Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
BSquaredInOz
BSquaredInOz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
All books with DRM not readable on my device suddenly

Anyone else encountered this?

Last night I was reading a book with DRM that I'd bought through a major Australian eBook seller. Put the device to sleep. This morning when I woke the device up when I open the book it says "this book is protected by DRM" and I can't see the book's content on the device at all. I checked all the other 27 books on my device and all the books bought through major stores (i.e. not the ones from Smashwords or other DRM free avenues) get the same error message.

Nothing happened to the device overnight. It sat on my bedside table calmly minding its own business.

If I do a complete shut down of the device and then re-start it I can all of a sudden access the books again but my bookmarks/notes/last place reading are all gone.
BSquaredInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
You might want to look at this thread.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
tasreader
tasreader began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Hi frustrated e readers. today I had the same problem as this person, Im away from home and nearly cried when my christmas present started mucking me around. I had simply charged the unit up overnight off my laptop. Went to read something when I was away from home but instead I got a protected by digital rights management screen, no access to the books.
I did a quick google serach and ended up here. Unfortunatly I really did not get a solution from the folks here.
So I ended up doing a 'soft reset' - put a pin in the reset button on the base of the unit while the thing's asleep. Then re awaken the ereader and hay presto I could access my books again.
It seems this problem is a bit of a glitch with these devices.
So dont stamp on it or throw it at a wall like I wanted to.
Good luck
tasreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Great first post, tasreader!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader 650
I also have had this problem about 3 times. It has happened to me when the reader has powered down completely by itself, after not being used for a couple of days. The same message has come up and I have had to power down completely and start it up again. I can then get back into the book but it opens at the start so you don't know what page you are up to. Didn't use any pins though.
DarkRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
It's never happened to me on my 650. But then, I'm good friends with Apprentice Alf (and Google) and I think he protects me.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
ShaneR
Enthusiast
ShaneR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650; PW2
This just happened to me this morning for the first time on my new 650.

Although, after 2-3 attempts at opening, it opened at the beginning.

Strange.
ShaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
I hate DRM. Had the same thing happen to me with one of my books. It fixed itself after a while, but I shouldn't have to deal with something like that in the first place. Luckily its not so hard to strip the DRM.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This happened to me once on my 950 a few weeks ago. I powered off and on. All was well again. It hasn't happened since. I don't recall ever having this issue on my previous Sonys.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I haven't had that happen before, although I usually strip my purchased books after I buy them. I know, stripping is bad, but so is rebuilding my book collection after a publisher decides to pull a book off the shelf.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Well gosh it's good to know I'm in good company.

It happened to me once. I deleted and reloaded it and have had no problem since. But for the next couple weeks I opened that book up every day fearing it would somehow be permanently lost (while I was sidetracked reading some other things).
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRoast View Post
I also have had this problem about 3 times. It has happened to me when the reader has powered down completely by itself, after not being used for a couple of days. The same message has come up and I have had to power down completely and start it up again. I can then get back into the book but it opens at the start so you don't know what page you are up to. Didn't use any pins though.
Same thing just happened to me. Just a full power off and back on and the books became readable, but my place in the book I was reading was gone.

I think there may be a bug in the firmware with shut down. I turned Power Management OFF.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

DRM is so broken and heinous it's actually the best tool to convert people to the virtues of DRM-free formats. I wonder why the big distributors don't realize they're shooting themselves in the foot with DRM, as it's a weak copy protection at best, but a great way to annoy customers...
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Yup, DRM is such a pain.

I confess to only ever using ebooks from dubious sources in the past, as I'm still in the habit of buying paperbacks of newer stuff. That said, for the first time ever, I bought an ebook from Waterstones for my 650 the other day. 2 days later, "This book is protected by DRM" appeared. I re-copied it over and it's not happened since but the experience really does not endear me towards DRM'd material. Luckily, I noticed it just before leaving for work so it was quickly resolved. If it happens again I'll try the soft reset method.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote