Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #856
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
the release notes to 1.8 are not complete - It contains important changes only. There are lots of minor fixes and improvements, which I am not keepeng in mind. Which important changes are you expecting in browser (in priority order)?

In our task list we have already some plans for browser improvement like: adding tabs, display pale fonts as black, improve of text input.

Currently the core of our devteam is heavily working on porting of Android to M92 and i62HD. This is why some plans have been postponed.
Mainly curious as you yourself mentioned improvements to the browser. Personally, I am mostly interested in points already submitted on the wishlist.
The (postponed) points you mention are good ones too.

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #857
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSSM View Post
With this firmware (and the previous one), the reader has issues with screen updating: when set to make a full screen update every 3 pages, the screen in fact never gets a full screen update.

When set to make a full screen update every 5 pages, everything works normally.
Thanks for pointing to that - I always did test the software with "always"
Will be fixed tomorrow.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #858
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
You guys ROCK!
I love the new functionality of the PDF reader.

Since you considered our opinions here are a couple of more suggestions:

-the icons on the new tool bar are not very visible in landscape mode. Probably a change in colour for the background of the toolbar will solve the problem

-zoom to half page. This refers to the physical size of the page and allows you to read a page by just pressing twice the "Next page (up/down)" button.

This will make your workflow very smooth. currently in order to get this fuctionality I do this.

1. On my PC I crop the document margins to the maximum possible.
2. Using the PDF measuring tools I measure the page and find out what is the middle of the vertical size of the newly cropped page.
3. I move the document on the e-reader and I use zoom between two points.

One of the points is the most of the left top reachable by pen point of the screen.
The other point is on the right side of the paper exactly at the middle point latitude measured at #2 above, the most to the right I can reach (point or press, if you want) with the pen

Caveats to this method: with a tight cropping the pen can not exactly reach the points you want. after a couple of attempts you find the ideal screen view size and you will be able to navigate the document, each page red in two steps.

Without tight cropping the unneeded white space chews up from your screen room and it also adds error when you try to find the exact two points you have to zoom to

Landscape mode is desired because it seems the best compromise between font size and a zoom where no scrolling left or right are needed.

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 10-30-2012 at 11:35 AM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #859
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. If you could notice - there are a few same icons for different features. Design of new icons is currently in process. They will be also available soon.
2. to be honest I don't really understand your suggestion. You are reading a PDF in landscape mode, don't you? In this mode the best solution would be just to select "fit to widht" zoom and "page/paper" mode. Please try it. You can also try to use "auto crop" in page settings menu (with sensivity 0-2 ). The margins can be easily adjusted with joystick
Old 10-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #860
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Hi Booxtor

ignore this, just skip to the example if you want to try
Quote:
OK let's try this, open up a document, switch your document in landscape mode and find the setting so you could read any of the pages of that document in two steps.
The chances are that if you zoom to page width (cropped or not) you will have to press three times "Next page" in order to cover 1 physical page. The small "Pano view" on the tool bar will show you that after you pressed the "Next page" button for the second time, yoou are still on the same page with a small left over of that page. This left over will be shown if you press "Next" for the third time.

The only way to go around this is to determine the horizontal middle of the PDF page and to zoom exactly to that. This way if you go back or forward you will always need two moves to read a text page.
Here are two examples:

1) for this one, open the doc, switch to landscape, use autocrop and zoom to width
http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI7023.pdf

You need to press Next twice to go from page 1 to 2

1) for this one use the same settings as for the first one:
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/s...tex/Errata.pdf

You will need to press the same button three times to get from page 1 to 2

In orger to get from page 1 to page 2 in just two steps you will need to use zoom between two points and you have to be able to select exactly the top left corner of the doc and the right middle point as the two points for zooming in.
Otherwise you will have the same problem as above. The problem is that the pen can not touch exactly that top corner although the image is displayed in the area that you can not touch. In other words there is a small horizontal strip at the top of the screen that is active for the reader but it can never be touched/reached with the pen

I hope it is clearer this time. For the programmer it will be a piece of cake to get the size of the page and to zoom in exactly to the half of it.
It is, if you want to call it so, a page size dependent zoom between two points: the top left corner and the middle right point

PS: the above happen no matter how loaded the page is with text.

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 10-30-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #861
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Hi Booxtor

ignore this, just skip to the example if you want to try

Here are two examples:

1) for this one, open the doc, switch to landscape, use autocrop and zoom to width
http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI7023.pdf

You need to press Next twice to go from page 1 to 2

1) for this one use the same settings as for the first one:
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/s...tex/Errata.pdf

You will need to press the same button three times to get from page 1 to 2

In orger to get from page 1 to page 2 in just two steps you will need to use zoom between two points and you have to be able to select exactly the top left corner of the doc and the right middle point as the two points for zooming in.
Otherwise you will have the same problem as above. The problem is that the pen can not touch exactly that top corner although the image is displayed in the area that you can not touch. In other words there is a small horizontal strip at the top of the screen that is active for the reader but it can never be touched/reached with the pen

I hope it is clearer this time. For the programmer it will be a piece of cake to get the size of the page and to zoom in exactly to the half of it.
It is, if you want to call it so, a page size dependent zoom between two points: the top left corner and the middle right point

PS: the above happen no matter how loaded the page is with text.
Go to page settings and try to set "custom margins" value to 40 and zoom level to 200%.
Or without changing of margins just set the zoom level to 190% (Menu Reading ->Customize Zoom)

But this particular two column PDF doc I would prefer to read in portrait mode (just try multi column automatic). You would need just one button to move the viewport and to read each column from top to bottom.

