Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Does anyone have a good edition of the James Potter Series?

I've been fighting with the pdf's all day, but I can't seem to get a decent copy out of the PDF's from the author's website.

I got rid of the footers, no problem, but Calibre won't convert the html for some reason, and I'm trying to get rid of the huge spaces between paragraphs while retaining the images at the head of each chapter, something that Amazon's conversion service cannot manage.

I've tried editing the books as epub in Sigil but I really don't know what I'm doing with Sigil so that is also a no-go.

Is this even the right section for this? If not, I'm sorry, but to try and stay on topic, I would highly recommend the James Potter series, a continuation in the world of Harry Potter, following Harry's son James and his adventures in the world of magic.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
Kiwiscott
eReader Noob
Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS 300, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Kobo Mini
Can't really help with the formatting issue, sorry, but thanks for the heads up on the James Potter series.

A quick download of the pdfs and they read fine on my Sony in unaltered format and when converted to ePub, although the lines are a bit disjointed (Ive seen a lot worse)

So thanks for the tip! and good luck with the formatting issues!
Kiwiscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Charlotte90T
Charlotte90T began at the beginning.

Device: Android - Aldiko
where can I get the series u mentioned? thanks..
Charlotte90T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
I converted mine using PDFtoepub from http://www.pdftoepub.com and it kept the pictures, and there are no spaces between the paragraphs. It really didn't turn out too bad.

@ Charlotte: Here's the link to the author's website: [link deleted] You can get all 3 books in pdf format only. I've read the first one, and while it's not Rowling, it's quite good. It's fanfic about Harry & Ginny's son at Hogwarts.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-20-2011 at 04:41 AM.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice

Please do not post links to copyright-infringing material.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry--I apologize. The link I gave was to the author's site. I didn't realize that was against the rules.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's no problem, but, as I say, we don't permit links to material which infringes copyright, as this quite blatantly does.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
You mean on JK Rowling's copyright, right? Does fan fiction infringe on copyright?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am surprised because a popular "social book site" which promotes good reads has a James Potter book, in online, pdf, and epub format. I would think that site would not list them, if they are not legal.

eP
Old 03-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard

I did some more digging. It doesn't address the issue of fan fiction and copyright infringement in general, but with respect to these books in particular, JK Rowling sued and then later removed the lawsuit and said that she "supported the novel and any others like it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_d...Norman_Lippert

I understand that this site has a complicated task of abiding by copyright in many countries, but in the US at least, this series are very much legal.

eP
Old 03-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
You mean on JK Rowling's copyright, right? Does fan fiction infringe on copyright?

eP
Yes, it does. If you create a work using another author's characters without their permission, that's called a "derived work" and, unless you have the copyright holder's permission, is a violation of copyright law. In the case of Ms. Rowling's work, there are also trademark issues involved since, as is usual when movies are involved, all the main characters' names are registered trademarks.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-20-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard

But Harry, these books are legal. The copyright holder, JK Rowling, has allowed it.

eP
Old 03-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Nonetheless, I'm afraid we do have a site policy not to permit links to fan-fiction, because the overwhelming majority of it is NOT legal. I suspect that what's actually the situation in this case is that Ms. Rowling has turned a blind eye to it. If the author were to try to publish the books commercially, I'm absolutely certain that she would have a very rapid change of heart .
Old 03-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard

I am sorry to keep harping on this issue, and I really do appreciate all the work involved in running this site. But I just have to ask: on this thread, you remove a link to one author's site, which has his own legal work on it, and in another thread about fan fiction, there are perhaps a dozen links to fan fiction clearinghouse type sites, which are much more likely to contain both legal and illegal works? I speak of the thread "Fan Fiction - Why?" in General Discussions.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
MmavisO
Seeker

In my unneeded defense, I got the link here in a thread about what to read after Harry Potter, which is why I thought it was OK to post. Plus the fact that the books include information about the copyright question, and that JK Rowling has give her permission for these books to be distributed.

And thank you Harry for clarifying that it is the fact that this is fan fiction that is the problem. I've read the site policies, but this one slipped my mind.