Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
maxvoltar
SR-Noob
maxvoltar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Next-gen e-readers: When?!

Hi everybody! It's been a long time since I've visited these forums, but the launch of the Amazon Kindle made me come back.

So, the Amazon Kindle sucks. I'm guessing the screen is the same as the Sony Reader and all the other devices on the market right now.

I'm going to sell my Sony Reader, because it just isn't good enough to decently read ebooks on! The screen/resolution is to small to view an A4 in a format it deserves. I don't need colour (but it would be a plus) and I don't mind the lack of WIFI or Bluetooth. I don't even care about the slow page-refresh.

But recently, development seems to be rather disappointing... No revolutionary new products, no big brands with nicely designed e-readers.

Is there any hope for the feature? Because I can't seem to find upcoming new products...

Oh yeah, to all the makers of e-readers: SUPPORT MAC!
maxvoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvoltar View Post
I'm going to sell my Sony Reader, because it just isn't good enough to decently read ebooks on!
It's a fiction reader - a task it does extremely well.

Quote:
The screen/resolution is to small to view an A4 in a format it deserves.
When did you last see an A4 format novel? The Sony Reader is designed to read novels, and is intentionally sized to be approximately the same size as a paperback book.

Sorry that it doesn't meet your requirements, but they don't appear to be the market that it was designed for. Many people are extremely happy with the Reader.

Quote:
Is there any hope for the feature? Because I can't seem to find upcoming new products...
Hope for what? A4 screens? Probably 2009-ish for next-gen flexible screens from Plastic Logic, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
maxvoltar
SR-Noob
maxvoltar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Nevermind...
maxvoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If reading A4 PDFs is high priority, you'd probably be best with a tablet PC or a notebook at present, to be honest.

The price of eInk machine is controlled by the cost of screen manufacture. At present, a 6" screen runs at about $200 to manufacture; an 8" screen 2-3x that. That would probably put the price of an A4 screen at around $1500-2000, at which price point the market would, I suspect, be very limited.

Screen prices will inevitably fall as production ramps up. In a couple of years I'm sure we will see A4 devices at sensible prices, but not yet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
A4 flexible screens probably end 2008.
10 inch screens mid 2008, or whenever PVI resolves their problems.
Color 2010 or later.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
People... please do not comment on the Kindle like you know something for a fact when you are just guessing.

Quote:
So, the Amazon Kindle sucks. I'm guessing the screen is the same as the Sony Reader and all the other devices on the market right now.
Saying the Kindle is not good because you are guessing to totally the wrong thing to say. If you don't know, ask. Don't just assume something and then make disparaging comments based on a possibly faulty assumption. This will just cause the forum to sink to the same level as most of the comments about the Kindle on Amazon.com. Most of them are based on total nonsense from people that have no idea what it is they are saying. The Kindle, 505, and Gen3 are all designed primarily for reading books. That they will do very well. But to go half-cocked on no real information is wrong. So please do not do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
modsoul
Enthusiast
modsoul began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
i view a4 pdfs on the sony all day. AND I MEAN ALL DAY.

you just have to run it through rasterfarian and user it in landscape mode.
also if you so picky go buy a illiad for 700. that displays A4 pdfs very well without preprocessing.
weakest rant ever

/thread.
modsoul is offline   Reply With Quote