Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Question for adventure writers: How much research do you do?

I am curious because I been wanting to write a story for a VERY long time. I haven't done it since High School though. About 5 months ago I did begin writing an openning chapter to a horror book, but then realized, I didn't know where to go with the story after I established it.

I love reading books like James Rollins Sigma Force series. Basically Indiana Jones type stories.

I was thinking about writing one that took place around the Mayan Civilization. It's a popular topic now, and figured to feed off that while it is a hot topic. (not for money reasons, but for the reason people will get it probably and get feedback on what to improve)

I wonder how much research do you do on an area that you want your story to take place? Especially if you implement archeolgy and ruins or other things.

Do you actually visit places where you want your story to take place, or rely on the internet now for such things?

I am just curious to see what others do. Also if you have written a type of story like this, and have it in ebook form, please let me know, since I will be willing to check it out.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
J. Dean
Author: Clade Josso
J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Do enough to the extent that it affects your plot. This is one of the big problems with Dan Brown: faith matters aside for a moment, the dufus doesn't do his research and his books make him look like an uneducated idiot.
J. Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dean View Post
Do enough to the extent that it affects your plot. This is one of the big problems with Dan Brown: faith matters aside for a moment, the dufus doesn't do his research and his books make him look like an uneducated idiot.

AGREED!

That is why I really like Rollins. After every story he tells you where he got his information and what books you should read to learn more, and tells you what he embelished a bit.

I couldn't get far in Brown's latest, I got a headache. One his style, and two he is so far off with stuff. I get it is fiction, but when he runs around on TV programs saying it is fact, I have an issue.

Also just read your ebook description and I think I am going to pick that up!

Last edited by rock; 04-22-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
It varies by style and genre, really. If you are really going to go high adventure and make it like a comic book or old movie serial, you probably don't need to be AS accurate (especially if your hero is defying the laws of gravity and such).

However, every small inaccuracy can add up - so your best bet is to read up on the subject. Not just on the facts, but look for travel pictures and things. Read existing novels on the subject. (Remember that Hollywood gets to be more inaccurate than books do, because psychologically "seeing is believing" and they don't use words for everything. If a movie hero uses a gun, it's just there - but if you don't know the terminology for the gun, then your description in a novel will show your lack of knowledge.)
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
rock
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaringNovelist View Post
It varies by style and genre, really. If you are really going to go high adventure and make it like a comic book or old movie serial, you probably don't need to be AS accurate (especially if your hero is defying the laws of gravity and such).

However, every small inaccuracy can add up - so your best bet is to read up on the subject. Not just on the facts, but look for travel pictures and things. Read existing novels on the subject. (Remember that Hollywood gets to be more inaccurate than books do, because psychologically "seeing is believing" and they don't use words for everything. If a movie hero uses a gun, it's just there - but if you don't know the terminology for the gun, then your description in a novel will show your lack of knowledge.)

Some very good tips.

I read a lot on the genre, so I have a good idea how they work. I understand the descriptions of guns, what is what I liked about Rollins. He will tell you what it is, and basically have the character think about the weapon if you know what I mean. For like the description. I may start with short stories until I can perfect it.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm rolling an idea for a buddy cop comedy adventure set in Victorian London at the moment (it's better than it sounds...honestly) and I know that before I even start the thing, I'll have to spend an in-ordinate amount of time researching the era and location before I start writing.

The others are right...an inaccuracy can ruin a story as much as a bad typo or spelling mistake, if not even more so.

I'd suggest a good couple of months researching at least before beginning to write. This might even lead to some new plot ideas.
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:19 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It really depends on how much accurate facts will impact your story. Too many local facts piled into a story can make it seem like a travelogue, and if done too heavily can distract from the story itself. Know how much is "too much," and use enough to make elements of the story clear, and add some interesting color... then stop, and get on with storytelling.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote