From today's paper:

Could not fetch link http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/us...pagewanted=all

Could not fetch link http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/bu...pagewanted=all

Both from the front page (there may be more, though, these are only what I noticed).
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmpujGvKm copy.txt (247.5 KB, 207 views)
Old 12-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm, those errors make no sense. I'm at a loss.