Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
warranty or not?

As a new owner of a K3, Amazon has offered me a last chance of a 2 year extended warranty (purchase agreement) on my Kindle. And I have to ask is it worth it?
I would appreciate any feedback you can offer
Thanks
Cathie
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Don't own a Kindle, but Consumer's Reports' opinion is a definite no. Personal opinion is -no. That said I would recommend you do what some people in the IT industry referr to as a burn in. Take the first month and run it raggaed, leave it on for twenty-four hours, use everything on the wifi possible, upload a book, take a book off the kindle, select every possible option on the menus (if there is a menu option for it use it), reset it once, play an MP3, look through some jpegs. In short in one month do everything you can to make it fail, if it survives then you don't need the waranty. If it fails your test the you probably should not have bought a kindle in the first palce.

I did this with my Libra pro and it showed a manufacter defect, and believe me Borders got an earful about that one. There second one survived and is still going.

Last edited by jbcohen; 01-31-2011 at 11:48 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would say no but if you decide to go for a warranty look at Square Trade. I believe their warrenties are less expensive and cover more then Amazons.

I guess it would depend on what your situation is. If you have kids running around and are really worried then maybe. But take a look at the plan. I think the warrenties have deductables or costs associated with them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would say no but if you decide to go for a warranty look at Square Trade. I believe their warrenties are less expensive and cover more then Amazons.

I guess it would depend on what your situation is. If you have kids running around and are really worried then maybe. But take a look at the plan. I think the warrenties have deductables or costs associated with them.
yup, go with a Square Trade warranty that includes accident coverage over the Amazon warranty. I know my credit card actually adds accident coverage while adding an extra year to the original warranty so I don't usually worry about these sort of warranties but the Square Trade coverage is, these days, very improved and nice from what I have read. Of course there are also those who are unlucky and run into red tape issues as well, so it's a coin toss I suppose.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I didn't bother getting an extended warranty for my Kindle 3. Although now I look at Amazon.co.uk, I can't seem to find the extended warranty anyway...

I didn't think it was worth paying that much to get 1 extra year worth of warranty and some increased protection during the first year. If my Kindle breaks past the standard 1 year guarantee then I'll ponder getting whatever the next Kindle will be and if its not out yet then I can always use another device until it does come out.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I got my 2yr warranty at SquareTrade for $26.59 with coupon and that includes accidental damage. Squaretrade is always offering coupons so google for them before paying full price.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie View Post
As a new owner of a K3, Amazon has offered me a last chance of a 2 year extended warranty (purchase agreement) on my Kindle. And I have to ask is it worth it?
Thanks
Cathie
Really good question.

I think you must take into consideration that in case of problem, the replacement will be an used device, not a new one.

In the case you can't afford a brand new device again or pay for a used one from your own pocket, it could be a good idea.

I personally do not believe in extended warranties, not even for cars. For electronic devices they usually do not cover 100% or the replacement will be used and you will have to pay for shipping; after doing the math (2 years or so) is the equivalent of saving about $5 every month yourself to keep a budget for a new device.

I also keep in perspective that after 2 years, most of electronic devices will be considered "old" or not so new in terms of technology. So if got broken or defective, I usually prefer to get a new one. Of course, this applies to my particular case or budget, I know most people can't afford doing that.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-01-2011 at 12:25 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If your Kindle breaks during the one year regualr warranty, you will get a refurbished unit.One that was sent back to Amazon for some reason, it could be that the individual received it as a gift and didn't want it and returned it, and has been thouroughly examined and determined to be as functional as a new unit.

There are used Kindles sold on e-bay and through Criags List. Those do not receive Amazon's stamp of approval and have not been vetted by Amazon.

Most people who receive refurbished Kindle's are very happy with them. A large number seem not to even know that it is a refurbished unit. ie You would be very happy with your refurbished Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
With Squaretrade,
if your Kindle can't be fixed they give you back the full price you paid for the device then you can buy a new one.

The Squaretrade warranty also covers replacements done by the manufacturer. So if you did return your Kindle through Amazon and the replacement is a refurbish unit. It's still covered. If later down the road it breaks or you accidental break it and it can't be fixed they will send you a check or paypal you the full price you paid and you can buy a new one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
With Squaretrade,
if your Kindle can't be fixed they give you back the full price you paid for the device then you can buy a new one.

The Squaretrade warranty also covers replacements done by the manufacturer. So if you did return your Kindle through Amazon and the replacement is a refurbish unit. It's still covered. If later down the road it breaks or you accidental break it and it can't be fixed they will send you a check or paypal you the full price you paid and you can buy a new one.
Squaretrade is definitely the way to go if you are going to get the warranty. There is usually discount code floating around... I don't remember what % off my code was, but when I bought my kindle, I got the 3 year extended warranty with accidental damage protection for $26. That's $14 less than Amazon's and it includes and extra year and 3 years of ADP.

I can also see the point of not getting one. If nothings goes wrong then you just spent $30-$40 for nothing other than peace of mind. However, for me $26 was worth it for peace of mind.

You just have to decide if it is worth it to you, and for me it is depending on the device and the cost of the device. I don't get warranties for all my devices, just a couple of the devices I think the risk is higher on (iPad, Digital Camera, and Kindle).
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
My opinion is that for cheaper electronics like the Kindle (K3 in particular), a warranty isn't worth it.

It depends on how long you plan to keep it and whether you can afford to replace it if disaster strikes.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
HemiSync
HemiSync began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Right now Squaretrade has the discount code of SUPER and is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $30 through 23:59 PT January 25th, 2011. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11:59pm PT February 7th, 2011.

So I can get the two year warranty for $21 & that includes the accident protection for my K3 that UPS is delivering today. As much as I expect to be carrying it around with me it seems like a good deal and normally I don't believe in extended warranties.
HemiSync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie View Post
Thanks
Cathie
When I dropped my K2 and ruined the screen, I was glad I had the extended warranty. The replacement arrived the next day at no charge.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
Appreciate the feedback and the insight everyone.
As I am such a klutz, and I take my K3 everywhere with me, I think that I will pony up for the warranty.
@ HemiSync: Thanks for the infor regarding Squaretrade.

Thanks everyone
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #15
Scott M
Scott M is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
With all the money I have saved by not purchasing extended warranties on all the electronics gear I have bought over the years, I can easily afford to replace the occasional unit that may fail during an extended warranty period and still be way ahead financially.

Extended warranties are pushed so much by retailers because they are a huge money maker for the seller.
Scott M is offline   Reply With Quote