Last edited by Booxtor; 10-30-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #862
guidol
Enthusiast
guidol began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White
Wink

Quote:
Will be fixed tomorrow.
Additionally you could put the Firmware Version 1.8 to the About Page in the settings
After the update my M92 tells me
Firmware Version: 1.7 20121030

:-)
BTW: My own Power-Off Screen isnt anymore...must be reinstalled?

Last edited by guidol; 10-30-2012 at 03:21 PM.
guidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #863
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Go to page settings and try to set "custom margins" value to 40 and zoom level to 200%.
Or without changing of margins just set the zoom level to 190% (Menu Reading ->Customize Zoom)
It works, thanks!
I only hope that it will work for any type of doc
Do we have a new manual for this new firmware release ?
I would like to read about these new settings, I am a little bit lost :-) t
too many (good) changes
Old 10-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #864
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidol View Post
Additionally you could put the Frimware Version 1.8 to the About Page in the settings
After the update my M92 tells me
Firmware Version: 1.7 20121030

:-)
BTW: My own Power-Off Screen isnt anymore...must be reinstalled?
I know.. my fault - forget to change it in abouts.. Tomorrow I will publish a new link with correct software version, fixed screen update (after3 pages) and fixed German keyboard (YZ). I was just a little bit to much focused on testing other features...

Since the complete system must be modified during update - files, storaged in system area will be overwritten. But you can modify the update.zip before installation and copy your files like shutdown image, standby "screen savers", fonts, dictionaries etc. in it

Last edited by Booxtor; 10-30-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #865
PF4Mobile
Guru

What is the meaning of the horizontal grey dotted line that I see in some displaying modes?
What is the meaning of the numbers in the page settings, is that in cm or in?
Ex: page settings and try to set "custom margins" value to 40

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 10-30-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #866
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
bug report: the new pdf reader doesn't seem to support password protected pdfs . at least the one i have doesn't work, the loading icon just keeps spinning forever.
the old one works just nice: requests the password and upon insertion works like a champ.
thanks!
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #867
onyxuser
onyxuser began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Carta
Angry BUG

If user choose to use the old pdf reader, the settings are not saved after reboot.
After each turning on I need choose again the old pdf reader in options

Last edited by onyxuser; 10-30-2012 at 03:54 PM.
onyxuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #868
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
What is the meaning of the horizontal grey dotted line that I see in some displaying modes?
What is the meaning of the numbers in the page settings, is that in cm or in?
Ex: page settings and try to set "custom margins" value to 40
This horizontal interrupted grey line is visible boarder line of previous displayed viewport. It is helpful for fast finding of text line, where you finished to read the previous screen. This line is also visible in top viewport of the second column (two column mode). In this case it shows you additionaly the boarder line where the next screen will start. So, if you want, you can go to the next screen as soon as you got to this line.

This value in "Custom margins" is the width of the left and top stripes in pixels, which would be cut off of the page in "fit to page" mode. Sometimes auto crop does not work, when there are pictures ( like in your first sample), which are as width as the page. In this case we can use custom margins.

Last edited by Booxtor; 10-30-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #869
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
This horizontal interrupted grey line is visible boarder line of previous displayed viewport. It is helpful for fast finding of text line, where you finished to read the previous screen. This line is also visible in top viewport of the second column (two column mode). In this case it shows you additionaly the boarder line where the next screen will start. So, if you want, you can go to the next screen as soon as you got to this line.

This value in "Custom margins" is the width of the left and top stripes in pixels, which would be cut off of the page in "fit to page" mode. Sometimes auto crop does not work, when there are pictures ( like in your first sample), which are as width as the page. In this case we can use custom margins.
Wow... the dotted line is indeed a very useful feature! I love it ..I had the problem but I never thought about a remedy for it!

Re: value-perfect, I will try to play with it. By using that you can adjust the factor size between text width and page width. Cutting the margins and playing with custom zoom should get me the functionality that I was looking for: to be able to scroll over one page in two steps (landscape mode).

Thanks a lot!

I am anticipating problems when I will have to decide between sticking with this firmware and moving to Android when that is going to be released.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #870
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
It works, thanks!
I only hope that it will work for any type of doc
Do we have a new manual for this new firmware release ?
I would like to read about these new settings, I am a little bit lost :-) t
too many (good) changes
Yeap I can confirm that by playing with Custom zoom and by adjusting margins in Page settings, in portrait mode you can optimize your workflow by reading a page in two steps no matter what the page size is.

At this point the reader is perfect for me.
Only a bigger screen 12" will make me happier than I am.

Is there any way to change the default colour for highlighting?
I do realize that you need the current colour in order to be visible on the ereader but maybe that can be changed to "yellow" at merging time