Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
helmerer
helmerer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Search and replace not working

Hi,

at first I would like to thank Kovid Goyal for that great kind of Software!!!

But one issue I've encountered while I tried to remove page numbers from an epub.

The page numbers in the text look like: |10|

My regex for removal is: |[0-9]*|

When I press "Test" in the Wizard it takes a very long time an then the preview dialog shows about 1000000 occurrences. Also no highlights are mark the occurrences.

I've used the regex successfully with notepad++ to remove the page numbers.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Best Marco
helmerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I thought the vertical bar had special meaning in a regex. Have you tried escaping them as \|
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #3
helmerer

Ok, that does the trick. In other editors I don't have to escape them. Right now it's working.

Thanks for the immediate help :-)
Old 02-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I see two issues with your regex: First, as itimpi said, the vertical bar has special meaning, you'll need to escape it. Second, the asterisk as quantifier means "zero or more occurences", try using the plus quantifier, which means "one or more occurences". Thus, your regex should be
Code:
\|[0-9]+\|
Also note that the regex engine used in Notepad++ is decidedly unsimilar to the Python one used in Calibre. For example, Notepad++ doesn't support matching regexes across multiple lines. Use the test facilities Calibre provides if you want to construct a regex for Calibre.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
helmerer

Ok, I see, I'm not that expert :-) With your help I got i right. Thanks again!!
Advert